Post-Partum Bathing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-14-2005, 03:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Someone posted a link to this product on another thread on this board:
http://www.internatural-alternative-...ingr322012.cfm
It's an herbal bath to use post-partum. I thought it looked pretty good.
Has anyone tried this? Or can anyone suggest a similar product they really love? Thanks!
#2 of 11 Old 01-14-2005, 03:33 AM - Thread Starter

I found some other types online just now...

http://www.earthmamaangelbaby.com/po...ath_herbs.html
and
http://www.growinglife.com/glproduct...alsitzbath.htm
and
http://rds.yahoo.com/S=2766679/K=pos...sitz_bath.html

What do you think of these and the previous one posted?
#3 of 11 Old 01-14-2005, 12:39 PM

I have not tried any of those products, but my midwife makes a "tea" bath for after birth that uses many of the same ingredients (I have strong associations with the smell of garlic now) and it was awesome. She put me and the babe in the bath immediately after birth while her assistant changed my sheets and cleaned up and made us breakfast. It gave me the opportunity to look my new baby over, count her toes, see her naked, and start bonding before she needed to be dressed and blanketed. My baby went totally limp in the warm water, like she was inside me again. It was the sweetest thing ever. The bath made me feel fresh, like I'd washed off the last bit of the pregnancy and birth and was ready to move on to being this child's mother. I HIGHLY reccommend the sitz bath after birth. It is very theraputic, and good for fighting infection so I'm told. I don't know how well it reduced swelling, as I delivered a 10+lb child and I can't imagine not being swolen after that, but I experienced VERY minimal pain. I took a dose of tylenol the day she was born, and nothing after.

Just your typical non-theistic, liberal, blended family.

Thank you, Mothering, for the past twelve years of support and community. I look forward to many more.
rocks.jpggrouphug.gif

#4 of 11 Old 01-14-2005, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

I did the Sitz baths after pg#1 and pg#2, but it was just with warm water & nothing else in it. The hospital gives a little device to put on the toilet. Pretty neat, I thought. Haha. This time, I'd like to do some herbal soaks of some sort. Was garlic the only thing she put in the tea bag or were there other herbs in there? Thanks for the input.
#5 of 11 Old 01-14-2005, 07:17 PM

There were a lot of the same herbs that were in those premade soaks. The garlic smell was particularly strong because she used fresh garlic. If you would like, I can privately send you my midwife's email address and you can ask her for the recipe.

Just your typical non-theistic, liberal, blended family.

Thank you, Mothering, for the past twelve years of support and community. I look forward to many more.
rocks.jpggrouphug.gif

#6 of 11 Old 01-14-2005, 08:53 PM

YES

My mother is a midwife. She and all midwifes I know have used these baths for years. (mom makes hers from scrach) They are the best!

Nobody should have a baby without. Don't forget to put the baby in too. It helps the belly button heal faster.
#7 of 11 Old 01-14-2005, 09:41 PM

So do you need a sitz bath and an herbal bath? Or do you think an herbal bath is enough? I've been trying to figure this out before I order my herbs. You need an actual machine of some sort for a sitz bath don't you? It's like a little jacuzzi for your butt, isn't it? Sorry to hijack the thread. This is one of those things I just haven't put much thought into until now, the last minute.
#8 of 11 Old 01-14-2005, 09:46 PM

I had an herbal bath recipe my mw's gave me with fresh garlic, sea salt, shepherd's purse, and uva ursi. It was fantastic. I totally recommend it.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#9 of 11 Old 01-14-2005, 10:53 PM

I guess I'm wondering "why?"

I didn't have one (nor was it suggested) after Noah and we both healed VERY rapidly (his cord stub fell off very early and I was DONE bleeding by 9 days after birth). What benefits does it have? Does it matter if the birth was "wet"? I just can't imagine wanting to climb in a bath after having been in the waterbirth tub for hours.
#10 of 11 Old 01-15-2005, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

The Sitz bath is just something they recommended for a post-partum mom to do 2-3 times each day for 1-2 weeks. I believe it was just to keep the area cleansed and to reduce swelling or something like that. It's also supposed to soothe hemmeroids, I believe.

The Sitz bath "device" the hospital gave me was a little plastic bowl type item that fit onto the toilet. From what I can remember... You raise the toilet seat, put the plastic bowl on, and then put the toilet seat back down. The plastic bowl has holes in the back for the water to drain. You're supposed to fill it up with warm water. Then, since it has a tube & IV-type bag hooked up to it, new fresh hot water fills in slowly. The hole at the end of the tube makes a bubbling sensation in the "area". As the new water comes in from the tube/IV bag, it sends old water out through the back of the plastic bowl. Hope that makes sense! I enjoyed it. I always felt refreshed afterwards. I guess it also helps keep the area a little cleaner from blood, etc.

Ok, I did a quick online search and found this picture of one:
(the 2nd one on this page was what mine looked like.)
http://medicalmailorder.com/sitzbath.html
#11 of 11 Old 01-15-2005, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureMamaOR
I guess I'm wondering "why?"

I didn't have one (nor was it suggested) after Noah and we both healed VERY rapidly (his cord stub fell off very early and I was DONE bleeding by 9 days after birth). What benefits does it have? Does it matter if the birth was "wet"? I just can't imagine wanting to climb in a bath after having been in the waterbirth tub for hours.
I forgot to mention I had two a few days after birth. I had no desire to get in a bath right after birth either.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page