attached to cord and placenta after delivery? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-12-2004, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I recently read someones birth story and she briefly mentioned that in one of the pictures she was showing that the baby was still attached to the delivered placenta and hadn't had his cord cut yet...about an hour or so after birth. I hadn't ever heard of that before. Can someone tell me the benefits of leaving baby attached to cord and placenta after birth? I wonder if a hospital birth center would allow this? Ds had really bad jaundice and I heard that the Vit K shot could contribute to this, and that leaving baby attached to placenta can help restore nature vit k? Anybody know of a could site where I could read about this?

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

#2 of 6 Old 11-12-2004, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
http://www.cordclamping.com

In particular, these articles are some of my favorites:

http://www.cordclamping.com/Buckley.htm
http://www.cordclamping.com/clamp.htm
http://www.cordclamping.com/cry.htm
http://www.indianpediatrics.net/feb2002/feb-130-135.htm

Alot of providers say "oh it's not pulsing now" to hurry clamping of the cord (because, in their eyes, it creates more jaundice and jaundice is BAD, according to them...which it's not), but it's best to wait until the placenta is delivered before clamping and cutting. It's been shown that the umbilicus may pulse for up to three hours after birth.
#3 of 6 Old 11-12-2004, 07:57 PM

Once the cord stops pulsating there is no physical benefits for the baby or mom.It usually stops between 5 and 10 minutes after birthing.Lotus birthing is where you leave the placenta and cord attached to the baby as a rite of passage for the baby to seperate themselves from their placenta.It can take anywhere from a day to several days for this to occure.

I have always rejected the vitamin K shot.I drink nettles day which is sufficient for the same purpose.
#4 of 6 Old 11-13-2004, 01:26 PM

There is evidence that blood transfer does still occur even after the visible or palpable pulsation has ceased. I would never want the cord clamped before the placenta is delivered, as Pam pointed out. With my first birth, the cord was clamped a couple of minutes after delivery, and I wish I had known to insist on waiting until the placenta came out. (I had some excessive bleeding that I believe was really aggravated by over-management of the 3rd stage.) If the cord is clamped when the placenta is still full of blood that should go to the baby, it may be harder for the uterus to contract effectively and shut down any bleeders you may have.

In addition to Pam's excellent links, I like this one: http://www.mercola.com/2002/mar/20/clamp.htm There are 2 parts to that article; make sure to click on Part 2 as well!

I've also always heard that any jaundice was a hospitalization-worthy emergency, but after having done some research, I've realized that some jaundice is very normal. Nurse, nurse, nurse is the cure- the baby needs to eat to get the liver to process the bilirubin and excrete it in the stool. Most jaundice will go away on its own within a week. I know you said your baby had severe jaundice, but maybe someone else didn't know that there is also such a thing as normal newborn jaundice, like I didn't.

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#5 of 6 Old 11-14-2004, 01:28 AM

FWIW, all 4 of my babies that had their cords clamped and cut "when it stopped pulasting" (minutes after delivery, and before the placenta had detached) have had breathing issues immediately after birth, AND jaundice. With my one baby where we kept him hooked up until breathing was established, and the placenta was birthed still attached, and we kept it uncut for 12 hours, we had no breathing problems, and no jaundice.
I know that's totally anecdotal, but for me keeping the cord uncut, at the very least for a few hours after birth, is more of a "just in case" thing - I want that connection there just in case until the placenta is birthed, and I want the blood transfer to complete itself, so keeping it attached for a while is a just in case measure there. Also, when we cut the cord after 12 hours, I didn't tie it off tight enough the first time, and there was quite a bit of blood leakage.....which I totally didn't expect, as I figured those vessels would have been completely closed off by then, and the cord looked completely void of blood.
SO I'm convinced that keeping the cord attached for a while is a good thing, even if it hasn't been proven.

Whoops - this is Stell - mehndi mama (I'm staying at Meredith's house for the weekend!)
#6 of 6 Old 11-14-2004, 09:18 PM

Great point about the breathing issues, Stell! I forgot that the same thing happened to Lula. And to assist her, she was suctioned... and suctioned... and suctioned, and finally the midwives ran a TUBE down her nose and made her bleed. They never got any mucus out, and I believe her uneven breathing was a result of cutting the cord too soon. She got her breathing established on her own, but her nasal passages were quite swollen for a while and it really affected nursing. I, too, would rather be safe than sorry, and just wait to cut the cord.

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page