Pain in Cervix after sex - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-20-2004, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I am 18 weeks, showing, feeling movement, etc.

Last night, after some quite enjoyable intercourse with hubby, I had some pretty intense feelings in my cervix...I want to say dialation feelings, but maybe that is not what I was feeling. This is my second baby, so that is why I use the word dialation..it felt a bit like opening. And this was a feeling I got when standing and walking around only...when I laid down, completely went away and is gone today.

So was that just extra blood flow or irritation or inflamation of all those blood vessels in the area? Is this fairly common?

I was glad it went away, it was a little bit disconcerting!

Me, 42
Hubs, 44
Married 22 years
Two boys 11 and 9
and a HUGE surprise: I'm almost 10 weeks pregnant!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2004, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Yes yes yes. I started having that EXACT feeling at about 17 weeks I believe. I talked to my midwife about it and she checked me just in case. No dilation, no effacement. I'm sure you are aware that semen contains a TON of prostaglandins. Those prostaglandins are the same kind of thing that cause your cervix to soften late in pregnancy for effacement and dilation. Right now you have a very sensitive cervix(increased blood flow, increased sensitivity) because you are pregnant. When your hubby releases semen on or near your cervix, it irritates your cervix even more, causing that pain. Apparently the pain only happens when standing because the baby is starting to put pressure on your cervix as it gets heavier. This pressure only irritates your cervix even more, causing that pain. I have found condoms help quite a bit as does dh just pulling out because there's no semen getting to my cervix. If you want to, just try sex at night before bed because you will be laying down sleeping through the irritation time and there won't be much pain when you wake in the morning. That's our rule. Sex at night and he can . . . .ahem. . ."release" inside. Sex in the morning and he either needs to use a condom or pull out. My pain didn't just stay for an hour or so and leave. It literally lasted all day long and I walked around crossing my legs and holding my crotch area because I thought my baby was going to fall out! I'm now 31 weeks and it's been working for us since 17weeks and we still have sex every other day or so.
Meg

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

Old 12-23-2004, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Thank you thank you thank you, Meg!
That seems to explain things perfectly and put husband at ease a bit-he was worried he was going to cause pre-term dilation!

Me, 42
Hubs, 44
Married 22 years
Two boys 11 and 9
and a HUGE surprise: I'm almost 10 weeks pregnant!

User Tag List