7 pounds weight gain normal at 15 weeks? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 01-30-2005, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am gaining weight so fast this pregnancy. Last time I hadn't gained any yet at this point. Plus I look bigger than my 24 week friends. I mean huge. A tiny bit of it may be on my butt but most of it is belly. I was lifting my shirt up to show co workers yesterday and they were like holy cow! Is 7 pounds excessive at this point? I know I can't slow down now since now is when my baby is starting to need the extra calories to grow but I wonder if I have been a gluttonous pig the last couple months or what. And I'm skinny to begin with so the belly is really obvious.
#2 of 12 Old 01-30-2005, 08:07 PM

Two cents from a 1st timer (so it's probably worth that much!): don't worry if everything else points to a healthy pregnancy! Just try to eat healthy most of the time and relax a bit.

Everyone kept warning me "you'll gain all your weight in the last month/two months". Whatever! There were weeks VERY EARLY that I gained up to 4 lbs a week!!! Scared the bejesus out of me. Like you I was also skinny and fairly athletic. Between about 30-36wks I barely gained or the gaining slowed to a crawl. I'm due in two weeks and total gain is currently about 36 lbs. now.
#3 of 12 Old 01-30-2005, 09:38 PM

I have already gained 7lbs already and I'm 13 weeks tomorrow :

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#4 of 12 Old 01-30-2005, 09:40 PM

Not EVEN going to hop on the scale. I know all I need to know about my weight gain at this point based on my inability to button my pants!
#5 of 12 Old 01-31-2005, 12:25 AM

I think 7 lbs sounds about perfect!

Stacy-- Wife to my DH, mom to three: noodle girl:, Lego boy , little guy :
#6 of 12 Old 01-31-2005, 01:23 AM

I am really trying to keep an eye on my weight (or diet rather) this pg as I gained 60lbs with ds (didn't gain a pound until 5 months though, then I averaged about 3-5lbs a WEEK!) I did eat like a pig though : and whatever I wanted.

anyway I was surprised I had gained weight already this time around!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#7 of 12 Old 01-31-2005, 01:45 AM

I think that 5-10 is what I've read. There is a whole range of normal and healthy. As long as you are eating well I'd not be too concerned.

At least you can gain weight! With dd I had lost 10 lbs.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#8 of 12 Old 01-31-2005, 01:59 AM

this time i am just not gonna go there! last time i got so many questions/flack about weight gain that i am not even gonna get on the scale!!! i dont mean from my mw from other folks including the staff at those dumb maternity clothes stores. i was very healthy and exercised lots and ate lots of healthy food. when i stopped weighing myself at about 30-32 weeks i had only gained 8 lbs.
BUT i started out weighing more than my ideal by quite a bit soooo i probably gained just a perfect amount b/c bigger = less weight gain and thinner = more weight gain for the same outcome of a healthy pregnancy. your body does what it needs to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sounds like you are right on track for your body and your baby. dont let anybody tell you otherwise!!!!!!!!!!
#9 of 12 Old 01-31-2005, 12:21 PM

I think that's totally normal, probably a bit less than I tend to gain by that point. This is my 3rd pregnancy and I tend to gain exactly the same amount at the same time, and lose exactly the same post-baby, all with no real intentional effort either way. I think particularly if you are smallish to begin with, as am I, you are perhaps likely to gain some a bit earlier. No worries!
#10 of 12 Old 01-31-2005, 01:50 PM

My mw told me 12-15 lbs in the first 20 weeks and 1 lb/week after that. So you sound like you are fine -

~~Mama to DS1 6/05 and DS2 12/07~~
#11 of 12 Old 01-31-2005, 02:04 PM

I almost have to laugh reading these since I have already gained 18 pounds (yes I said 18 POUNDS!) at 12 weeks. I gained 70 total with dd. I'm not a heavy person (I average 120) but for some reason gain lots during pg. I feel awful unless I am eating. I'm very dissappointed because i didn't want to have a repeat of last time, so I'm going to see a dietitian in 2 weeks. My doc said that we'll work on the weight thing once I get through the miserable morning sickness. The prob with dd was that after I started feeling better, I didn't modify my diet and ate like a pig. Oh, I should mention that I started that pregnancy underweight at 105, so the doc started counting my weight gain once I reached 125 (6 weeks). I delivered by csection at 175 lbs.

Don't freak out too much about your weight. I was back down to 125 within 5 months-- breastfeeding is the key!!! That said, the weight gain took a terrible toll on me physically - I had lots of joint pain and of course was terribly uncomfortable. I'm trying to have some willpower this time - starting now!
#12 of 12 Old 01-31-2005, 11:53 PM

7 Pounds at 15 weeks??? I am SO jealous! I gained 60 pounds with DS and seem to be on track for a repeat this time around. At 6 weeks I may have gained 7 pounds already! (I will not set foot on a scale until I have to.) I started both pregnancies underweight so maybe my body is forcing me to catch up?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page