I need to breathe the baby out!?! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-08-2004, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello all you wonderful mamas. I am just about 10 weeks now and am looking for some support. When DD was born 2.5 years ago I ended up with a nasty 4th degree tear. I just had my first visit with my M/W who told me that our best bet in these circumstances is for me to breathe the baby out instead of pushing to give the scar tissue time to strech and avoid more tearing. I have been thinking about this for a week now and I just don't know how I will be able to do this. Has anyone delivered a baby like this before? Do you know of any references on this type of delivery?

Thank you
#2 of 6 Old 11-08-2004, 04:57 PM

It's pretty simple. Your body will get the baby out, and the baby will get itself out, whether you push or not. If you were unconscious, your baby would still come out. "Breathing" through the pushing stage contractions instead of actively straining and pushing makes the baby come out slower and gentler, and as your MW said, gives the tissue time to stretch.

Have you done any reading at the MW archives? http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/

What happened for me with my 4th birth (the only one so far I had no tearing or episiotomy, and my first homebirth) was that my body took over. I did push, but only because that was what I couldn't help doing. When DS started crowning, I panted through at least one contraction. I wasn't told to, and I didn't do it consciously at the time, but it's what my body did. I had no tearing at all. It also helped that I wasn't reclined in a hospital bed with my legs in stirrups, but leaning against the side of an inflatable pool full of warm water.

Kathryn
#3 of 6 Old 11-08-2004, 09:00 PM

I breathed my third - and largest - baby out, with no tearing. I did tear with my other two babies and I have scar tissue.

One thing that also helps is using your own hands to support yourself and the baby's head.

I delivered my third standing up. As the baby was near crowning I instinctively pressed a hand just above the vaginal opening/on the clitoris. Then as the baby was crowning I kept one hand on his head, and the other on myself. That way I was really aware of where he was and what was happening, and it was a lot easier just to breathe and keep from pushing as I let everything stretch. Of course, some positions might make this more difficult to do. It was quite amazing, holding his soft, fuzzy little (ok, BIG!) head in my hand before he came out.
#4 of 6 Old 11-08-2004, 11:17 PM

I have a friend who did Hypnobirthing and that's EXACTLY how she got her 10lbs baby girl out last Tuesday. she just breathed, no pushing and out she came into the water where mama was relaxing.

Good luck!
#5 of 6 Old 11-09-2004, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

Ok well that makes it easier to confront. My question to KittyKat and Plaid Leopard is was it tough to breath through those urges to push? I remember with dd that when I had to push I had to push! Did you do anything to prepare yourself for this?

Thank you
#6 of 6 Old 11-09-2004, 11:43 AM

As I said, I *did* push. My body took over, and I went with it. I didn't hold my breath and strain with someone telling me "PUSH NOW! 1 2 3 4! AGAIN!!!" I just kind of grunted, and pushed. When I got to the part where I panted instead of pushing, it was again just my body doing its thing. I didn't plan for it, nobody told me to do it, at the time I wasn't aware of consciously deciding to do it, that's just what happened.

It might help you to read positive birth stories and books about natural birth, and write out positive affirmations that you are going to give birth easily, you are going to push the baby out gently, you will open up and not tear, etc. I know at first it feels kind of "hokey" but the power of your mind is really amazing, and just getting your head in a good place makes a big difference.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page