Natural remedies for irritable uterus/ptl - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-27-2004, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had 4 months of bedrest with terbutaline with my DS. I'm now 15 weeks and the contractions have started. No more than 3/hr yet but it is making me nervous since i'm so early. i've heard of fish oil supplements but I don't know how much. Anyone have success with natural rememdies to slow contractions? if so, I'd love to hear about it. Or any websites with info would be great!!

Thanks so much!!
#2 of 9 Old 10-27-2004, 02:24 PM

I'd love to hear about this too! I had no preterm labor with my first, but she was a little early, 4 weeks. This pregnancy, I had BH contractions starting at 17 weeks, and ended up in the hospital getting monitored for them a couple of days ago because I had 6 in an hour. They also gave me terbutaline and vistaril. I really want this kid to stay put for a looooong time!
#3 of 9 Old 10-27-2004, 03:11 PM

I dealt with this during my last PG. What worked for me was to drink an infusion of Black Haw Root Bark tea daily. Also used Flase Unicorn tincture. Remember to stay well hydrated. No enough water can absolutely cause a slew of BH's. Warm baths can help calm an irritable uterus. Maybe if you are close to term you might feel comfortable with a glass (or ½ glass) of wine?

I started becoming aware of BH's @ 24wks last time. It wasn't until 28wks that they started feeling "different"... I had actually dilated to 2 cm... and stayed there until I was in labor with DS #3 who was born 11 days past his EDD. So an irritable uterus may not be indicative of an early baby.

I've heard of extra calcium supplements as well... Sorry but I don't have much info on the specifics. Maybe www.gentlebirth.com/archives will have more info? Best wishes for a happy, healthy FULL term PG.
#4 of 9 Old 10-27-2004, 04:29 PM

False Unicorn Root and Crampbark. Also there is a tincture out there called Welcome Womb.

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
#5 of 9 Old 10-27-2004, 04:47 PM

I was told to drink red raspberry leaf tea for mine but I only had irritable uterus not PTL. I did frequently have 6 or so contrax/hour but I had no cervical changes. I'm already feeling them with this pg but I'm not too worried because it is common to have BH earlier with each pg and I assume that there not causing cervical changes just like last time.
#6 of 9 Old 10-27-2004, 04:50 PM

My midwives had me to double-strength chamomile tea and red raspberry leaf tea for PTL I had (happened about every 2 weeks from 24 weeks on). That worked, but had it not they had cramp bark, lobelia and valerian on hand to do a little stronger "relaxation".

calcium and magnesium are also vital to help prevent PTL and irritable uterus (contractions but no dilation).
#7 of 9 Old 10-27-2004, 08:10 PM

I had a very cranky uterus my last pregnancy. My medwife thought I was in preterm labor, put on bedrest, yadda yadda yadda, my son was a little late.

I read Aviva Romm's book "The Natural Pregnancy" and she said something about drinking dairy products can cause an irritable uterus. Well, the funny thing is, my son is allergic to dairy and since we are b/fing, I am off too (although I get a little immune response to it to since I tried it again). Well guess what. I'm 34w, and am having no signs of any crankiness whatsoever.

So, I don't know. :LOL

I do heartily recommend her book!
Amy
#8 of 9 Old 10-27-2004, 10:09 PM

I've had some spotting this pregnancy, which isn't the same, but the treatment might be. I have two books I'd recommend looking up. I have Herbs for the Childbearing Year, which has some good herbs to take. Also Herbal Healing for Women by Rosemary Gladstar.

Herbs for the Childbearing Year talked about Black Haw tea, and if unable to use that, then crampbark. Also, to take 200-400 mg of Vitamin E (A-tocepherols, which are supposed to be better quality, better for pregnancy complications). The other book talked more about combining tinctures using cramp bark, false unicorn root, and black haw.

Both also emphasized getting lots of rest.
#9 of 9 Old 10-27-2004, 11:11 PM

I used False Unicorn Root tincture - drops in a little water every 5 minutes, gradually increasing the time between doses as the contractions subsided.
I used this to keep myself from needing a 3rd hospital stay with my 3rd pregnancy - I had Mag Sulphate the first trip in, Terb the second trip, and then did the False Unicorn at home after that. It works SO WELL, and with none of the horrendous side-effects of the drugs, I'm really really incredulous that it isn't used more commonly!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page