Stabbing Pain in my Cervix!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 10-15-2004, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm hoping for some help as to whether I can ignore (yeah right) this pain--as in, is this normal???
Ok, so I'm having this pain in my cervix, it's not constant, it seems to come and go along with what I'm assuming are braxton hicks contrax. (tightening, but no pain) I'm only 23 weeks along btw.
So I would describe this pain as..... someone is stabbing a knife into my cervix and then rotating it. As fast as it comes on, it goes away (usually about 30 seconds)
So, do I worry, do I ignore it, do I rush to labor and delivery (acckkk, my doc is on holidays for 2 weeks!)
We do know that she is sitting very low in my pelvis--is she just putting pressure on everything??
#2 of 19 Old 10-15-2004, 06:39 PM

sounds like lots of pressure to me. I occassionally swore that my last baby had his finger in my cervix and was poking it to see what happened.
#3 of 19 Old 10-15-2004, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

I just told my dh that she was trying to claw her way out early!!
#4 of 19 Old 10-15-2004, 07:15 PM

I have occasionally had that too with all of my pregnancies. It's no fun, but probably normal
#5 of 19 Old 10-15-2004, 09:46 PM

Have you ever had a colposcopy, LEEP or punch biopsy of your cervix for an abnormal pap smear?

Sometimes when one of those things is done, it pinches the tissue next to or near a nerve, and with the increased bloodflow during pregnancy the nerve ends up pinched ..

I get it a lot too.
#6 of 19 Old 10-15-2004, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

nope, never had anything done there--at least there is one area of my body that has not had surgery!!
I've been keeping an eye on it and they definitley happen at the same time as the bh contrax.
So, dh's question, how do you differentiate between bh and pre term labor signs???
#7 of 19 Old 10-15-2004, 11:13 PM

I've been getting that too. Not with braxon-hicks just in general; I think it's more like the little person rolling on some nerves. I'm not sure which makes me jump more - the cervical stabbing pains or the rectal : I've had it much more this time that my first two but I'm carrying lower. I think it just normal compression of nerves - there is a whole person pushing on things and it gets a little cramped sometimes.

It can be difficult to distinguish between bh and early labor. In general you feel bh as a tightening of your uterus. Contractions, even early ones, usually involve tightening but also cramping, almost like mentrual, or lower back discomfort or pain. The problem is the "usually"; everyone is different, sometimes women don't feel anything but tightening in early labor, etc. BH also usually go away if you change what you are doing - if you are walking, they go away if you sit; if you are resting, they go away if you get active. Real contractions don't stop no matter what you do. Also the number 1 cause of early contractions is dehydration - even slight dehydration - so drink, drink, drink.
#8 of 19 Old 10-15-2004, 11:16 PM

Signs of PTL
- More than 4 BH contractions an hour (so more than every 15 minutes), can feel painless or like cramping
- Backaches/pressure
- leaking of fluid
- DON'T stop if you lay down & drink a bunch of fluid

If the BH ctx are less than every 15 min, go away with rest & hydration, etc.

As for your pain, I'm not sure what it could be. Round ligament pain? Pinched nerve?'

Just keep an eye on the BH, because IF you do go into PTL, the faster they start to treat it, the better.
GOOD LUCK!!
#9 of 19 Old 10-15-2004, 11:45 PM

Shannon, could it be round ligament pain? I have so many different aches and shooting pains these days (rectal too.. yay fun ) that I wonder how much of that is me sensing the pain in a location that is just due to nerve compression or a ligament stretching. Other ideas re: checking with your OB sound good too.
#10 of 19 Old 10-16-2004, 12:08 AM

Shannon,
I just had pains like that earlier this evening. It felt like the baby was trying to poke through my cervix. I think it was just the baby moving around. My little guy is riding very low too. I don't think by itself it's a sign of PT labor, but if you have other symptoms and are worried about it, definately get it checked out.
#11 of 19 Old 10-16-2004, 12:21 AM

I've had similar pains, but they're not only confined to my cervix area. It's as if the knife from my cervix is then shooting up to my belly button...so fun. I've noticed that when I stand/walk for more than an hour it really starts...I plan on asking my mw at my next appt. about this. I waited tables with ds and would be on my feet for 7, 8, 9+ hours at a time through my 7th month and NEVER had this... :
#12 of 19 Old 10-16-2004, 12:58 PM

I used to have similar pains, but later in pregnancy. It was Aleks grinding his head and/or his hands on my cervix, which I could tell. I'd keep an eye on it though to make sure it's not PTL.

