Are your girls smaller than your boys (at birth)? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-03-2004, 01:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
#1 was my dd, she was 8#2oz. #2 was ds, who was 10#5oz. My doc says that mothers typically have larger boys than girls. She says that she would be surprised if #3 (a girl) ends up nearly as big as or bigger than my ds.

Large babies run on dh's side of the family and somewhat on mine. My own maternal gma had a 9 pounder (girl-2nd) and a 10 pounder (boy-1st). MIL had 3, all over 9 pounds, boys larger. Dh's gma had 13 kids, all over 9 pounds, with an 11 pounder and a 13 pounder thrown in (and swears all her largest were boys).

I have confidence that my body can handle most anything. Ds was malpositioned and I still had no trouble giving birth to him. I credit my attitude and state of mind for the 3-hour labor and 20 minutes of pushing. I still have nagging thoughts though, what if #3 is 12 pounds? :

Shellie
Declutter - 789/2010 (counting the stuff on my porch waiting for a Freecycler to pick it up! )
#2 of 10 Old 11-03-2004, 01:41 AM

I don't know if it is true or not. The only reference I have is my mom. She had four children in the following order:
me 9 lbs 2.5 oz
sister 10lbs 14 oz
brother 9lbs 2 oz
brother 10 lbs 0 oz

So, I have no idea I am pregnant with a girl this time. DS was 8lbs 14 oz. We shall see.

Good luck with your birth. You will be amazed at what your mind and body can do...

Proudmom
#3 of 10 Old 11-03-2004, 03:01 AM

My OB told me that, statistically, the 3rd baby is the largest.
I don't know when that study was done, etc. I've been asking around IRL to see what others say, and of people I've asked IRL said their 3rd was their largest. So then, I'm thinking, "ok, so if a 3rd is a girl, maybe it won't be the largest," but then people keep surprising me by telling me their girl babies were 10 lbs, etc. !!! And then I watch these TLC shows "A Baby Story" and they do have large girl babies born on there! HAHA
So who knows. I'd still say though that girls are generally smaller than boys. I guess we'll just have to wait and see!!
#4 of 10 Old 11-03-2004, 08:19 AM

My 1st (a girl) was 9lb 5 oz and my 2nd (boy) was 9lb even. My first was 10 days overdue though so I think that's why she was a bit heavier.
#5 of 10 Old 11-03-2004, 10:39 AM

DS was 8lbs 2oz 21.25in
DD was 8lbs 8oz 20in

My sister had 3, and her first was 8-2 (girl), 2nd 8-6 (boy), 3rd 7-12 (girl)...and each baby was a few days later than the previous one!

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
#6 of 10 Old 11-03-2004, 12:18 PM

My girls were smaller (about the same size as my 5 week early boy), but I have plenty of friends who have had girls bigger than their boys, so I wouldn't go by that at all.
And if your family has a history of big babies, it's most likely that your body is built to handle them.....even the 12 & 13 pounders
I had a friend who had a 12lb boy around the same time I had Davey - and hers was a home birth with no tearing!
#7 of 10 Old 11-03-2004, 12:22 PM

I always have heard that they get bigger the more you have. LOL
MY first was boy- 7. 13 3 days early
girl- 8. 14 4 days "late"
boy- 8. 4 2 WEEKS early

I am expecting a ten pounder this time...that way if she is smaller I will be pleasantly surprised. LOL

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#8 of 10 Old 11-03-2004, 12:48 PM

I don't know about this. I think it does depend on your family history. If your family has big babies (and you've had a big baby) then all of your babies will likely be big regardless of gender. As for me I've had:
#1 (boy)-9lbs
#2 (girl)-10lbs 2.3oz
#3 (girl)-9lbs 13oz

All three were born within a day or two of their EDD but both my girls were substantially bigger than my boy. My mom had:

#1 (girl)-8lbs 8oz (ish not totally sure of exact weight or if she was late or early)
#2 (me)-9lb 13oz (a bit more than a week late)
#3 (boy)-10lb 1oz (several weeks late)
#4 (boy)-9lb 6oz (4 weeks early)
#5 (girl)-10lb (2 weeks early)

My aunts have also had some very big babies regardless of sex with the first baby tending to be the smallest and then going up and maybe fluctuating up and down a but staying well within the big range. I wouldn't worry too much about hopping all the way up to 12lbs. I was worried with #3 because my midwives (who had not attended my first two so really what were they comparing it to?) thought I was just measuring so much bigger and was going "break my own record."
#9 of 10 Old 11-03-2004, 01:02 PM

#1 ds 6 lbs 11 oz
#2 dd 7 lbs 11 oz

i think they just get bigger as you have more. this one is probably going to be close to 9 lbs.
#10 of 10 Old 11-03-2004, 08:53 PM

a friend of mine just had her third, a boy after 2 girls. all of her kids were born right around her due date, DD#1 was born on her due date and was 7 lbs 1 oz, her DD#2 was born several days maybe 2 or 3 after her due date and was 9 lbs 1 oz, and her son was born 3 days before his due date and was smack dab in the middle at 8 lbs 2 oz. so......................... he was smaller than his middle sister, but bigger than his oldest sister.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page