Pre-Eclampsia Watch Dog on the loose. - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-10-2005, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wanted to add that I did buy a bp monitor last night, and it gives me a little peace of mind to be able to monitor my blood pressure at home, since I only see the doctor every two weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2005, 07:06 PM

I just wanted to post an update to my situation. On Monday I went to visit my mw and my blood pressure was 147/102 when I was there. So they had me do a NST on the baby and she is just fine according to that. But tomorrow I am to go back and get my pressure taken again and if it is still high I will be scheduled for a 24 hr urine. I so hope that everything is ok. I have never had pre-e or anything before and don't know how common it is to develope symptoms of it in a 3rd pg. I am glad you ladies are here to talk to though.

Goldie, Mom to 5 my kiddos and forever loving on my fantabulous dh John.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:36 PM

Your midwife let you go home without doing bloodwork with a pressure that high????
Old 08-10-2005, 11:44 PM

I had had blood work done a few days before and everything came back normal, so I guess she didn't think I needed to have it done. Her words were this exactly "I guess you must just be having a high blood pressure day." I didn't know that I should have had blood work done. I figured since she consults with obs that she talked with one of them, and they told her not to have bloodwork done. I really don't know though. If it is still high tomorrow I should have them do bloodwork?

Old 08-11-2005, 01:14 AM - Thread Starter

Goldiemom,
I am sorry you had a scare over your blood pressure. It sounds like your doctor has a good handle on things and I am so glad your baby did fine during the NST. FOrtunately you are very close to your due date and you can be managed until the baby is due as long as your doctor stays on top of things. You might also want to ask him about a full liverpanel and platelet count blood test. Please keep us informed.
Gossamer

Before you were conceived, I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were a minute old, I would have died for you. That is the miracle of life. ~Maureen Hawkins~
Old 08-11-2005, 09:02 PM

Today when I went to have my blood pressure taken it was 150/100. So the nurse called my mw and she sent me over to the hospital to be monitered and have my blood pressure taken several times and see if laying down and resting didn't get it to come down. After 2 1/2 hours it did finally come down to 155/89 and they were happy enough with those numbers to let me go home and do the 24 hr urine here. I am to go back in the morning and have blood drawn and my urine analized, but right now they think it is most likely that I have PIH. Just thought you all would like to know how things went.

Old 08-11-2005, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Again, I am sorry you are having problems with your bp, but it sounds like your doctors have a handle on it. I am glad they are being vigilant about blood tests and urine tests. PIH can be managed if it doesn't morph into pre-e. Are they talking about putting you on medication for your bp?
Gossamer

Before you were conceived, I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were a minute old, I would have died for you. That is the miracle of life. ~Maureen Hawkins~
Old 08-11-2005, 11:59 PM

Goldie, I'm glad too that you are being monitored so closely

And Gossamer, how are you doing??? BP staying under control??
Old 08-12-2005, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

SO far. I have had my Acebutelol increased to 400mg twice a day but the OB, Peri and cardiologist are all happy with the numbers. I had a visit with the peri on monday and baby boy has jumped up to the 59th percentile from the 50th % four weeks ago, so we are not suffering from any IUGR yet. My last 24 hour urine and liver panel came back fine. ANd they estimate baby boy weighs about 2 pounds at 25 weeks. COnsidering that my baby Mary Rose only weighed 15 oz at 24 1/2 weeks, I am feeling very good about this one.
Gossamer

Old 08-12-2005, 12:27 AM

Great!!! How many weeks are you now??
Old 08-12-2005, 01:15 AM

I imagine I will find out about bp meds after I find out my blood test results and the results from the 24 hr urine. So I would guess that either tomorrow or Tuesday at my mw appt they will discuss with me what my options are.

Gossamer, I am glad that you are being able to keep things under control for the time being. It is great news that your little boy seems to be thriving right now. That must be a huge relief. I will be praying that things continue to go well for you.

Old 08-30-2005, 04:32 AM

Hi--I just got home from the hospital after a home birth. I started having pre-e symptoms about 3 days after delivery.

I was in the hospital for 3 days and now I've been home for 2, but I am still not feeling well. I talked to the dr and she is not worried about seizures any longer, and just wants to treat my headache with pain meds. My bp was 120/85 yesterday. I have a medium headache, but no more liver pain. No swelling, no visual changes.

