apple cider vinegar "cocktail" while pregnant? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-27-2004, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I recently bought a big bottle of apple cider vinegar (ACV) for rinsing my hair. I got interested in other uses of it and read the Bragg book about ACV's uses. I couldn't find anything in the book relating to ACV and pregnancy - does anybody know if it's safe to take the ACV "cocktail" (equal parts ACV and honey in warm water) while pregnant? Anybody do it when not pregnant?

TIA,
Barb
#2 of 7 Old 10-27-2004, 03:06 PM

I did that throughout most of my last pregnancy to keep the heartburn at bay, but toward the end it was just too harsh
#3 of 7 Old 10-27-2004, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Did the vinegar help keep your heartburn away? I'm surprised as for me it seems that acidic things give me more heartburn! Was there anywhere that you read about ACV and pregnancy?

Happy Belated Birthday to your daughter! We share what I consider to be a wonderful day.

Barb
#4 of 7 Old 10-27-2004, 11:44 PM

because I'm curious too....I saw some at the People's Market today and for some reason I was "attracted" to it. Go figure!
#5 of 7 Old 10-28-2004, 01:02 AM

My OB suggested I take it for heartburn. I just use a tbsp in a large glass of water though. I thought honey was bad during pregnancy??
#6 of 7 Old 10-28-2004, 01:25 AM

vinegar is not acidic, but a neutralizer, hence why it helps with nausea and heartburn.

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#7 of 7 Old 10-28-2004, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon0218
My OB suggested I take it for heartburn. I just use a tbsp in a large glass of water though. I thought honey was bad during pregnancy??
I just recently checked into eating honey during pregnancy because I thought it was a forbidden food. It turns out there are no contraindications of even eating raw honey during pregnancy and there are even very few botulism cases tied to honey in infancy, with the median age being 3 mos. for the few known cases. If I remember correctly, there weren't any reported cases over 4 mos. of age. Reason cited is an immature gut.

Just to be safe, I would still stick to the recommended guideline of one year of age to feed babies any honey, which is apparently more than generous.

Who is feeding their 2-3 mo old honey anyway

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page