Braxton Hicks: when did you start feeling them? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-12-2005, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm at 19 weeks with #3 and for the past few weeks I swear I've been feeling the Braxton Hicks/uterus tightening. I never ever felt anything with #1 or #2. (Never had a contraction until I was induced both times.)

I'm just curious to what all of you had noticed as I thought they didn't start until much later in the pregnancy.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2005, 11:10 AM

I am about 6 months pregnant with my second child and I started having them earlier this time than with my first. I noticed them when I was around 4 months, they would usually happen in the evening after a busy day...I am now noticing them 3-4 times a week, usually in the evening when I go to bed. With my first child I started having them around 7 months, but they would happen every evening, sometimes 2-3 times. I delivered a day early with my first, maybe I'll be a week early with this one :.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:10 PM

Hi Michelle, I believe I started having them around 20 weeks in both my previous pregnancies.

I'm the Queen of Braxton-Hicks and pretty much have them round the clock for the last 4-5 months of pregnancy. I try to stay well hydrated as I notice that they get worse if I don't drink enough. I just started my 18th week yesterday and haven't noticed any yet but I anticipate they'll start in a couple weeks.

I've heard they are more common in subsequent pregnancies because your uterus has BTDT. I don't think it necessary means you will deliver early, though. My 2nd dc was born on her due date after an insane amount of BH for months and prodromal labor for weeks.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:13 PM

W/ AJ I had them at 18 wks for the rest of the time. This time hardly anything till my ptl at 34 wks.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

Old 01-13-2005, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

I do notice them more later in the day. I still work out most mornings on the treadmill and would hate to give that up. I'll have to see if I get less BH on the days I'm not able to get my 5 miles in.

Thanks for the reminder about water. I have a water bottle at my desk, but sometimes I get to lunch and realize that it is still full! Need to work on that.

Thanks!

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
Old 01-13-2005, 05:32 PM

I started having BH just a few days shy of the week 20 mark. I only get them after ~certain~ umm... relations.
With first pg, I did not get them at all, I don't think. Or else I just didn't notice.... or didn't realize it. But this time, it's like clockwork. I kind of like them, it's a strange sensation!
Old 01-13-2005, 05:41 PM

While we're on this subject, i wonder if anyone could describe what BH contactions feel like. I never noticed having them with my first but the past few days i've gotten these crampy things that don't last long. (i'm 22 weeks)
The cramps i'm having hurt pretty bad around what feels like the top of my uterus and maybe extend down a bit. Do you think this is BH or other abdominal cramping? What do they feel like for you?
Old 01-13-2005, 06:33 PM

i am having what i assume is bh contractions. i am about as far along as you are mclisa. i can never really tell when they start, just like a cramping feeling, then if i feel, i can definately feel my uterus tightened (i'm a bit squishy, so this is the only time i can feel the outline of my uterus clearly).

it's been happening about once a day for a week or so.

aja

Mama to Jet 6/05, Marvel 8/06 and Cash and Fox 2/09
Expecting Ada Marianne 11/14
Old 01-13-2005, 06:38 PM

Berkeleyp, I think you are having BH. They make your uterus hard to the touch, it's like a big rubber ball under your skin in your belly. I love to feel it and see it, you can really see where it is, how high it goes, etc.
Lower cramping, maybe... a good couple inches below the belly button might be something to question, but as long as it's kind of all-consuming and an overall/upper tightness, it's probably BH. Certain things trigger them for a lot of people. Sometimes being a little dehydrated, sometimes a lot of activity, sometimes stress, I think, sometimes sexual activity.
The only thing that makes me wonder about yours though is that you say they hurt. I don't think BH actually hurt, hurt. More of just a kind of "different" sensation.....
Lets see what other people say.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:37 PM

Mine never hurt, exactly, more like a tightening sensation. I guess I could say that some of the stronger ones towards the end of my pregnancy were slightly uncomfortable. I used to practice relaxing through them and just breathing which was a great labor primer.

I'm LOL right now because I remember saying in my first pregnancy, "Gee, with all these Braxton-Hicks I will be so ready for real labor because I've already had so many contractions and I know what they will feel like!" HA! um, maybe take a braxton-hicks and multiply it by a million..
Old 01-13-2005, 09:50 PM

I haven't noticed any with any of my pg's.

User Tag List