Low iron, vit. B12 and fatigue - help!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-04-2004, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Help mamas!!

I'm finishing my 3rd trimester and it's my third child. I had low iron supplies first 2 times, but now it's really affecting me. I take natural liquid iron and already take double the normal dose, and it's not being absorbed.

Has anyone had a similar problem?

I really hate to feel so tired all the time and I don't want to go through another 6 months this way....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2004, 12:00 PM

My iron is really low right now, and I know how tough it is. s.

As far as iron absorption, from what I've read it's suggested you take it with vitamin C. Also, I've read that antacids like Tums and Rolaids will make it difficult to absorb iron, as well as caffeine. My mw said to take my iron with meals, but I've read if you take it without food and a glass of OJ it will absorb better.

I hope you're able to get your supplies up before delivery...
Old 10-04-2004, 02:24 PM

My dd has celiacs and so B12 is a biggie for us.

Are you eating meat? Animal fats are necessary for B vites tho I know some hardcore vegans would disagree. Make sure your meat is free range. If you need a local farmer check out www.eatwild.com

I loaded up on leafy greens while pregnant. I ate spinach salads like crazy plus it was easier to fix. Left over chicken or meat thrown on top of bagged spinach with my favorite dressing.

Good luck!
Old 10-07-2004, 03:40 PM

Elana,

Which liquid iron are you taking? I take Floradix, which really improves my iron levels. I had very low iron stores with my first pregnancy, and when I started taking Floradix, my levels increased markedly within the first three weeks.

You may want to talk to your doctor or someone about why your body is not absorbing the iron.

Good luck to you. I know how fatigued I feel when my iron is low.

~Scout
Old 10-07-2004, 03:50 PM

I have low iron also and have always had border line iron levels. I have been told eating dairy with iron limits your body's ability to absorb it. Even switching dairy to another meal may help. Have you tried alfalfa supplements? They have a lot of iron and seem to be processed well.

User Tag List