Gestational diabetes and evening snack - Mothering Forums

Gestational diabetes and evening snack

TwinMom's Avatar TwinMom (TS)
07:02 PM Liked: 10
#1 of 7
11-14-2004 | Posts: 1,801
I know that it is normal for pregnant women to have higher blood sugar levels, I know all about the arguments that g.d. doesn't really exist, but the fact remains that my blood sugar isn't quite right. Where does the "naturally higher" blood sugar levels turn into just plain "high"? I don't have the "gestational diabetes" label simply because I'm refusing the test. Actually, my midwife doesn't even routinely offer the test.

My bG levels are good during the day, but my fasting level is usually in the 130s, which is too high. So I need some better ideas for bedtime snacks. I'm a vegetarian who doesn't want to eat dairy, though I have been, for lack of better ideas. My last baby has dairy intolerance/allergy, IMO because I relied so heavily on dairy for protein when pregnant with him (I've had g.d. with both previous pregnancies). I've tried whole wheat crackers with cheese (1 carb, 2-3 protein), yogurt with sliced apple (1 carb, 1 fruit, 1.5 protein), 1/2 p.b. sandwich with a boiled egg (1 carb, 2 protein), and other similar stuff, but my levels are remaining high. I've tried eating every few hours during the night, hoping to avoid the Dawn Phenomenon, but that doesn't help either. Maybe I need to only do protein and fat for a bedtime snack instead of any carbs?

So all that is to say--if you have g.d. or if you have blood sugar issues at all, what do you eat before bed to help you have a decent fasting blood sugar level? I can't have a homebirth if I have to take insulin; I will have to switch to an OB and have a hospital birth, which would be devastating. Please help me figure out a solution so that I can keep my midwife and my homebirth plans!
~MommyAmanda's Avatar ~MommyAmanda
08:33 PM Liked: 0
#2 of 7
11-14-2004 | Posts: 125
This is my third gd pregnancy and my first with a midwife.

The fasting level was always what has caused me the most grief because it seems the hardest to control. I don't think you are getting enough carbs for your snack. If you don't get enough carbs your liver dumps glucose back to keep you from hypoglycemia. Are you checking for ketones in the AM? I ask only becuase for me that is a way to tell if I ahve had enough to eat the night before.

My old standby for a bedtime snack is: Sandwich (2 carbs, 1 fat, 1 protein), Glass of milk (1 carb/dairy) , and a piece of fruit (another carb).

Also are you night nursing?
08:57 PM Liked: 10
#3 of 7
11-14-2004 | Posts: 1,801
I haven't been checking for ketones, but I just bought some strips today. Last pregnancy it seemed like, no matter how much I ate before bed, I ALWAYS had ketones in my morning urine. Always. So I stopped testing for ketones.

Did that bedtime snack keep your fasting numbers good? It looks like a lot of carbs and not enough protein to me. Last pregnancy I think my bedtime snack was 2 carbs, 2-3 protein, 1 fruit, 1-2 veggies and I STILL had ketones. My fasting numbers were okay for the most part, though, so maybe I should try that again. I think I'm scared of eating carbs in case they raise my bG level higher. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try, though!

Thank you for your input!
~MommyAmanda's Avatar ~MommyAmanda
12:01 AM Liked: 0
#4 of 7
11-15-2004 | Posts: 125
Ketones first thing in the morning are common. I only use it to tell if they are larger then normal or if I still am having them later in the day.

This is the plan I have followed. The more complex the carb the slower it is to break down and less likely to have the dawn syndrome.

Walking after dinner was another trick I used to work on the fasting number. How early are you taking your fasting? The earlier you take it, the lower I bet it will be. Choosing carbs high in fiber help it break down slow too.

Here is my meal plan:

Quote:
Meal Pattern For Gestational Diabetes Diet
2200 Calories

Daily Food Pattern

Breakfast:

Carbohydrate Group
Starch2
Fruit0
Milk1
Protein Group1
Fat Group1

Snack:

Starch1
Fruit1

Lunch:

Carbohydrate Group
Starch2
Fruit1
Milk0
Vegetables2
Protein Group2
Fat Group1

Snack:

Starch1
Milk1

Dinner:

Carbohydrate Group
Starch3
Fruit1
Milk1
Vegetables2
Protein Group3
Fat Group1

Snack:

Starch2
Milk1
Protein1
Fat1

12:37 AM Liked: 10
#5 of 7
11-15-2004 | Posts: 1,801
I have been doing the fasting at around 8:30, but maybe I need to get up earlier.

Your meal plan looks like it has way more carbs than the ones that I've followed. Or maybe they're just spread out differently. Everyone's body reacts differently, so I guess that's why it's common to see different amounts of carbs and proteins. For instance, I can only have 1 carb for breakfast and none for my morning snack or my numbers go too high. At lunch and after, though, I can have more carbs. There's a diabetic center in my city that I can go to if I need help, but I went there last pregnancy and found that they didn't really understand a vegetarian diet. I'm scared of what they would think of little to no dairy as well!

I am going to try your bedtime snack suggestion tonight if I can stay awake long enough to eat one. It's 8:30 and I just finished dinner because I wasn't hungry when it was really dinnertime. It was just a salad, though (with lots of beans & tofu for protein) so hopefully I'll be feeling hungry by 11ish and then I can go to bed. Or maybe, if I fall asleep, I'll just have a snack when I wake up to pee sometime before midnight.

I forgot to say that I'm not nursing throughout the night but I do nurse Alec before he goes to sleep. That could be anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 hours. I don't think I have much milk, if any, so I don't think that's really causing any drops in bG level.

Wish me luck for tomorrow's fasting number!
CathToria's Avatar CathToria
07:13 PM Liked: 14
#6 of 7
11-19-2004 | Posts: 3,787
I also have GD. I have had it for all 3 pregnancies. I take insulin at night, as I can not get my morning numbers under 90 on my own. I also took insulin with my 2nd pregnancy, but not my 1st.

With my 1st, i found that the key to controlling am sugars was to eat a ton of protein right before bed. I would eat 1-2 protein servings and only 1 carb. I also found that testing at 7am usually resulted in a lower # than if I waited until 9am.

I also found that exercise in the evening helped a lot.

Also, why would your MW not be able to take you if you were on insulin? From what i understand (correct me if I'm wrong)... taking insulin simply puts a natural substance back into my blood that normal pregnant ladies bodies can produce on their own.
01:48 AM Liked: 10
#7 of 7
11-20-2004 | Posts: 1,801
My midwife can't write prescriptions and has no experience in dealing with anybody on insulin. Fortunately, she found a text that has recommendations for different bG numbers. My fasting needs to be below 120 (OBs usually recommend under 105) and 2-hour post-prandial below 140 (OBs usually say 120). I've been able to follow those numbers with some changes in diet and exercise, so I'm doing okay for now. I hate that eating is a chore now, though. I used to love cooking and eating; now I dread it so much that I would rather just not eat than have to deal with it.
Reply Subscribe I'm Pregnant