Forum Jump: 

#181 of 601 Old 06-06-2005, 02:15 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon0218
Mrs Moe, you need to go to an ER now. I can tell you with certainty you are VERY unlikely to get a referral to a professer at Mac by going to a walk in clinic for a first visit, it's just not the way it works.
Where are you?? I'm assuming you are somewhere close if you are looking at McMaster, let me know, I can give you my OB's name--she could get you in at Mac as she's still affiliated with that hospital--but you still won't likely get to pick your doc, you'll get whichever peri can see you first.
I can't pick my doctor? You are kidding right? If they want to be that way, I will jsut go over the border into Buffalo, cause that's stupid. I called Dr. Ramanna's office already, they said it wouldn't be a problem soon as I got a referral? I had told them a friend referred me etc.

ER??? Na, I just have to take it easy... right? I mean, why go to the ER? With my daughter at the end I had those severe "gas" pains and whatnot (my doctor was so so so stupid.) but I was way way worse with Emma's pregnancy than I am now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 of 601 Old 06-06-2005, 02:20 AM

Quote:
ER??? Na, I just have to take it easy...
I hope you are right. Pre-e has a way of sneaking up on you. You think you are fine....and then you just *aren't*

Good luck at the dr's this week.
#183 of 601 Old 06-06-2005, 02:35 AM
Banned

thanks

PS - When I called the Dr's office to make an appointment, and she told me to get a referral, she told me just to go to a clinic to get one because I would never be able to get to a Dr. She also said she looked forward to meeting me, and we went over all of the fees etc.

Edited to add - going to go to the clinic for a referral tomorrow instead of Saturday. Thanks guys!
#184 of 601 Old 06-06-2005, 05:13 AM

I'm glad you're going tomorrow to see someone When you read some of the stories here of what can happen when it does go wrong, you'll see why I'd say better safe than sorry
#185 of 601 Old 06-06-2005, 09:22 AM

MrsMoe, I'm so glad to read that you are going to the doctor sooner than Saturday.

I, for one, didn't even know I was sick at all (I had Severe Pre-e and HELLP Syndrome) when I went in for one of my monthly OB appointments. I had to be rushed to the hospital where I was induced immeaditely. They later told me that if I hadn't seen my doctor that day I'd probably not have survived another 24 hrs! That is sooo scary to me since I had NO idea at all! I remember having a little 'heartburn' and swelling, but I thought that was normal during pregnancy...

I'll be praying for you and your baby.
#186 of 601 Old 06-06-2005, 12:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraMama
MrsMoe, I'm so glad to read that you are going to the doctor sooner than Saturday.

I, for one, didn't even know I was sick at all (I had Severe Pre-e and HELLP Syndrome) when I went in for one of my monthly OB appointments. I had to be rushed to the hospital where I was induced immeaditely. They later told me that if I hadn't seen my doctor that day I'd probably not have survived another 24 hrs! That is sooo scary to me since I had NO idea at all! I remember having a little 'heartburn' and swelling, but I thought that was normal during pregnancy...

I'll be praying for you and your baby.

wow, so lucky you had a good doctor!!!!!!!!
#187 of 601 Old 06-08-2005, 11:06 PM

A very important first post from a long time lurker.

I have a 17mo old....I was never diagnosed with pre-e with that pregnancy, but I did have PIH starting around 34 weeks. After 6 weeks of bed rest and weekly NST's I delivered a healthy full term baby boy.

Here I am pg with #2....20 weeks. Today at my appt my bp was high 148/88. My regular pressure holds steady at 130s/80s (never really went back to "normal" after pg #1). Protein in my urine today (+2). I've been having some headaches...not too terrible, they don't last long. They drew blood today and I got the gear for a 24 hour urine sample and my OB has asked me to stop working and start bedrest.

I am very frightened. I am only 20 weeks!! I am intimidated by this long road of worry and anxiety that lies ahead of me. I feel depression coming on fast, this road ahead seems so long and it just seems to me now that things are only going to get worse....this can't possibly turn out good.

I have been on the phone all evening with my dear friend who is also my doula. She has given me incredible support and encouragement. The fear is overwhelming and I know it's not helping ANYTHING at this point.

I would love to hear any advice anyone has to offer on any part of my story.

c
#188 of 601 Old 06-08-2005, 11:13 PM

Please don't panic but do be diligent. At 16 weeks my bp flew up, and I did have protein in my urine, but my blood work was still normal. I was told to take things very easy, I was put on blood pressure meds and my baby girl was born at 37.5 weeks very, very healthy I was in hospital for 10 days before she was born as it got harder to control but we all made it. Your doctor sounds wonderfully proactive and believe me, that is more than half the battle.
Do some research, hang out here, take warm baths with epson salts and buy yourself a bp monitor but please dont' panic yourself as that will not help your pressure at all.

