yeast infection... would they let me deliver vaginally? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-02-2005, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, I'm only 36 weeks, 2 days and probably fretting for nothing but I started using Monistat 7 Monday for a yeast infection. If I went into labor would they let me deliver naturally? There'd be cream in there?
Sorry if this is TMI... didn't feel like calling the OB to ask such a silly question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2005, 02:01 PM

you probably would be fine to deliver.....

you can try to knock it out faster by eating yogurt and kefir and avoiding sugar. HTH

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

AVOIDING SUGAR?!! :

Just kidding. I know that helps but wow, is it hard for me to do.
Yogurt and Kefir... no problem.
but since I've already started the monistat I'm mostly concerned that there would be some kind of no-no associated with baby coming through the birth canal and running into the Monistat left from the previous treatment. would they force me to have a c-section? anyone know?
Old 02-02-2005, 02:22 PM

I can't imagine that after your wanter breaking and hours of your body pushing all fluids it can OUT that there would be any cream remaining.

Good luck with your birth!

Old 02-02-2005, 04:44 PM

In addition to watching your sugar (hard, I know) I would suggest using acidolpholus supplment. This will help with the over-abundance of yeast in your system. You can take capsules whole, or add it to your food, or just mix with water & take.
Just thought I would share.

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
Old 02-02-2005, 05:01 PM

There would be no issue with vaginal delivery with the cream in there.
As the other poster said, it would be long flushed out before any baby came along that way.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:33 PM

Nah, I had one with my last pregnancy around 37 weeks. The NP who worked at my OB's office prescribed cream for me but said it was up to me whether I wanted to use it or not, it was mainly for my comfort with symptoms as yeast infections are quite common in late pregnancy. There is so much fluid going through the area in labor that I can't imagine it would be a concern. Plus, if you go to a hospital the vaginal opening may be cleaned just prior to delivery.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Probiotic, probiotic, probiotic and grape fruit seed extract...

I have never had a baby after yeast...BUT I had a yeast infection so bad early in this pg that my midwife very seriously thought I had herpes because the lesions were so bad from the yeast. She said she had NEVER seen yeast do what it did to me. I couldn't walk. Im trying to be honest here I hope its not TMI. We even began treatment for herpes until the cultures came back a bug HUGE no for herpes and a huge YES for yeast. Of course it was two weeks of absolute HELL for me and my husband baffled thinking how in the HELL I contracted herpes of all things. Anyway long story short I did begin a regimin of probiotic and grape fruit seed extract that worked absolute wonders. Just my 2 cents, hope it might be helpful.

Jennie
Middle Mamma
Old 02-03-2005, 02:48 AM

Middlemama,
Wow, that must have been something, having the OB say you had herpes!! That's cause for BIG trouble at home I would imagine!!!
This probiotic and grape fruit seed extract plan.... How does it work? I mean, what do you do?
I'm not sure if I've ever had a yeast infection before. Sometimes it seems like I might have one because I have some of the symptoms, but then i wash frequently & "air out" often over the course of a few days, and it goes away.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
littlebeagle:

