morning sickness remedies - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 10-20-2004, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any great ideas?

I get some relief from ginger tea. Sniffing a lemon helps in the moment that I am sniffing it - same for chewing papaya tablets.

I'm very grateful that I'm not full-on vomiting - but I'm tired of feeling yucky 24/7!
#2 of 11 Old 10-21-2004, 12:04 AM

believe it or not, peanut butter - something about keeping a small amount of protein in my system helped tremendously, and peanut butter was one of the easiest things for me to get down. For a good month, i was never far from a jar of peanut butter and a spoon.
#3 of 11 Old 10-21-2004, 02:15 AM

I second the protein suggestion. Also, for me, chewing gum helps a lot. I hate chewing gum (I have jaw problems) but it kills the nausea for a little bit.

And with my first, I slept with a hankerchief dipped in peppermint oil - it helped interrupt the quease.
#4 of 11 Old 10-21-2004, 08:51 AM

I've seen some swear by plain baked potatoes. I've been sipping gatorade at work and that has been helping.
My first doctor suggested this (which did work too, I just haven't had a chance to get to the store): get a can of fruit cocktail, drain off the juice and drink that slowly. That syrupy, sugary stuff works.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#5 of 11 Old 10-21-2004, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

I've discovered fruit cocktail too! It has to be cold, though!
#6 of 11 Old 10-21-2004, 03:29 PM

Blech! Just thinking about fruit cocktail juice makes me want to puke!
#7 of 11 Old 10-21-2004, 03:37 PM

I seem to have a different kind of m/s - for me if I don't have something in my stomach I feel the worst, so I am eating 24/7 to keep the tummy ache away. I have found that random foods help, here is my list (see I am always eating!)

Rice Checks and Milk
Kefir
Yogurt, creamy lemon
bagel
cream of wheat

Also, I keep some sour gummy bears in my purse, they seem to help for a minute or two in an emergency.
Sometimes I have peppermint tea. Also, I crave soda (cola) but I am trying not to go there.
#8 of 11 Old 10-21-2004, 03:51 PM

I just read that grain teas especially rice is great for ms.
You lightly fry the grain/rice(not quick rice) till its golden, then steep it, or mabe boil then steep. You can strain or dink as is.
And if you toast grain(barley) then put it through a grinder and then toast it some more it supposedly makes a good coffee substitute.
#9 of 11 Old 10-21-2004, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Today I discovered that I feel better while eating a doughnut and drinking chocolate milk. Oh oh!! :
#10 of 11 Old 10-22-2004, 12:46 AM

Seabands. They are accupressure bracelets originally designed to fend off seasickness. You can get them at most drugstores. They worked wonders for my morning sickness with all of my pregnancies (except the first because I didn't know about them then).
#11 of 11 Old 10-23-2004, 12:08 AM

I also have the all-day, never-throwing-up nausea. Sometimes I wish I could just do it - there is this fantasy that it will make me feel better. (I know it's not true.)

Mornings are a horror for me. I discovered that the nausea really peaks as soon as I eat something. Or drink something. This morning I took a big gulp of water while still in bed because I was parched. IMMEDIATE URGENT WAVES of NAUSEA - I had to go into the bathroom and hang my head over the toilet for a long time, which is pretty unusual. The other day, in contrast, I very deliberately did not eat or drink anything until I had been up for several hours. I was starving by then (and finally broke down and slowly ate half an avocado) but I never did feel quite as bad that day.

I too find gummi bears helpful. I was craving both them and Skittles, and a few in my mouth will somehow displace/ward off all the yucky, sick-making smells and tastes besetting me from all sides.

I can't drink coffee or tea, and I miss the ritual/comfort - especially first thing in the morning. I've found that I can stomach green tea (genmai cha) and its blandness helps calm me. Beverages in general make me feel soooo ill - and yet I am trying to avoid what happened to me last time: I was so dehydrated - could NOT stomach any liquids - that I ended up getting a raging bladder infection and had to take two rounds of antibiotic because it was so strong (none of my home remedies helped. It was my first bladder infection in about 20 years).

I am craving Diet Coke (?!) - my tummy thinks it might make me feel better - but haven't given in to the temptation yet. Orangina goes down OK; everything else is anathema.

One of the most maddening things about morning sickness IMO is that I'm constantly terrorized by foods and food smells yet I'm also constantly fantasizing about food. It's such a tight-rope walk finding something palatable to eat. Or finally settling on just the right thing to eat, then getting it only to discover that, NO no no no nonono! - I can't eat that at all.

Last pregnancy I ate a ton of donuts, pancakes, french toast and vanilla ice cream in my first trimester - it was all I could stand - and promptly gained 20 lbs. by week 16!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page