Due Nov/Dec 2002 (part 4) - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-11-2002, 05:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hang in there, Amy!! That's how it usually starts.....a general crampiness that starts to form a pattern. Lilyka.....you didn't get any worse than crampy-feeling til you had to push?? That's wonderful!! OHh....and I would NOT be letting them stick any more needles into my baby. My goodness...how many times has she given them blood now??? Bilirubin is normally high for a newborn......yikes, c'mon....its perfectly normal. Its not a big deal. I think you have every right to be a protective mama and say enough is enough! Greenfaeriedog.....I am right there with ya on interventions. I've heard of too many membrane "massages" becoming amniotomies "accidentally." I was due yesterday.....so today was my official first day "overdue." Dontcha love that word......like you're an overstuffed turkey someone forgot to take out of the oven....hee hee I took a look at your pix.....you've got a gorgeous pup there!! I think I asked this before, don't know if you responded.....but is he following you around, everywhere?? Kinda like guarding you?? Our boxer (9 months old) has been up my butt continuously for about 4 days now. Even laying outside the bathroom door while I go!!

Take care all.....will be reporting in when there is "something" to report!

Lisa

Well, I should run......take care all!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2002, 10:58 AM

the crampiness seems to have diminished somewhat. I had a couple of good contractions last night, but things are relatively quiet this AM.

I am going to try to do some big walking today and see if that helps.

Hello everyone who is still hanging around like me!!!

Amy
Old 12-11-2002, 11:22 AM

Today is the 11th, right? So, I'm 3 days from my 14th EDD. I have woken up now for about 3 or 4 nights in the last 3 weeks with contractions. Once for 3 1/2 hours and the other times just general crampiness with mild contractions throughout the night.

Usually a shower ends it and I go back to bed. I'm loving the hot showers, but it wreaks havoc on my dry skin when I get out. I've taken over my 'soon-to-be-born-babe's' supply of Baby Bee Apricot Baby Oil!

I am frustrated though . . . figured with all I've been feeling I'd be holding my li'l guy by now. Last night I got so little sleep that I kept my Kindergartener home today so I could sleep in. How's that for lazy. AND . . . I'm letting the VCR babysit her and her 29 month old sister while they watch SPIRIT (y'know, the horse). I swear I'm doing things I said I'd never do, but I'm wiped out!!!

I haven't stopped MOVING - except at night, so I know I don't need to get out and about. Some men at church keep chiding my husband that he needs to get me in the minivan and take me over speed-bumps. *men*

So, that is my update . . . now that Holly and Beth over at Diapering have had their babies I'm hanging in there and praying for my little delight too!

BTW, this is the first time I've even KNOWN to do things naturally. So, I'm not even always sure (even after two kids) what it is going to really 'feel' like when I AM in labor. I have never gotten this far in my pregnancy, if you can believe that. Plus, with it being the 3rd, I'm experiencing all the discomforts from that darn Relaxin hormone (which by the way, is inappropriately named).

Anyway, I have not allowed my midwife to check me for dilation or effacement and she isn't interestd in an NST until I've passed my due date by a week or more. I'm measuring fine and all else seems to be on track - no 'massages' for this momma - it only irritates the crap out of my cervix for 24 to 48 hours and I already have irritation.

Oh, and one last thing - I know the thread is long. My midwife gave me the most awesome 'belly' massage last Friday. I nearly fell asleep to her touch and Kenny (my li'l guy) kept rolling into her hands. It was so soothing!
Old 12-11-2002, 08:37 PM

I don't really know what to expect as far as natural goes either!

I never got past the general crampiness last time before I was induced.

They are doing all the tests this time because of the GD. Last time I had no tests or anything at this point in my pregnancy. In fact I never has a NST last time, just an ultrasound at the end to check my fluid levels.

I want to go into labor BAD though.

