Pre-Eclampsia Watch Dog on the loose. - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 601 Old 01-09-2005, 11:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow Shannon that is so scary- I am so glad I found MDC because I had never known that pre-e could come on so fast! Gossamer's experience is so tragic- her Mary Rose was so beautiful- it breaks my heart. In her pictures she really looks like an angel.

I am so glad she is able to help prevent this from happening to others by getting us educated and taking it seriously!

I'm glad that most at home monitors are fairly accurate- I do have one that runs on batteries so I will have have to check them and change them often. I think the cuff is ok- I'm really petite so I hope it isn't too big- I can usually tighten it enough to get it snug. I will take it with me to my next appt. Thanks!

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

#62 of 601 Old 01-14-2005, 10:45 PM

Thanks for posting this. I had pre-e with my DD and I am keeping a close eye on everything this pg. If it does come back, when should I start seeing signs? With DD I started swelling up to my eye balls by 32 weeks. By 36 weeks I had gained 20 lb in 2 weeks and was spilling protein in my urine. I was then put on strict bed rest and send home to collect my urine. I was induced 2 days later and Alexis was born at 1:51 am on July 4th. She was 37w, 2 d gestation and was 20 in long, weighing 8 lb, 2 oz. She did have severe jaundice that put her back in the hospital at 6 days old. I had my bp spike back up when she was 3 days old and was on med for that for 6 weeks after she was born.

I am currently almost 20 weeks. I have seen no swelling and my bp is staying steady where it should. But I am so scared this is going to set in again. I was seeing a midwife with Alexis and I had to dip that test strip my self. I liked that cause I always knew I was ok. I was the one that discovered the rapid weight gain and the protein in my urine. This time I have to see a dr and they don't tell me that stuff. I always have to ask what my bp was.
#63 of 601 Old 01-15-2005, 03:45 AM

Sarah, I think really that it can hit at any time. I know my mother was basically term when it hit her and she had no warning signs at all leading up to it (she had no problems at all with my younger brother)
I would mention to your OB that you would like to know the numbers after he takes it--let him know you are concerned and you are trying to watch out for any signs.
You can buy the sticks to test protein and glucose from the drug store, maybe it would put your mind at ease if you had a bottle of them at home? Just remember that a little bit (or trace) amount of protein is really no big deal.
Take care and try not to stress about it but do keep an eye on it and advocate for yourself with your doctor.
#64 of 601 Old 01-15-2005, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon0218
Just remember that a little bit (or trace) amount of protein is really no big deal.
I know a trace is not much, but it was the straw that broke the camel’s back with Alexis. That was the last thing that happened before the final diagnosis for her. I guess that is why I am so worried about it. I might have to look and see how much the strips are. Right now, I am not too worried, because I have no signs. But, I also see that it can still be a problem. I guess I am just scared. Her birth was horrible and I don't want a repeat of that. Anything and everything I did not want for her birth, happened. It has taken me a long time to come to terms with everything.
#65 of 601 Old 01-15-2005, 01:19 PM

I just wanted to report some good news- I went to my midwife for my 30 weeks appt. and my BP was normal 125/82 (even in their office- amazing!) and my BP monitor was right on with theirs so I know it's accurate.

I have been doing everything I can to keep my BP down and stay healthy- I've been drinking a gallon of water a day, eating lots of protein with each meal, limiting refined sugars and processed meats, taking calcuim, etc. I am keeping a close watch on my BP still since it was a little high and even though it was probably from anxiety I still know from Gossamer's story and your mom's Shannon that pre-e can come on fast and aggressively.

Cross your fingers I won't have anymore BP problems!

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

#66 of 601 Old 01-15-2005, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Hi ladies, I am back from ENgland. whew, I am so glad to be home.

Shannon, How are you doing? How is Molly?

Sarasein, I am not a doctor, but i would reccomend you talk to your OB about your pre-e experience. I would ask for a baseline 24 hour urine so you know what your normal urine protein content is. I fyou have to ask, you have to ask, but you ant to know those numbers every visit. If you are worried or in doubt, ask or call your ob. As someone else mentioned, it is better to call than look back and wish you had.

Gotta go, I will write more later.