We're here for you sweetie and there's no reason to think you will loose this baby provided you and your doctor are diligent.
#189 of 601 Old 06-08-2005, 11:14 PM

Hi there,

I'm not sure if my post will be helpful or not, but here goes!

I started w/ pre-e symptoms at 24-26 weeks w/ my last pregnancy. Thomas was delivered at 31 weeks. That has been pretty consistent for me w/ my pre-e pregnancies.

W/ my first I started having symptoms at 25 weeks and Spencer we delivered at 32 weeks.

For me, and I know that it can be so different for everyone, I have about 7 weeks from onset of symptoms to baby delivered.

I hope that you will be able to make it until at least 32+ weeks.

Thinking of you.
#190 of 601 Old 06-09-2005, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

simply me,
There is no reason to panic until you get your blood results back. If everything is ok as far as liver enzymes etc... then you do need to be diligent about taking any meds they recommend and taking bedrest seriously. Luckily Shannon was able to hang onto Molly until she baked long enough to be able to come home. But it is because Shannon was vigilent about following the Dr.'s orders and did not take anything lightly. Pre-e is serious and I hear so many women say, oh it's such a hassle to go to the ER or make another appointment or call my doctor or find another Dr. I always remind them that is it nowhere near the hassle of planning your child's funeral or picking out a casket to bury your baby in or trying to decide what they will wear the first and only time you ever get to dress them. That is a hassle. So be diligent and vigilent and most importantly, trust your gut. If you think something is not right, say so and say it until someone listens. I will be praying for you.
Gossamer

Before you were conceived, I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were a minute old, I would have died for you. That is the miracle of life. ~Maureen Hawkins~
#191 of 601 Old 06-09-2005, 02:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyme
A very important first post from a long time lurker.

I have a 17mo old....I was never diagnosed with pre-e with that pregnancy, but I did have PIH starting around 34 weeks. After 6 weeks of bed rest and weekly NST's I delivered a healthy full term baby boy.

Here I am pg with #2....20 weeks. Today at my appt my bp was high 148/88. My regular pressure holds steady at 130s/80s (never really went back to "normal" after pg #1). Protein in my urine today (+2). I've been having some headaches...not too terrible, they don't last long. They drew blood today and I got the gear for a 24 hour urine sample and my OB has asked me to stop working and start bedrest.

I am very frightened. I am only 20 weeks!! I am intimidated by this long road of worry and anxiety that lies ahead of me. I feel depression coming on fast, this road ahead seems so long and it just seems to me now that things are only going to get worse....this can't possibly turn out good.

I have been on the phone all evening with my dear friend who is also my doula. She has given me incredible support and encouragement. The fear is overwhelming and I know it's not helping ANYTHING at this point.

I would love to hear any advice anyone has to offer on any part of my story.

c
I know preeclampsia is scary, but I am glad you caught it early. I am also glad that your doctor has ordered bedrest, be glad he isn't an ignorant fool and advised you to work anyhow (like my doctor did and other doctors of other mommies on this forum)- but- what about medications? Any meds to lower your blood pressure? Or is your BP lowering on it's own? Are you taking your BP daily? You can buy a little home machine at the local drugstore.

Make sure you AVOID caffine! And drink lots of fluids. That will help with swelling and blood pressure.

Now, some things to make you feel mroe at ease. One thing I notice is that your blood pressure is normally 130, which is on the highest end of normal. While your BP isn't perfect currently, it could be far worse. And the diastolic is under 90, which is decent. While it isnt' ideal of course, your BP isn't extreme. Now if your BP was normally 110/65 then I would think, WHOA HUGE JUMP! At least it hasn't climbed TOO far, if you know what I mean.

Please keep in mind, stress in any form will increase your blood pressure. Try to relax. Order a movie. Have your man buy you some bon-bons and a Star magazine. Try everything to stay relaxed.
#192 of 601 Old 06-09-2005, 03:13 AM

Question on Pre-E: I just found out I am pg w/ #2. I have not been to my OB yet, but am wondering how likely I might be to get PE with this pg. I got it at the very end of my 1st pregnancy after 4 days of labor w/ 5-10 minute apart contractions pretty much the whole time (point is, it was very stressful and painful) and I was 40 at the time. I developed PE after 2 hours of pushing on day 4 - high bp, high creatinine etc. So I had an emergency c-section. I weighed more after the baby was born than I did right before from all the swelling, lasix for 3 weeks, etc but my bp went back to normal and has been very good since.

