Pre-Eclampsia Watch Dog on the loose. - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-03-2006, 04:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Factor V can be tested while pregnant, it's more the auto-immune related clotting factors that are difficult to test for while pregnant such as anti-cardiolipin antibodies. The biggest documented dangers with Factor 5 are later in pregnancy although MANY people believe it also results in early pregnancy loss.
This is a yahoo support group for Factor V leiden and other clotting disorders in pregnancy.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FVL-PG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2006, 08:47 PM

Thanks for the information. That makes sense--pregnancy shouldn't change your genetics. I'll definitely look into the yahoo group if I test positive.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Well ladies, i've been following this thread since it started forever ago and it looks like i'm headed for a repeat, I ended up with severe pre-e/hellp with my dd and i'll be 24 weeks on wednesday and i've had some sudden weight gain/swelling issues this weekend, facial swelling last night that thankfully is gone today (vain I know but I start a new job today!) but I woke up with pitting edema in my feet and hands this morning. OB's office is closed but I managed to snag an appt with my family Dr this morning before work to check BP/weight/urine dip and labs if I need them. I pray this is just a normal pregnancy thing but my instincts are telling me there not.

Seriously?
Old 02-21-2006, 01:09 PM

I am sorry, Satori. Also, sometimes you can check your BP & weight at least at a pharmacy...I did this a lot during my pregnancy, although I see you will be able to get into the doctor's today.

This is a wild shot, but have you tried upping your cal-mag intake and drinking more water? Sometimes that can help flush things through, if it's normal water retention. If not though, best to get it checked in any case. Let us know how things turn out, ok?
Old 02-21-2006, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Satori, how are things? What did the Dr. say?
Gossamer

Before you were conceived, I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were a minute old, I would have died for you. That is the miracle of life. ~Maureen Hawkins~
Old 03-01-2006, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer
Satori, how are things? What did the Dr. say?
Gossamer
ugh, I'm ready to slap some medical "professionals"! I finally saw the OB today and I've gained 16lbs in 19 days! My BP is rising fast and was actually high for ME last night when I went to the ER for pain under my right rib. Dipstick wouldn't check my liver functions because I wasn't jaundiced looking so I was obviously fine and decided I needed a friggin tox screen instead: Anyway, my OB kinda blew me off today and just suggested bedrest and paying a visit to the high risk clinic on Thursday since I'm not presenting with "typical" pre-e, why the heck do they think protein should be the first thing to show up? He wont even order a 24 hour urine to check for it! Says his dip sticks are just fine when I know they can be wrong and miss it. I mean honestly, I've got all this:

16lb gain in 19 days and not eating enough to account for that much and its not helping that its staying distributed in my body but at night I swell up like crazy and my poor feet and hands burn like there on fire.

vision blurring on occasion (keep thinking my glasses are really dirty when there not)
pain under my right rib and right shoulder pain
indigestion from hell
rising/high BP
swelling with occasional pitting in hands and feet
nausea is back

and i'm only 25 weeks, i've got a right to be concerned! I know this baby will be here very early at this rate but I also know they can do things like give steriods to help the baby out even if I manage to hold out another couple weeks.

At least the baby is active to reassure me she's ok.

Seriously?
Old 03-01-2006, 03:32 AM

Quote:
ugh, I'm ready to slap some medical "professionals"! I finally saw the OB today and I've gained 16lbs in 19 days! My BP is rising fast and was actually high for ME last night when I went to the ER for pain under my right rib. Dipstick wouldn't check my liver functions because I wasn't jaundiced looking so I was obviously fine and decided I needed a friggin tox screen instead Anyway, my OB kinda blew me off today and just suggested bedrest and paying a visit to the high risk clinic on Thursday since I'm not presenting with "typical" pre-e, why the heck do they think protein should be the first thing to show up? He wont even order a 24 hour urine to check for it! Says his dip sticks are just fine when I know they can be wrong and miss it.
Umm, time to find a new OB? Maybe immediately?
Old 03-01-2006, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Go to the pre-eclampsia website , preeclampsia.org, print off the symptoms of pre-e and run as fast as you can to the emergency room.
Gossamer

Before you were conceived, I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were a minute old, I would have died for you. That is the miracle of life. ~Maureen Hawkins~
Old 03-01-2006, 08:24 PM

Satori, I completely agree with the pp's, you need to get into a hospital right now. Tell your OB to smarten the heck up!
Old 03-01-2006, 08:54 PM

Yippee! Just saw my regular Dr to get copies for my BP/weight increase since my OB didn't have crap and yesterday I weighed 149 on there scale and today I'm down to 143 and my BP is down to 122/68 The cause? I doubled my potassium and magnesium intake (the prescription level I'm supposed to take but don't because it causes GI upset) because my labs showed they were really low again and my body is flushing everything now. Lets hope it keeps up! I'm going to be in the city for the next day or 2 so if something's up I'll go to L&D but otherwise I have my appt at high risk tomorrow morning.