Has anybody heard how OnTheFence is doing?
Gossamer

Before you were conceived, I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were a minute old, I would have died for you. That is the miracle of life. ~Maureen Hawkins~
#67 of 601 Old 01-17-2005, 12:22 AM

Well, we are still technically alright, however last night and today my pressure has been high, blood work today was still normal and her NST while normal showed she wasn't quite as active as she's been on previous ones. I am to take my bp hourly (every 2 hours during the night-have to set alarm) and go in tomorrow morning for another NST, more blood work and an U/S. Decisions will be made then whether to deliver her early (I'm 36w, 2d right now)
So we could use some good thoughts so far tonight it hasn't gone up at all but hasn't gone down either (if it goes up by more than 5 more points I have to go in right away)
#68 of 601 Old 01-17-2005, 02:40 AM - Thread Starter

Lovechild, everything is looking good so far, let keep our fingers crossed.

Shannon, it sound slike you are teetering on the brink here. Stay vigilant, count those kicks and don't be afraid to take your self in if you need to. I am praying for you.
Gossamer

Before you were conceived, I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were a minute old, I would have died for you. That is the miracle of life. ~Maureen Hawkins~
#69 of 601 Old 01-17-2005, 07:08 PM

Thanks Gossamer! I really appreciate you looking out for all of us here! My BP was great today (120/65) so hopefully things will be ok- keeping my fingers tightly crossed.

Shannon, I am sending some prayers your way too- I'm glad you're 36 weeks already just in case Molly does need to come a little early.

#70 of 601 Old 01-22-2005, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter

Ok ladies, it has been a couple of days, how ar ehtings going? How are the bloodpressures looking? Are you doing your kick counts? ANy headaches, inability to urinate, upper quadrent pain? Don't keep me in suspense.
Gossamer

#71 of 601 Old 01-22-2005, 10:54 AM

Well....I've been in hospital since Sunday night. My blood work remains normal (it's being done every morning) and my blood pressures are now semi-stable. The headaches I'm having seem too severe for the blood pressure I have, so we're unsure if they are stress related or what is going on with them but I had one again last night after 3 days without. Unfortunately, when the headache is that bad, I start with violent puking so I've pulled muscles just about everywhere. NST's are being done 3x a day and Molly looks perfect with all of them now--on Sunday night when I was admitted, my bp was really high and she was quite still with an average heartrate of 130, but as my bp came down her heartrate went back to normal and she started to squirm again (it was a stressfull few hours)
They have moved my section date up to Monday, so just 2 more days!!!
#72 of 601 Old 01-22-2005, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

I am so glad you are being watched so carefully. I will definitely be praying for monday to come around. We want to see pictures asap. Take care of yourself. Don't stop being vigilent.
Gossamer

#73 of 601 Old 01-23-2005, 08:06 PM

Yay! Molly's coming tomorrow! I'm so glad you and Molly have made it through all of this and are being watched closely. I know you can't wait to hold her! I can't wait to see pics too!

Everything's trucking along with me- BP is staying low and Grey has been pretty active (he's pretty mellow most of the day though except the mornings). No headaches or pains of any kind. Feeling great and counting down the weeks! Still praying that all goes well and I am able to have my homebirth!

I hope you all are doing well!

#74 of 601 Old 01-26-2005, 07:24 PM

I would just like to add that in my third pregnacy At 30 weeks i was admitted to the hospital with pre-e and with a soaring bp i was going into liver and kidney failure and my brain was bleeding, loose'n my sight they finally induced where i had my son and almost Died from lose of blood i think this is a very serious issuse and it needs to be Addressed Good Job on the research from aLL ..... Son was 5 pounds and healthy
#75 of 601 Old 01-30-2005, 12:11 AM
mtm

Gossamer, just wanted to thank you for all your posts on this thread. Your signs and symptoms post rang a bunch of alarm bells in me a few weeks ago and made me talk to my doc about all the weird little symptoms I was having (rapid heart beat, high pulse, constant dull headaches). Initially they weren't worried as my blood pressure wasn't too high (130/80 this week which is high as its normally low) but as its creeped up, my docs have taken it a lot more seriously. My blood draws are coming back slightly elevated with some protein spilling in the urine and a 2 pound weight gain last week so I'm now in every week for poking and prodding. Thankfully I'm 34 weeks already. I'm not sure they would have taken it so seriosly had i not gone in armed with all your info, esp on the dull headaches.

My question for those of you with pre-e, are you having trouble differentiated between common pg things and danger signs? I often get headaches and visual disturbances so don't want to rush in for everything but don't want to miss something either.