I am still concerned and am wondering if anyone has any info about the course of pre-e in the postpartum period. I am just not convinced that the medical people know how to handle this. They had not seen a case like mine and kept talking about how atypical it was.

I really don't know what else to do to take care of myself--my mother is here and is mostly taking care of the baby. I have gotten some good sleep. We are now bottle feeding with mostly formula and some pumped milk--I am afraid that I am losing my milk, too, but that is a whole other issue.

How long will I feel crappy? Has anyone else had pre-e that started post-partum?

I am so grateful that my baby was out of my body, but still feel nervous about this condition.

Thanks in advance for any ideas, info or experiences!! I love you guys!!!

--Adrienne
Old 08-30-2005, 05:01 AM

I had increasing signs of eclampsia post-partum. I think my numbers got up to something like 180/120. They put me in a wheelchair and made me take sleeping pills. I was stressed out and overly tired - my baby was in NICU and I didn't sleep for about four days straight. Funny how that can put your BP all out of whack, eh?

The doctors did not seem so worried, despite the fact that I felt like I had suddenly become the world's biggest caffeine addict. The nurses seemed more concerned that my heart was going to give out first.

The sleeping pills and taking the stress down a notch (or seventeen notches) really helped. Maybe you are feeling stressed about the transition to motherhood or not getting as much sleep as you need? Is there a support group locally you could go to (LLL)?
Old 08-30-2005, 10:46 AM

There is a real, documented phenomena of 'postpartum pre-eclampsia/eclampsia'. As an L&D nurse, I've seen it more than a few times - even women that went home and came back after discharge. It might be 'atypical', but it's not that rare.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mom2six is right. Post partum pre-eclampsia is not rare at all. I suggest you follow up with your OB asap. IF possible keep track of your bp's at home to keep an eye on them. www.preeclampsia.org has lots of good informaiton on post partum pre-e. I am glad your baby is doing well, but now it is time to take care of yourself.
Gossamer

Old 08-30-2005, 06:18 PM

Gossamer - I've been thinking about you. How are YOU doing? You must be about 30 weeks now? Breathing a sigh of relief to have passed that 'viability' mark?
Old 08-31-2005, 01:01 AM - Thread Starter

Chava,
So far I am doing very well. No signs of pre-eclampsia. I have had some bp issues but have been under the care of a cardiologist who is keeping a good eye on my meds. I fax my bp's to him on a weekly basis. I am also seeing a perinatologist who is keeping a close eye on the growth of the baby. SO far the baby is in the 59th% which is such a relief because Mary Rose suffered so badly from IUGR. I am getting monthly 24 hour urines and liver panels. So I am under a lot of watchful eyes and really excellent care. You are right, it is quite a relief to be past the viability mark. Our perinatologist told us that at 28 weeks we have 90% viability and we are now 28 1/2 weeks. DH and I celebrated 28 weeks. I am almost ready to believe we might bring this baby home. Thank you for your well wishes. Thank you also for your wisdom and contributions to this thread. It is so important to me.
Gossamer

Old 08-31-2005, 01:08 AM - Thread Starter

Goldiemom,
How are you doing? How did your urine and bloodwork turnout? Just remember that pre-eclampsia is most common in the third trimester so it is something you need to keep on top of.
Gossamer

Old 08-31-2005, 01:25 AM

I think goldiemom had her baby already...I think they were planning on induction, but I don't know how it all turned out.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:16 PM

Glad to hear things are going so well for you Gossamer.

I am still doing OK. The only problem I have right now is a fair amount of swelling. My blood pressure has been staying under control on it's own (well relatively, it's still borderline high, but hasn't gone up at all yet), and there is no protein in my urine to date. My doctor did a liver panel at around 28 weeks and that was good too (I am 31.5 weeks now). I am going to finish working at the end of next week, though my doctor would prefer I quit now. Since I am taking such a long maternity leave, I need this time to make sure the people who will be sharing and taking over my duties are adequately trained. I am very happy that my doctor is being very pro-active right now. I am seeing him weekly, and he wants me resting as much as possible to keep things from happening before they even start. I am doing better right now than I was at this stage in my previous pregnancy, so I'm glad for that.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:17 AM - Thread Starter

