CO exposure? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-26-2004, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our muffler broke on the way home today and we had it rigged to stay in place while we drove the rest of the way (we were pretty close, 10-15mins). We drove with the windows and sunroof open the whole time and I covered my face with my shirt and only breathed through my nose and even stuck my head out the window on a regular basis to make sure I got fresh air :LOL.

Should I be worried about CO having an effect on my unborn baby? I ate when I got home and he's kicking up a storm now so I'm hoping it's ok, but after looking stuff up online, I'm worried. I'm not experiencing any symptoms, but I read in one place that even if the mama has no symptoms, it can still affect the unborn baby.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2004, 01:50 PM

I was so hoping you would get some replies and info.

My hubby is dragging his feet about getting our muffler fixed ($ issues of course), and the muffler is falling off. I will no longer ride in the car or allow my son to ride in it. He of course thinks I'm making a big deal out of nothing :rolleeys

Did you come across any good links about carbon monoxide and the muffler situation?

Hope someone else gives you some more info.
Amy
Old 09-28-2004, 01:32 AM

I am no expert, but I would tend not to worry about one 10 or 15 minute ride, with very good ventilation (windows open, etc).

If it is a long-term issue I would be more concerned. If you are worried about CO exposure in your car and whether or not to fix the muffler, I wonder if a carbon monoxide detector (like they make for homes) would be effective in a car?

I have a friend whose daughter suffered some effects from CO exposure - but it (the exposure) was over the course of the entire pregnancy, and the baby's early infancy (CO leak in the heating system in their home that went undetected for a long time). I would think that one very brief episode, with lots of fresh air, can't be too harmful!
Old 09-28-2004, 01:45 PM

Well, just wanted to update you on our situation.

I called a mechanic yesterday so hubby could drive the car down for an estimate. Only $100, so he got it fixed today.

The more I think about your situation Jessica, the more I am not worried. I remembered during my DS's pregnancy, we had the furnace serviced at our rental house. The oil guys said, "wow, I can't believe you aren't dead yet". A huge hole in the furnace leaking Carbon monoxide. Our landlord was very negligent and hadn't had the furnace *looked at* in 10 yrs.

I went and got a blood test and it came back negative. And that was like 28 weeks in, so I had a lot of exposure.

I'm sure you are fine, but you can get a blood test if you are worried.
Amy
Old 09-28-2004, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies! I think everything is ok, but the websites I had been looking at were really freaking me out. I had a tough time trying to figure out how the info applied to my situation too since most were about homes or running a car in a garage. I haven't been back in the car yet, but dh just got it fixed this morning so it's all better.

User Tag List