The pregnant nose - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 01-31-2005, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There have been times that I've looked at women who were pregnant and noticed that their noses kind of looked a little different; like they were swollen. Not with all, but with some; it's kind of just a "look" that they had.
My sister, who is about 18 weeks has one too! I noticed it but didn't say anything because I didn't want to make her self conscious. However, her dh got to her before me anyway and was playfully making fun of it this weekend when we were all together.
Is this another side effect of overactive mucous membranes or what? I can't find anything about it when I google. And for the record, I don't believe she's having problems with a stuffy nose.
Thoughts??
Karen
#2 of 12 Old 01-31-2005, 12:33 AM

I don't know! That's awful that her husband was making fun of her nose!

I used to work with this girl who ate TONS of food while pg. And her nose got bigger (among other things), so I always thought that was the reason behind puffy noses during pg. I don't think my nose has ever gotten puffy during any of my pg's.

I really don't know and am looking forward to see if anyone else knows the reason behind the puffy nose syndrome. :LOL
#3 of 12 Old 01-31-2005, 12:36 AM

Yeah, I totally know what you mean about some women's noses during pg.

Mine never got that way, but I do notice it on some people and it seems it is fair headed (red or blond) women.

I also heard once that if the shape/size of your nose changes it means you are having a girl.

~lisa~mama to 3 boys (1/02, 5/04, 12/06)
#4 of 12 Old 01-31-2005, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

lol yeah, I was surprised he did that. But they're newleyweds so it's not as big of a deal if say, my husband did it to me. We've been married 8 years; he would have been on the floor in a choke hold with my knee in his crotch
For the record, I know her blood pressure has been fine and she hasn't had sudden weight gain that I know of. I think it's just some sort of "thing" that happens. Like my best friend who started getting gray hairs the moment her son was born lol!!!
#5 of 12 Old 01-31-2005, 12:41 AM

My nose did this, too. Got kinda red and fleshy, like Bill Clinton. :LOL
I also developed what I referred to as a face-hemorroid, which was actually a broken capillary (like a tiny spider vein) that got really swollen and looked absolutely horrid. Thank God it went away a few weeks post-partum. I'm assuming it was due to increased blood volume/pressure.
#6 of 12 Old 01-31-2005, 01:12 AM

When I look back at pictures from my last pregnancy, my whole face looked kinda swollen the last few months and I guess my nose did look a little bigger. I didn't notice it at the time, though, LOL! I will probably look back at pictures from this preg. also and think the same thing, but I don't notice any difference in the nose yet.
#7 of 12 Old 01-31-2005, 01:20 AM

OMG!!! I totally get the "pregnant nose" thing every time I'm pg. In fact, I always say that my nose is pregnant before the second line appears on the test. I think that it's just one of those things that happens to some (unlucky) women and not to others. I also gain weight all over; I've never been one of those cute little pg women that looks like she has a basketball under her shirt. Gottaknit, yeah, I get the whole Bill Clinton comparison. :LOL I can't stand to look at pictures of myself when I'm pg.
#8 of 12 Old 01-31-2005, 11:40 AM

Okay, so I'm the sister with the swollen nose : hehehe....

For the record, it was my mother who noticed my big nose, and said something about it at the dinner table Saturday night. My dh hadn't noticed until then, and then continued to make silly comments about it (all in fun). Don't worry though, I smashed his face with mashed potatoes when he made a rather mean one! He hasn't said anything since I think it started a week or so ago when I noticed I was having a hard time breathing when I went to bed at night. I noticed some redness around my nose too, which my mother also pointed out. It looks like the skin is dry around it, and swollen. Oh well. I'm thinking this is all just to prove to my dh that we are having a girl, which is what he seems to think. He's having dreams about us having a girl. I had one dream that we had a boy, and one that we had a girl, so I have no idea! Anyway, so I had to reply to my sisters thread.....

Thanks Karen!
#9 of 12 Old 02-01-2005, 12:02 AM

My nose completely gets big, it's big now, and I can't wait until I deliver! I hate it, my face is so fat, I do not take pictures, I don't want to see myself. I gained a lot of weight this pregnancy, I guess I started off heavier than I ever was anyways.
#10 of 12 Old 02-01-2005, 08:29 AM

What a funny and fun post. My nose grows/swells/puffs a little bit too. My last pg, I noticed that after I gave birth, my nose really seemed outrageous. So... for some (at least one- me!) it lingers after giving birth, maybe even gets worse temporarily before disappearing. Unusual.......
#11 of 12 Old 02-01-2005, 10:18 AM

Too funny to see this post! I totally have pregnant-nose. I noticed it a couple of weeks ago, but it doesn't stay that way ALL the time. It's so weird - one day it'll be swollen, and the next it looks normal. It's crazy what our bodies do during this time!

Hmm... wonder if the girl thing is true! (we don't know what we're having)

WAHMama to Allen (2-10-05) and Alexa (6-27-08)
#12 of 12 Old 02-01-2005, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Dh says mine didn't. I don't know. I know one woman who really did. I think that my whole face changes and looks not as attractive, though.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page