Seriously?
Old 03-06-2006, 03:15 PM

whew Satori I am glad to hear that.
I have a Gyn appt today, finally for a yearly. I am going to talk to here about getting some testing done as DH and I are ttc #5 right now. I am going to ask for a liver function panel a 24 hour urine output and blood tests for clotting issues? Anything else I should get tested? I have never seen her before as we moved after YDS was born. She is a highrisk OB/GYN so I am hoping she will be familar with what tests I need but I would like to sound informed when speaking to her.
I have had pre-e with all my births and hemorraging after my first sons birth 21 years ago. My bp's run super high during labor (225/170 the last time) and I was induced for all my births. BTW I am almost 43
TIA Laurie

Laurie (46) Wife to : Mom to 4 Grandma to :
Old 03-09-2006, 06:10 PM

SO the appt was kind of disappointing. She told me clotting factors had nothing to do with pre-E and we didn't need a urine or liver fundtion until I was actually pregnant. She did order some blood work, a fasting liipid for cholesterol because I am 42 and had this checked over 5 years ago and she ordered a comprhensive Metabolic panel. She said that would show liver function or something. I just feel like I didn't have the kind of appt I was hoping for. I amwaiting ot hear how my pap and HPV turn out.
WHy is it that sometimes with our research we seem to know more than the medical doctors?????

Old 03-09-2006, 06:51 PM

Could you find a different doctor who would be willing to work with you on prevention and/or figuring out some root issues? Perhaps someone who knows about Factor V or other thrombophilias? Maybe a ob/gyn perinatologist who specializes (you could interview a few first and find out who knows the most)?

Have you ever had a blood clot?

Have you tried different nutritional/exercise approaches in previous pregnancies?
Old 03-09-2006, 10:03 PM

I hemmoraged after DS #1. I was passing clots bigger than my fist. I have had PIH or Pre E with all three of my births. I tried dietary stuff with the last pregnancy High protein, plus herbs. I am going to look into other docs. She is actually listed as a high risk and on her website it says she has experience with Pre-E. How do you know who is good? I need a list of questions to ask or something. I definitely want to find some answers.

Old 03-09-2006, 11:09 PM

Yeah, they don't mean that kind of clots with a underlying clotting issue - it's like, you have blood clots during your pregnancy in your body (i.e. in your leg, etc). Do you have other underlying issues i.e. high blood pressure? It might be good to get in as good as health as you can before TTC.

As far as questions go, I asked the docs and midwives what their personal opinion was as to what caused pre-eclampsia. I sought people who seemed to have a better answer than "I don't know, it's a mystery. You can't do anything but pray." The high risk doc I saw had definite opinions about it and suggested watching sodium intake from processed foods (which is different than salt to taste) and extra calcium and folic acid during TTC and throughout pregnancy, said he'd seen really amazing results due to folic acid supplementation.

So basically, having some sort of opinion about the matter and willing to investigate possible underlying issues and causes and solutions with you...
Old 03-10-2006, 01:36 AM

My placenta fell apart upon delivery with my first. I have recently been doing some reading about the link between the placenta and Pre-E
With my last I watched my weight gain ate healthier than I ever have in my life had no BP issues until about 4-6 weeks prior to EDD They induced 2 weeks early. I haven't had blood clots in my body. I have had High BP but when we monitor at home it is much lower and within the normal ranges. Maybe white coat syndrome. I have wondered if I should be on BP meds during my pregnancy. I did extra calcium and herbs for bp. I walked a couple miles everyday and did yoga. We also used accupuncture to try to keep the BP down.
With the clotting factors though what would be the harm in testing for them anyway? I am sure some of them are hidden. Many women have issues with miscarraige due to clotting and never know that is the culprit until someone tests for it. KWIM? I figure they could at least rule that out.