Anyway, do you think the PE came on due to the circumstances of my labor and therefore I might be less likely to get it again with this pg? I am very concerned about the possibility of getting it earlier this time 'round and we have no support system since we moved here, away from family and closest friends. Bedrest would be a nightmare because of that.

Thanks for any thoughts...
#193 of 601 Old 06-09-2005, 03:19 AM
Banned

Preeclampsia in the pushing stage of labor? Did you have protien in your urine or any other symptoms besides high blood pressure and high creatinine in your blood or was it Pregnancy Induced Hypertension (very high blood pressure?)
#194 of 601 Old 06-09-2005, 10:14 AM

greenmansions, perhaps you could look into hypnobabies, if your symptoms only started after days of labor, hypnosis has been known to A) speed labor along and of course B) keep mom calm and relatively pain free so she can rest properly between contractions.
Just a thought.

Mrs. Moe, I did ask my OB what she thought of the OB you're going to and she said he's very thorough and it's a good fit for you if you've had complications in the past--she said the only thing bad she's heard about him is he treats everyone like they are high risk--so I guess he's got a bit of that "pregnancy is a disease" attitude, but basically she said he's very likely to be diligent with your case.
#195 of 601 Old 06-09-2005, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

greenmansions,
A substantial number of women get pre-eclampsia after giving birth. Most women who die form pre-e die within 24 hours after giving birth. I wouldn't say that labor brought on the pre-e and the number one risk factor for getting pre-e is having had pre-e. I would caution you to take it easy, know the signs and symptoms and make sure your Dr. knows about your history. The good news is that you contracted pre-e so late in the game. The later and more milder it is, the less chance you have of getting it again. Did that thouroughly confuse you? If you have further questions, www.preeclampsia.org is a great resource for pre-eclampsia.
Gossamer

Before you were conceived, I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were a minute old, I would have died for you. That is the miracle of life. ~Maureen Hawkins~
#196 of 601 Old 06-09-2005, 05:41 PM

Thanks all for the info. I will check out that link for the pe organization.

Mrs moe all i remember was that the creatinine was a measure of kidney function, I think it was measured in urine not blood, tho I'm not positive about that I guess

Gossamer, I am very sorry for your loss and very much appreciate that you are taking the time to help all of us.

I am lucky that my baby is very good and my DS is into keeping everything "low stress" for me during pregnancy - he believes that results in a calm baby, and it worked with the first one. This time round the pe is another reason to keep a low stress lifestyle.

One thing I want to see when I go to my OB (who I really like) is whether she will push me to have a c-section off the bat this time, or let me try a v-bac. I am also not sure which I prefer at this point. But the pe was not fun, and if a c-section at the due date would help avoid it, assuming I don't get pe earlier on, I would consider it. (pe and lasix cost me bfing my son - no milk for 3 weeks- and then pumped & bottle for nearly 9 mos. til no supply left - I'd give up a vaginal birth to be able to bf the next one.)

I apologize if I post this twice, I'm not sure if I submitted it before I went out this morning or not...
#197 of 601 Old 06-09-2005, 07:30 PM
Banned

Quote:

Mrs. Moe, I did ask my OB what she thought of the OB you're going to and she said he's very thorough and it's a good fit for you if you've had complications in the past--she said the only thing bad she's heard about him is he treats everyone like they are high risk--so I guess he's got a bit of that "pregnancy is a disease" attitude, but basically she said he's very likely to be diligent with your case.

Wow, thanks! That was SO cool of you!

While like you, I am not a fan of treating everyone high risk, in fact I had truly wanted a midwife and a home birth. But given my medical circumstances and history, I am technically high-risk anyhow, and at this point I would rather have a Dr. be careful vs reckless like my previous Dr.

Again, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmansions
Thanks all for the info. I will check out that link for the pe organization.

Mrs moe all i remember was that the creatinine was a measure of kidney function, I think it was measured in urine not blood, tho I'm not positive about that I guess

Gossamer, I am very sorry for your loss and very much appreciate that you are taking the time to help all of us.

I am lucky that my baby is very good and my DS is into keeping everything "low stress" for me during pregnancy - he believes that results in a calm baby, and it worked with the first one. This time round the pe is another reason to keep a low stress lifestyle.