I was gonna save you all the gory details lol..but since you asked... :LOL

Ok LONG story: I had a mild yeats problem for well over a year but I had no idea that is what it was. I was getting FREQUENT infections but thinking I was taking care of it naturally I would use vinager and water and get it to "go away", or so I thought. It was NOT going away I was just abating it. DH and I had HUGE problems with intercourse because it hurt me so badly. We thought all kinds of things. TRIED all kinds of things, NEVER imagined I had a yeast infection for THAT long. We tried lubricants, I saw a shrink, thinking it was some kind of remnants form abuse as a child, we tried every position known to man. I was in so much pain after 5 minutes we always had to stop. I would cry and cry. Then about 12 weeks into this pg the yeast peaked and went CRAZY causing the results in my pp. I learned so much about yeast I NEVER knew. Until I took 2 weeks of diflucan and started immediatly on the GFS and probiotic i had NO IDEA how unhealthy all my parts "down there" were. Every one in my family is diabetic BUT my brother and I. I have learned that in familys where diabetes is common there is a natural inability to fight off yeast with your natural flora. I have NEVER had a PAP where they didn't say "your're kinda yeast but no biggie." Anyway, All that to say I feel like a new woman! I am telling you the whole ordeal left me dumbfounded as to how 'UNHEALTHY" you can be and not know it. Hubby and I are having great sex again and its pain free!! imagine. The whole herpes ordeal was horrible but worth the end result, and JFTR, it was my midwife who diagnosed, not an OB, and she was so sure that that was what it was she wasn't going to culture it, I begged for the test to be sure. THANK GOD I DID. I also believe that douching is what caused my problem. I was an avid doucher before the pg once or twice a week with vinager. I have since learned how BAD that is for a woman. I had NO IDEA, my mom taught me to do it. SO when I quit douching because of being pg I think the yeastthe binager was killing off or whatever just thrived and thrived so fast ....Of course this is all MY unprofessional theory Im no scientist. ok your question what do I take? I take GSE tablets made by nutribiotic they are 125 mg each and I take two each day. I take a probiotic (in refrigerated part of health food store) it has all kinds of "ophiluses" including acidophilus plus several more, and they are 350 mg each and I take two of those a day as well. Honestly I have never felt better...I cannot stress enought how sick I was and did not know it. This whole experience kind of made me start to rethink a lot of things in our life, eating etc, and so we are introducing changes toward the healthier and more natural way of things slowly for our family. Anyway..I talk too much, hope that answered your ?

Jennie
Middle Mamma
Old 02-03-2005, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Holy smokes middlemama! I'm so glad you've got everything under control and feeling good now.
Thank you everyone for the info. I have an acidolpholus supplement but I was a little nervous taking it while pregnant because it gives the standard "if you are pregnant... " warning on it. I didn't want to ask my OB because they're not into that kind of thing. Maybe I'll take a low dose on top of the monistat, which, by the way is working wonders.
Geez, some of the things that women have to go through!
Old 02-03-2005, 01:32 PM

Probiotics are totally fine while pregnant. I had a horrible yeast infection at the end of my last pregnancy. Because of this, my midwife this time told me to start taking probiotics now as a preventative measure (I'm 24 weeks). She told me to take 3 capsules 2x/day. When I was pregnant last time and already had a yeast infection, my midwife told me to take 3 capsules 3x/day.

In addition to eating yogurt, it's also a good idea to put yogurt in your vagina. (Maybe do this at different intervals from your cream so you're not drenched!) Let the yogurt warm to room temp. so it doesn't make you scream. Then just put a tablespoon of it in there a few times a day. Also, this sounds gross, but when you're in the shower, you can actually reach in there with your finger and "scoop out" as much yeast as you can.

I still had my yeast infection when I delivered (it was a very persistent infection), and I delivered at home just fine. In fact the infection went away after baby was born.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mama Lori,
I've done the yogurt in the vagina thing before. My dh thought that whole idea was fascinating for some reason. but as you mentioned, it was pretty messy. Maybe I'll start doing that once the monistat is gone just as a preventive measure. And good to know about the Probiotics too.
If you deliver when you still have a yeast infection does the baby risk getting it? In the form of thrush or anything?
Old 02-03-2005, 01:55 PM

threads with yeast in the title get my attention .... I'm not a scientist or medical expert but I did battle yeast on my breasts after my dd was born. Yeast loves the warm, moist, milky environment that breastfeeding provides. So.... I would think that if you are out of balance with regard to yeast before you start nursing, you might want to be on the lookout for signs of yeast overgrowth on you and in your babe (thrush). Especially if they give you or your babe abx for some reason at delivery (this is what happened to me and dd).

Oh, and I second the grapefruit seed extract and probiotics recommendation. I also took garlic -- that has natural yeast killing properties.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:57 PM

artgirl - yeah the yogurt can be pretty messy, but you can wear a pad and that helps. I don't know whether having a vaginal yeast infection at birth puts the baby at risk for thrush - I would've thought it would - but my baby never got any signs of thrush or yeast in any form. After birth it just went away.

User Tag List