Old 03-10-2006, 01:55 AM

Bummer. I agree with you. They could at least check due to your request and the severity of your preeclampsia in the past. Maybe this isn't a doctor who isn't open minded enough to listen and/or investigate your request? If you stay with your doc you might want to bring her info on Factor V, etc.

The baby aspirin regimen at bedtime is supposed to help many previously preeclamptic women, and they think it has something to do with clotting issues. Same with the folic acid. I dunno, when I was trying to prevent a recurrence I was on baby aspirin (18-35 weeks), mega doses of folic acid, calcium, B vitamins, and magnesium, high protein/low carb, heavy exercise, and constant management of my weight and BP. Oh, and beet juice! Whenever I started getting puffy, I'd drink some fresh beet juice and pee it all out. Sounds weird, but it worked for me.

In any case, hugs to you - it sounds like you're trying everything humanly possible to get to the bottom of it all. You just need a great doc partner in your mission!
Old 03-10-2006, 12:37 PM

You are right. I am gonna keep looking until I find a great doc. Thanks for all the great tips.

Old 03-23-2006, 09:18 AM

hey mamas,

i have a q for you, flyingspaghettimama.
i am ttc#2 now, and trying to prevent a recurrence. (with dd i had severe PE started @36w, delivered @37w3d) your ideas are great , i wrote it down for myself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspaghettimama
I dunno, when I was trying to prevent a recurrence I was on baby aspirin (18-35 weeks), mega doses of folic acid, calcium, B vitamins, and magnesium, high protein/low carb, heavy exercise, and constant management of my weight and BP. Oh, and beet juice! Whenever I started getting puffy, I'd drink some fresh beet juice and pee it all out. Sounds weird, but it worked for me.
what do you mean on heavy excercise?

Liv, SAHM of 3 kiddos 

Old 03-23-2006, 01:42 PM

Clavicula,
I went to the gym at least every other day for at least thirty minutes of exercise (elliptical, yoga, bike, walking), exercising until I was sweating, all the way until the day I went into labor. I was also running (outdoors) until my 7th month of pregnancy at least once a week. I skipped a few weeks in the middle of summer, but that was it. The reason why - there was a great study that explained the role of exercise in prevention of preeclampsia. I can post it to you if you're interested.

The best part, I was hardly ever sick! It felt super good, I would stop if I felt icky or too hot or something...and it was a great confirmation that I was doing the right thing when my son was born and he was huge and the placenta was huge - plenty of nutrients getting in there.

Here is a longer version of what I wrote:
http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...&postcount=351
Old 03-25-2006, 02:30 PM

Has anyone here had Pre-e and then a stillborn? I just delived my second son at 26 weeks in September, he was stillborn and they never did anything to see if there was something wrong with either him or I ( Well, they lost my tests anyways...). My first son I had a slow rising blood from about 28 or so weeks, and ended up with HELLP and delivering my son at 35 weeks. He had IUGR, and only weighed 3 1/2 pounds. I was supposed to be on bedrest for the last three months or so, but continued to work until the night I delivered, as I was young and naive...

I am currently 24 weeks and very concerned... I had read about clotting as a possible cause of pre-e, and I know that clotting can cause stillborns also. I just don't want to have to go through either again. I just started to take baby aspirin, but that is the extent of it. Most of the students I see don't really do anything to see or check on if something is wrong, but I only put up with them because I want to have a VBAC.

Mary.
Old 03-25-2006, 02:44 PM

So, wait a minute, you are seeing Students as your care providers? Do I have that right?

With your history I would think they would at least want you to consult w/ a perinatologist. And if I were you, I would insist upon it.
Old 03-25-2006, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspaghettimama
I can post it to you if you're interested.
yes, i do! post it!
you did a wonderful job!! it is really encouragigng to read your experiences!thanks!

Liv, SAHM of 3 kiddos 

Old 03-25-2006, 04:31 PM

Yes, they are students, in which in many cases it seems like I know more about this whole pregnancy thing than they do... I go to a large hospital, but it is where they train the med students, so it sucks.

I just had a change in insurance, so I was thinking I can change hospitals to one where I can actually see a good doctor. Where should I go on MDC that I might be able to find a good doctor and hospital?

So, about the clotting diseases, if I did go to a different hospital, Is it too late to find out?? When I asked them at my 6 week check-up if I could have get the testing done again, they told me I had to be pregnant. (Little to know, I was being fertilized that day...) My old insurance gave me a run around about the genetics testing, which I had schedule since about the 9th week or so... I can have it done now, but I would rather it be done at a better hospital, with the real doctors.