Natasha,
I am so glad to hear that everything is going well for now. Isn't it encouraging to be able to compare to the last pregnancy and know that you are farther along than you were last time you got sick? I know I was so relieved when I hit 25 weeks.
Gossamer

Old 09-01-2005, 02:30 AM

Hi everyone!! So, I'm joining back in the pregnant ranks
We weren't trying yet, but, well, I guess this babe had other plans--so much less stress just finding out

Is there an increased risk of Pre-e in two close pregnancies (Molly is 7 mos old)
Old 09-01-2005, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon0218
Is there an increased risk of Pre-e in two close pregnancies (Molly is 7 mos old)
Not to my knowledge. But without looking at your prior posts, I seem to remember you have a diagnosed clotting disorder? That is going to make you at risk no matter what your baby spacing is.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:47 AM - Thread Starter

Shannon,
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!! I don't think having 2 pregnancies so close together is an issue, but the fact that you had pre-eclampsia in your previous pregnancy gives you at least a 50% risk of getting it again. I will keep my fingers crossed.
Gossamer

Old 09-01-2005, 03:02 AM

Yes I do have a clotting disorder and actually have a dvt right now. I fell a couple weeks ago and hurt my leg, I went in this morning with pain behind my knee-it's not a big clot but I'm on a higher than profalactic dose of heparin right now (with instructions not to fall again--yeahhhh, if only someone had thought to tell me that before :LOL)
Old 09-01-2005, 07:15 AM

My DS was born in July, so when DS gives me a few moments of freedom I have popped into the "life with a babe" forum.

However I wanted to pop back here to see how Gossamer and bub was doing.

I'm am very glad to read in the previous posts that you have hit 28 weeks and that things are going well.

I can't wait to read that you have delivered safely your baby boy.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:59 AM

Joining the thread.
I am now past the stage of when I developed pre-e in my first pregnancy.
I had pregnancy induced hypertension and at 34 weeks developed into pre-e. Long story short, I was induced but had a c-section at 35 weeks.

I am 35.5 weeks now, and the last couple of days, I've noticed I swell at random times.
My blood pressure has been normal [about 118/70] everytime it's taken, although last time the lower number was 6 points higher than normal, but I've had it do that before in this pregnancy. I have not been able to take my blood pressure during swelling episodes.
As I said I swell at random times, I do get hot but it doesn't feel like my blood pressure. I do whatever is opposite of what I'm doing at the time to try to make it go down. I drink more water, and eat protein, and just wait it out. It seems to go down at random times too.
I can't think of any reason why I'd suddenly start swelling, often for no reason. I did notice that it happens more at night.
I also notice that during these swelling episodes, I pee very little, but as soon as the swelling is gone, I pee a lot and then go back to normal.
I'll admit, I'm a bit worried about developing pre-e again, so I just want to be safe.

heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif

Old 09-05-2005, 01:19 PM

I've been having the same sort of random swelling as well. But it is happening more and more regularly for me. Enough to concern my doctor anyway. My bp has been borderline my entire pregnancy, and is starting to creep up little by little right now. I am 32 weeks. I made it to 37 weeks last time, and I'm hoping to make it at least that far this time. It seems hopeful since my bp was much higher at this point in my last pregnancy, and my doctor is being very vigilant now.

I had a scare last week with a severe headache. I went to the doctor and everything was OK. I suffer from migraines normally, so that is what this was this time too. That's what I felt it was, but I wanted to be checked out just in case. I had some bloodwork done, and will find out how that came out tomorrow when I have my regular appointment.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Swelling in and of itself is not indicative of pre-eclampsia. Is your face swelling? Are your hands swelling? I would ask your doctor to do a 24 hour urine to see if your kidneys are functioning. Remember that heat is a contributing factor to swelling in any pregnancy with or without pre-eclampsia.
Gossamer

Old 09-06-2005, 04:11 PM

Thanks Gossamer.
My midwife thinks it's just normal pregnancy swelling, perhaps caused by the humidity we've been having lately.
She wants me to keep an eye on it a bit more, and if it's not any better by Thursday to come in for a check up and some labs.
I just figured it'd be better to be safe than sorry.

heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif

User Tag List