One thing I want to see when I go to my OB (who I really like) is whether she will push me to have a c-section off the bat this time, or let me try a v-bac. I am also not sure which I prefer at this point. But the pe was not fun, and if a c-section at the due date would help avoid it, assuming I don't get pe earlier on, I would consider it. (pe and lasix cost me bfing my son - no milk for 3 weeks- and then pumped & bottle for nearly 9 mos. til no supply left - I'd give up a vaginal birth to be able to bf the next one.)

I apologize if I post this twice, I'm not sure if I submitted it before I went out this morning or not...
Gossamer has really educated herself on the preeclampsia topic as well as personal history with preeclampsia. If you haven't read through the posts here, please do, there is some very good information here as well as personal exp - some with very tragic results.
#198 of 601 Old 06-09-2005, 10:43 PM

Thanks for your encouragement.

I am not on bp meds. I do have a home monitor. I had one high reading today 144/84...but the rest have been hovering around 115/75 so I am thrilled. My bloodwork came back normal....I bet that helped lower my bp!!

I am still struggling with the overwhelming thought of being on bedrest for 20 weeks! I am hooked up to do some work from home, that will help a lot I think. I am just trying to focus on the positive. DH is a SAHD so I get to spend the next 20 weeks alone with my DH and my DS....how cool is that. I get to nap and snuggle with DS...read books, color, cuddle. Tons of good quality time together before we have a new baby in the house.

Here's to taking it one day at a time!!!
#199 of 601 Old 06-09-2005, 11:00 PM

Simply me you're not on any meds yet, so that step is available before bedrest, just try to take it easy when you can and keep an eye on your pressure. I'm so glad your doc is so diligent--some women actually have to fight just to have blood work done!! Having a doctor taking you seriously and you having the knowledge to know when something just doesn't feel right is more than half the battle in my opinion. You'll do great!!!
Enjoy your dh and ds--we're looking at trying again in August or September, my biggest struggle is with the thought of bedrest with a young child already--my thinking is it will be easier before she's super mobile--even if it means I have to have her in front of the TV in bed with me (I hope, I hope, I hope, I hope!!) My luck she'll walk super early or something just as ridiculous :LOL
#200 of 601 Old 06-10-2005, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter

Just to give you all some idea of what is available as far as care goes. I see an OB, a perinatologist and a cardiologist. I have had an echocardiogram, an EKG, a 24 hour urine, 2 liver panel/platelet counts and 3 ultrasounds so far. I take my bp 3 times a day and fax them once a week to my cardiologist. I see at least one dr. every 2 weeks. SOme times more often. I saw my OB this past monday, I will see my Peri this monday and my cardiologist on tuesday. T his is the routine until I hit 20 weeks. That is when the monitoring will get intense and frequent. And if I make it to 38 weeks I will have a repeat cesarean section because of my previous classical incision.

Is it the intervention free, natural, crunchy granola pregnancy and birth I dreamed of? No, of course not. BUt does it give me a greater chance of bringing home a baby, you betcha. So, this is what a pre-eclampsia prone pregnancy can look like. IF you are not as closely monitored as I am and if you are not being seen as frequently as I am, there is room for manipulation of your meds and environment and monitoring before you get too bad off. Hope I didn't scare you.
Gossamer

#201 of 601 Old 06-10-2005, 09:43 AM

Yes, while I didn't see a peri regularily and didn't see a cardioligist at all, I was seen weekly by my ob for fetal hb check and bp--I was also doing pressures 3x a day and was to call if I had 2 consecutive readings that were high, or if I had a high reading accompanied by a head ache.
#202 of 601 Old 06-10-2005, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Simply me you're not on any meds yet, so that step is available before bedrest
See now THAT's what I've been wondering. If all else is well and my only issue right now is bp....why can't I take meds and hold off on the bedrest?

I asked my OB that question on Wednesday. His response was, you're bp is not high enough to make it worth the risks that come with starting bp meds. I said....women get pg every day while taking bp meds...many of them PLAN their pregnancies AND continue bp meds their entire pregnancy....why would it be so bad for me to start mid way though. His repsonse....your current bp doesn't meet ACOG standards for starting bp meds, let's treat this naturally with bedrest. He added that even if I was on bp meds he would still have me on bedrest.

Now I am all for an OB that wants to treat things naturally, that is why I chose him, however....20 weeks of bedrest is a LONG time and I strongly indicated to him that this was going to be VERY difficult for me.

We're going to talk about this again at my appt on Monday. We should have my 24 hour urine results to add to the equation.

