Pulled groin muscles...yoga ok? advice? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-07-2004, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello everyone. I was wondering if some of you can help me out here. I pulled a ligament or something in my groin and OMG is it hurting lately. It was almost better but I aggrivated it when I took my ds to the park one day. I felt bad for not really doing much with him, resting is what's best for a pulled muscle. We had a blast at the park, but I think I overdid it.

Now I'm in oh so much pain! If I'm still (sitting, laying down, or standing) then I'm fine. But, almost any movement hurts. I was doing prenatal yoga and some tai chi before I pulled the muscles. But, I haven't done them in almost 2 weeks.

I've been almost obsessed with keeping my body in shape since I've been doing my own prenatal care. I would love to get back to doing yoga. My other muscles are feeling 31 flavors of tension from not moving around as much.

I'm not sure if yoga will aggrivate the muscles or help them. The movement hurts but the prenatal yoga I've been doing is really gentle. I can do the most modified poses (most of which use a chair for assistance) I guess but I'm nervous about making things worse.

Anyways, I was just wondering what you all thought. Has anyone had this problem before? It's been a really long time since I've pulled a muscle and so I don't remember how long they take to heal. I really want to strengthen these muscles before the baby is born (so I can squat or go into whatever position my body tells me to). Plus, I can make love which is starting to get really frustrating (my libido has kicked into full gear).

*hugs and thanks*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2004, 07:04 PM

I've been doing yoga for years. The wonderful thing about yoga is that it can be modified for any health condition. Especially, prenatal yoga, which is so gentle to begin with. Just tell you teacher about your injury and listen to your body very carefully. Don't do anything that causes any discomfort in the injured area. You'll feel better just going to class even if you can't do a lot.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

*hugs* Thanks. I actually haven't been doing a class but following a DVD. I can't afford classes right now.

I could simply stop when I feel pain. Or modify what I do so that there isn't any pain. I'm just so nervous about re-aggrivating it. lol
Old 12-08-2004, 07:23 PM

Hey. When I was in college, I pulled my groin muscle and it took almost a year for it to completely heal. (Doesn't help that I was on my college's cross-country team, I didn't exactly let it rest . . . ) But it takes a long time ot get it back to normal. About two weeks ago, I strained it (didn't pull it thank goodness, but it still hurts) I have just been skipping the excercises that make it hurt (I do Pilates and jog) and kept doing all of the others. I also have tried to modify the ones that do hurt. In this case, I really think the whole "no pain no gain" is crap. Avoid the pain and let it heal, but don't make the rest of your body suffer. HTH!
Aprilynne

Mom of , , , and . Looooooove my SAHHubby and spend a lot of time here ---->
Old 12-09-2004, 02:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maprilynne
Hey. When I was in college, I pulled my groin muscle and it took almost a year for it to completely heal. (Doesn't help that I was on my college's cross-country team, I didn't exactly let it rest . . . ) But it takes a long time ot get it back to normal. About two weeks ago, I strained it (didn't pull it thank goodness, but it still hurts) I have just been skipping the excercises that make it hurt (I do Pilates and jog) and kept doing all of the others. I also have tried to modify the ones that do hurt. In this case, I really think the whole "no pain no gain" is crap. Avoid the pain and let it heal, but don't make the rest of your body suffer. HTH!
Aprilynne
I so agree. I'm just being really careful as I don't want to aggrivate it. Plus, I plan to squat when I give birth and need those muscles. Though, I'm sure dh can help support me.

User Tag List