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#13 of 19 Old 10-17-2004, 02:54 AM

I had this in my last pregnancy. It felt exactly the way you described it. I remember several times I'd be walking down the hall at work or something and I would get it and I would have to stop walking for a minute or so before I could continue again. I asked my midwife about it and she said that this is something that some women get but not all women. She said probably 1 in 3 women get this at some point, and it's not harmful, just very annoying!

Kate
#14 of 19 Old 10-17-2004, 12:29 PM

I am getting the same kind of pains here at 35 weeks pregnant and i just had a check up and everything was closed and fine. Good luck though. If you think you are in PTL i would call the on call Dr.
#15 of 19 Old 10-17-2004, 01:15 PM

With my previous two pregnancies I had LOTS of bh contrax. They feel like a tightening in your uterus, sometimes it literally gets as hard as a rock. They happened for me a lot when I was walking. The way I knew it was real labor is that the contrax would start in my lower back, like menstrual cramps and then wrap around to my uterus, tightening it. The key for me was that with bh I did not have that crampy lower back and with real contrax I did.
#16 of 19 Old 10-18-2004, 06:28 AM

I remember having those pains, but it was only once in a while and didn't last for very long. I've even had those short, sharp (very sharp) pains in my cervix in the early weeks of pg. I had one about 2 days after conception this time, and that's one of the things that said, "hey, you're pregnant!" :LOL
Speaking of the cervix, I remember the baby trying to dig his/her way out. : VERY ANNOYING. It felt like he/she was scratching my cervix repeatedly. (Like a little GYN in there doing a pap, over and over and over..) :
Not exactly looking forward to that part again with baby#3!
#17 of 19 Old 10-18-2004, 07:05 AM

Sure it's not a UTI??!! I get them at the end of my pregnancies and it sux! My only symptom is the really sharp pain right down in what seems like my cervix but when I thought about it was the UT. Mine would also come during BH. They could get really bad too so I know what you mean.
I take mega doses of cranberry concentrate now (1200 mg) to hopfeully make it go away and the stabbing pains have dropped a lot.
Ann

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#18 of 19 Old 10-18-2004, 07:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Oh thank goodness. This is one of the things I was coming on here to post!!!! I'm 22 weeks and for about the last month or so I've been getting these pains too. This is my second pregnancy(dh's first) and I said to dh when they started, I bet this kid is laying right on my bladder and kicking my cervix. And lo and behold, at the ultrasound Tuesday the tech goes, "oh look, she's sitting right on your bladder! Look at that! She seems pretty comfy there because she won't budge, and did you feel that kick in the cervix????" Ummmm hello, I've got about a pound of weight whacking my ultra-sensitive, pregnant, engorged cervix. Yeah I FELT IT!!! Jerk. But honestly, I get those stabbing pains almost constantly. With my dd, I was on my feet for 6-8hours at a time working customer service until the day before my due date and had no problems. This little one is literally laying transverse breech on my bladder and cervix. Thank god I'm a sahm now!!!!
Meg
(by the way, sometimes if lay down for a minute it knocks her off balance long enough to stop the pains. she punches me somewhere else for about 10 minutes and then heads back to my cervix)

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#19 of 19 Old 10-18-2004, 10:53 AM

I get those pains too. I had them worse with my first. My midwife jokingly referrred to it as 'Knife in the Vagina Syndrome' and I tell you, that is just what it feels like. She said it has to do with the baby putting pressure on a nerve. It could be when you are having BH it is shifting the baby over and onto that nerve. I have had it strong enough to send me to my knees. Try getting on all fours and do pelvic rocks, it might shift the baby off your nerve.

Sandy, proud mama and henna artist. :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page