Also any suggestions on how much vit e and c to be taking?
#76 of 601 Old 01-30-2005, 03:43 AM - Thread Starter

mtm,
I am so glad you went to be seen and are being closely watched. My best advice is that it is better to go in and be seen, than wish you had when it is too late. pre-eclampsia got it's name from the Greek word for lightening because it can come on suddenly. You can go from being ok to on death's door within hours. The day Mary Rose was born, I had gone to my cardiologist that morning at 9:00 am, I saw my high risk OB at 2:45 pm and I was in theo perating room and Mary Rose was born at 10:22 pm. That is how quickly things can go wrong.

My dr. has suggested 1000 mg of vit. C and 800 iu of Vitamin E. I actually usually take about 2000 mg of VIt C because it is water soluble and whatever my body doesn't need, it flushes out. I am much more conservative with vitamin E because iti s fat soluble, so I actually take only 400 iu.

I hope that helps and I hope the rest of your pregnancy is uneventful. ANd I hope you know that having you take this seriously and being monitored warms my heart and hlep me to know that some good things can come out of the death of my daughter.

Gossamer

#77 of 601 Old 02-04-2005, 04:56 PM
mtm

Hi Gossamer, weent to the doc's this morning. It was a good news/bad news appt. In good news, my blood pressure is holding stable, my liver and kidney numbers are up but only slightly so they still consider me borderline for pre-eclampsia.

In bad news, I'm spilling proteins at a higher rate, have low protein in my blood tests, and they lost the 24 hour urine so I have to do it again. From my u/s on Tues they are worried about ds's position, he's head down but his head is way over to the side. They talked about a version but given my blood pressure are unsure. Most likely a c-sec if he doesn't move on his own. I'm off to a high risk ob next week to check on the protein and talk about delivery options. They were pretty vague about if they thought I could hold out to term (March 10) but seemed to think 37 weeks (2 weeks away) was doable. YAY. Michelle
#78 of 601 Old 02-04-2005, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

I am sorry. It is a bummer that your enzymes are elevating and your kidneys are sputtering. I am so glad that you are keeping such a close eye on this though. 37 weeks is great!!!!!!!! I will pray that all goes well until then. I hope you don't have to have a C-Section, but if you do, remember that bringing the baby home is the most important factor of the whole being pregnant thing.
Gossamer

#79 of 601 Old 02-04-2005, 06:38 PM

mtm, my daughter was born on Jan 24 at 37 weeks (by c-section) for borderline pre-e and she's just perfect.
All willl be ok and I too am glad you are keeping such a close eye on it.
#80 of 601 Old 02-09-2005, 01:27 PM
mtm

went in yesterday with a bad headache and spots. Spent a few hours being monitored and my blood pressure was okay, no protein in my urine either! Baby still looks good, doc figures it was just a migraine brought on my exhaustion (ds had that fever/cough combo and wasn't sleeping the last few days). today I have more energy than I've had in a while. Hosp was great, reassured me that I did the right thing going in to be monitored.
#81 of 601 Old 02-09-2005, 01:41 PM

I'm so glad they reassured you it was best to be monitored! Really, that made all the difference for me, I knew I was being properly monitored so we'd know early if things started a downhill slide. My doctor told me the tell tale signs are there in the blood work and urine usually for a good week and at least for 48 hrs before the symptoms tell us something is wrong so with careful monitoring you should be able to avoid an emergency situation--now if all docs were like your's and mine and took these things as seriously as they should a story like Gossamers would be far more rare.
#82 of 601 Old 02-13-2005, 12:55 PM
mtm

Shan and Gossamer, my hands and feet don't look more swollen but are sort of painful this morning. I've tried walking around for a bit but it doesn't seem to help. All my blood work and urine on Friday looked good, better than earlier tests. Is this something to worry about? I've also got a cold, don't know if that would make a difference.
#83 of 601 Old 02-14-2005, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter

THe thing to really watch for is swelling of hands and face. Are you drinking lots of water? It could just be body ache from the cold, but if you have any concerns, call your doctor. It is always better to be safe than sorry. I am glad to hear your blood work and urine look better. That must be encouraging. I am so glad your doctors are monitoring you so closely.
Gossamer

#84 of 601 Old 02-14-2005, 03:32 AM

Has anyone heard of a high pulse being a sign of a problem? My pressure is low and my pulse is high....? Wierd.