If my only issue is bp, is it reasonable for me to think that medication and no bedrest would be an appropriate treatment plan for right now? I will still continue weekly visits and I can monitor my bp and protein at home.

Clearly I am fighting bedrest....but not at the risk of my health or my baby's health....that's why I am asking, researching, reading etc.
#203 of 601 Old 06-10-2005, 03:03 PM

I was put on meds the day my bp had 2 readings of 140/95. For me at least, I was sort of already on some sort of bedrest, I was sick until 20 weeks and couldn't eat anything, that really all I did was lay around, so perhaps that was why further rest was not suggested--however, I felt ok for about 8 weeks and I was active and it didn't seem to make a heck of a difference in my bp.
Maybe you could do a day of rest here and there and see what the difference in your bp is.
Bp meds are considered category C which means that no, they really aren't something you want to be on unless you really need them, that said, I was on so many C drugs for her pregnancy and she is fine. Labetalol seems to be the one with the most use in pregnant women--I'm not sure what Gossamer is on.
#204 of 601 Old 06-11-2005, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter

I take aldomet 250 mg 4 times day and acebutelol 200 mg twice a day. Labatelol gave me the shakes and pro cardia made my cheeks flush.

There is a risk in taking bp meds because that can contribute to IUGR (Intra Uterine Growth-Retardation/Restriction) becasue it artifically lowers your bp so not as much blood is traveling to the uterus. That is one reason I am walking the tightrope I am with my perinatologist vs. my cardiologist. My peri wants my bp's around 130/80, my cardiologist isn't thrilled about these numbers but is willing to compromise by having me fax in my bp's weekly. IUGR is something Mary Rose suffered from and is partly why she did not survive. Although she was 24 1/2 weeks, physically she was more like a 22 week old fetus. Her eyes were fused shut, her skin was still gelatinous and she weighed less than a pound. And there is nothing worse than thinking that you are eating right and doing everything you can for your baby and then come to find out that your own body was starving her. I understand the 20 weeks bedrest is a hassle and no fun and will be a strain, but once that baby is born big and healthy and gets to come home, you will know it was all worth it.
Gossamer

#205 of 601 Old 06-13-2005, 04:09 AM
Banned

You know, something in my head sorta clicked. It was mentioned here about auto-immune disorders being linked to preeclampsia. I of course think Lupus and so on when I think auto-immune disorder, but I realized today that I do have an auto-immune disorder (be it not as serious as Lupus.) I have a thyroid condition called Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, which is the most common hypo-thyroid disease. Basically, what I deal with is an underactive thyroid resulting in a multi-nodular goiter on my thyroid. http://www.medicinenet.com/hashimoto...is/article.htm

Do any of you moms have issues with your thyroid?
#206 of 601 Old 06-13-2005, 02:56 PM

I also have Hashimoto's - have had it since age 12. Hmmm...
#207 of 601 Old 06-13-2005, 03:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmansions
I also have Hashimoto's - have had it since age 12. Hmmm...

I had it at a young age also (my goiter took years to develop and it wa squite large at the age of 21.)

Interesting. I wonder who else here has it or thryoid issues?
#208 of 601 Old 06-15-2005, 11:27 AM

I posted on this thread a few weeks ago about my bp being already 140/90 at 10 and again at 14 weeks, so I just wanted to post an update here.

I'm now 20.5 weeks, and at 16 weeks and again this week, my blood pressure has been holding at 130/80. Still not super low, but my doctor is happy with this and so I am I. It has gone down on it's own without medication or bedrest, so that must be a good thing.

Now my goal for the remainder of this pregnancy is to stay healthy and go full term and have a successful VBAC. Barring that, I want to make it to at least 35 weeks and be healthy enough, so I can give birth at our local hospital (no NICU, so that's the earliest they will take you) rather than having to go to the bigger hospital an hour away.
#209 of 601 Old 06-15-2005, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Natasha, that is wonderful. I will keep you in my prayers that you make it to at least 35 weeks if not full term. Please keep us updated.
Gossamer

#210 of 601 Old 06-23-2005, 10:07 AM
kir

Since I am carrying twins, and since a close friend who also recently had twins had preeclampsia that resulted in an early delivery of her babies (they are all fine now!).....I'm totally scared of pre-e.

I'm 15 weeks today. I'm wondering....when do you really need to start being aware of symptoms (like pain in your liver, high bp, etc.)?? what is the range of weeks when pre-e starts to show up?

Thanks for any help you can give....
K

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page