Mary
Old 03-25-2006, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clavicula
yes, i do! post it!
you did a wonderful job!! it is really encouragigng to read your experiences!thanks!
http://www.medicalpost.com/mpcontent.../3807/29B.html

"Women who were physically active in the year before and during pregnancy were 41% less likely to develop pre-eclampsia than their inactive counterparts.
Risk of pre-eclampsia also tended to decrease with the intensity and amount of energy the women expended in activities. Women who exercised vigorously during pregnancy experienced a 54% reduced risk of pre-eclampsia, when compared to sedentary women."

mimi'n'tre - YES, I would change providers if in your situation. I agree with PP, perhaps you should see a high-risk perinatologist who specializes in preeclampsia for a consult. Is a home VBAC not available in your area, can you find a good midwife? Sometimes they are more educated in the area of preeclampsia than the med students...but for the testing, yeah - see a perinatologist.

From my reading, BTW, the baby aspirin is something to be taken at night before bedtime. It is not as effective (some studies showed, actually completely ineffective) if taken at other times of the day. The studies think it had something to do with resting nighttime environment.
Old 03-25-2006, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

I am stunned that they told you you had to be pregnant to do the dna testing, most perinatologists would rather test while not pregnant. Knowing that you have had pre-e and a stillborn, I would absolutely suggest a perinatologist. Also check out www.preeclampsia.org. ypou could go into the Finding you tribe forum and pose a question in you geographic tribe about good dr.'s in you area.
Gossamer

Old 03-25-2006, 07:36 PM

Thanks,
I would love a homebirth, but am quite scared of something going wrong, and having another dead baby, and possibly a dead me... I have to go about an hour away to the hospital as it is, none of the hospitals around here allow for a VBAC, and there are three of them.
I didn't know about having only students when I first transferred there, but my baby ended up dying before my first visit, as I tranferred to have the VBAC.
I will look under the finding your tribe to see about a different hospital or something but am scared that this one will again die before I see the new doctor.

Thanks,
Mary
Old 03-25-2006, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi_n_tre
Thanks,
I would love a homebirth, but am quite scared of something going wrong, and having another dead baby, and possibly a dead me... I have to go about an hour away to the hospital as it is, none of the hospitals around here allow for a VBAC, and there are three of them.
I didn't know about having only students when I first transferred there, but my baby ended up dying before my first visit, as I tranferred to have the VBAC.
I will look under the finding your tribe to see about a different hospital or something but am scared that this one will again die before I see the new doctor.

Thanks,
Mary
Sure. I hear you. In your posts, you do sound very scared about this pregnancy, and it's understandable. What would help you to feel safe? Can you ask your current student team to run the tests while looking for another doc? I am sure that if you bring the name of the tests you suspect you need, and some studies to back you up, into your team, they might accede to your request?
Old 04-05-2006, 11:31 PM

ugh! So I just called the clinic where I'm getting my prenatal care, the high risk clinic is only held once a week and no one has told me what to do if I have any problems beyond go to L&D. So I called them up assuming they would be someone assigned to talk to high risk patients or something and tell the nurse I've basically had a headache for a week and I've been seeing light flashes and the other night my vision was all messed up and blurry. Guess what the nurse told me... "oh, you need to call your eye Dr because that's an eye problem!" I explain no its not, its a symptom of pre-e which I've had in the past and its why I'm going to the high risk clinic so she puts me on hold and 25 minutes later someone comes on the line who tells me I need to speak to L&D so I talk to them and they say I need to come in right now and get checked out. I basically feel fine, baby is moving, no swelling, BP is normal, no sudden weight gain, just headache and vision problems and oh yeah, the only road into the city is closed due to severe weather and multiple traffic accidents so while I will get checked out tomorrow when the weather clears and the high risk clinic is held it annoys the heck out of me that I got such a clueless nurse to begin with and it was an OB nurse no less!

Seriously?
Old 04-06-2006, 12:00 AM

Satori, if it makes you feel any better, I had some blurry vision and spots towards the end of pregnancy, but in my case it wasn't signs of pree. I would have them when standing up or going up a flight of stairs...my brother (has medical training) said that it had to do with changes in blood pressure, even slight ones. The blurriness was due to blood vessel changes or something, I don't remember.

It's good to get it double-checked though...I hope everything's all right in your case.

User Tag List