Stay at home wife to Jason for 7 years Mama to Larissa Mae 2 years old :, Gavin Clay 7 months :, and Neveah Ann April 24, 2005 to July 13, 2007 ED for my food allergic babe. :::
#85 of 601 Old 02-14-2005, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

YEs. I know several women who have had what is called high cardiac output. HIgh pulse and your heart working too hard to pump. A racing pulse is one of the signs and symptoms on www.preeclampsia.org. As I have said before, sometimes high blood pressure is the last symptom to appear. I hope that helps.
Gossamer

#86 of 601 Old 02-14-2005, 12:02 PM

I think sometimes people with low blood pressure get a racing pulse to compensate for the low bp. I have to run but will post more later.
#87 of 601 Old 02-15-2005, 08:54 PM

I came across this thread via another pregnancy forum community member, who suggested I read it and maybe pose my problem/delema to you smart ladies.

I will, on Thursday, be 37weeks. About 4 weeks ago I was told that I'd developed pre-e.

My Blood Pressure was consistantly running 150's-160's/90's-100's when it had previously been normal.
I started getting headaches with dancing lights
My swelling (which previously had been minimal) became insane, in fact, as I type this my hands are so swollen that all the nerves in them have been pinched off and I can't feel them from my palms to my fingertips (they estimate based on weight gain in the last month that I'm carrying around 25lbs of water that simply will not flush out of my body)
I'm spilling some (although not tons apparently) of protien in my urine.

I was placed on bedrest three weeks ago. And honestly it hasn't done a thing for any of this...

On Saturday (2-12-05) I was hospitalized because I'd gotten extremely warm and dizzy, suddenly got a headache, saw those dancing lights and fainted to the floor. When I went in my BP was 171/111, and though it decreased during my stay, it never went below 137/86 even when they took it in the morning right after I woke up.

The OB on duty wasn't the midwife who normally sees me at my prenatals/NSTs, nor was he the OB that my midwife reports to. He decided that I don't have it at all... that the symptoms are all a coinincidence (he said the headaches are migraines, for which he tried to give me Motrin IB which I was told NOT to take, the swelling is simply that I eat too much salt -which I avoid-... etc...)
And he said that my BP is a "bit high" but will come down with bedrest.
And he didn't draw my blood to do bloodwork... I'm not even sure he looked at my chart all that closely.
It kind of felt like he was trying to tell me something I wanted to hear rather than truly evaluating what was going on...

He's also gone ahead and made me extremely nervous since he decided to cancel the induction I was supposed to get on Friday, and I won't see my midwife until Thursday next week because she's out of town at a conference.

I don't understand how I can have it, and then suddenly not have it, and I feel as if this doctor is brushing it off. By no means do I WANT to have it, but if I do I'd like it to be taken seriously. He seems very much like he wants to give out a quick solution, and after reading the original post and the following replies I fear that something very severe could happen to me and/or my child simply because this guy has decided he knows better than the woman who has been providing care for me because she's "just a midwife".

So I guess my problem/question is... can pre-e just "go away" without delivery? I've never heard of this happening before... If it's not possible that it just went away on it's own, how to do I confront the hospital about this without damaging the relationships between me and the people who may end up being there when I deliver my child? I feel like I'm on thin-ice here... but I also don't feel like I was taken seriously.

Any suggestions/replies/ideas/anything would be extremely welcome!

Amandalynn
#88 of 601 Old 02-15-2005, 10:20 PM

I'm pretty shocked that an OB would make such a diagnosis without drawing any labs. Pre-e would not 'go away' with anything but delivery and it sounds as if you have gotten worse, not better. I think you need a second opinion post-haste.
#89 of 601 Old 02-16-2005, 12:49 AM

I'll second Chava, you need to see another doctor and without delay, go to emerg, if they don't take you seriously, go to another emerg--I can't believe they didn't induce you when you came in at 171/111--my bp NEVER went that high and alot of people were very worried, you need blood work done right away and NO pre-e can't just "go away", it can be temporarily controlled, it doesn't go away until the baby is delivered--and since my bp just shot back up to 145/92, sometimes it takes a few weeks to get totally under control.
Please see someone else right away and let us know what happens.
I wish you the best.
#90 of 601 Old 02-16-2005, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Amandalynn,
I cannot begin to emphasise how important it is for you to go back to the hospital immediately. Go to the ER. Unfortunately your baby is at risk right now. Pre-e does not go away unless you have delivered your baby. If you can, call the OB your midwife reports to and tell them what happened. But you must be seen immediately!!!!!!!!!!
Gossamer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page