Amy
Old 12-11-2002, 09:18 PM

Lisa, my dog is my shadow, but she always has been. I haven't noticed any change in her behavior since I got pregnant. I'm not even sure she realizes what's in the belly, even though it's kicked her a few times. I'm NOT looking forward to her reaction to not being my "baby" anymore. On one hand, she loves kids and always behaves around them, but on the other, she's even resentful of my relationship with my husband, and she was his before she was mine! I have no experience with Boxers, but they seem like lovely dogs. I don't envy you having a puppy though! My dog's a 14-year-old Siberian Husky. I don't think I'll over own a Sibe again, and NEVER a Sibe puppy. But I do have my fingers crossed that this baby will be an animal lover like its momma.

I'm starting to wonder if I'll know what labor's like... Kind of silly, I know.

Meg
Old 12-12-2002, 02:04 AM

um. you'll know what it is when it's here! i wondered even after two natural labors and felt silly when the third started. relax as much as you can during contractions, they are easier to handle when you are relaxed, low note moans help too. let it ebb through you like ocean waves and surrender. your baby will be here soon.

i want to thank y'all for hanging in there, my sil is getting induced in the morning, her due date is the 26th. inductions are commonly done around here for no reason but impatience, she has never felt labor and this is her third baby. i feel a little worried about her messing with mother nature in this way, feel protective over her unborn for getting her out before she's ready.
Old 12-12-2002, 05:12 AM

Casina, I hope your sister's induction goes well. The idea of "scheduling" a birth is quite prominent in my family.

On a related but not connected topic, I've heard that it's better for a baby to experience a "trial of labor" before interventions such as a c/s take place. Does anyone know if this is true? And if so, why? Or if not, why not?
Old 12-12-2002, 10:46 AM

trial of labor, do you mean that labor should start on its own?
Old 12-12-2002, 03:32 PM

Yes, I *think* that's what it means.

Two days overdue now. Not a sign of impending labor. But the phone calls from friends and family have increased to every 5 minutes. Is it any wonder I'm spending so much more time online?

I was bored yesterday so I tried some nipple stimulation to see what that would do. It did bring on a long line of Braxton Hicks, but nothing lasting or painful.
My nipples could only take it for 10 minutes, tho, and a day later these kittens still hurt like !

Lisa, are you still overdue as well? Anyone else still hanging out with me?
Old 12-12-2002, 03:42 PM

I'm hanging out with you. I am due on the 14th, but have been miserable since the 35th week. :LOL Seriously though, these last two weeks have been sleepless with a lot of night-time CX that peeter-off to nothing.

VERY FRUSTRATING as two of my diapering forum mommas have already had their precious bundles and mine doesn't seem to want to do anything but press on that darn Ferguson nerve or whatever its called.
Old 12-12-2002, 04:04 PM

Yupper.......I am still here also. Thanks, Casina, for taking the time to check in with us when you've got little Ruby to take care of, the boys, and not feeling well on top of that. I went to a Mamaworks meeting on Tuesday (group of like-minded women here in Seattle)....and we had a guest speaker. The topic was "Natural Remedies for Winter Illnesses." I had to leave 1/2 hour before it was over (midwife app't)...but it was excellent. Our speaker was a homeopath & an herbalist and gave a lot of good info on things you can do at home. She also spoke on the energy surrounding an illness vs. the energy of being well. Energy, does, indeed, get stuck; and where its stuck is where you'll be experiencing symptoms. Anyway....could talk about that all day.... Here are a couple easy things to try if you're blocked somewhere: Use thyme oil (in a carrier oil) for upper respiratory problems; fry a couple onions in olive oil, just to take the sting out of them. Let them cool, mash them up and make a poultice out of them. Put them on your skin and let there overnight. Try contrast hydrotherapy: heat or warmth on an area, then cold. The ratio is 3:1 (meaning, for ever 1 unit of cold, you need 3 of heat; i.e. 1.5 minutes of heat to 30 seconds of cold). the idea is that by alternating cold and hot....you bring fresh blood (white blood cells) to an area. Sometimes just the fluid movement will get energy unblocked and be enough stimulant for your immune system to kick the illness. Ahh, I'm wayyy off-topic.....

Greenfaeriedog.....we love our boxer, even though he's technically still a puppy. He's not overly rambunctious and is very protective of our 22 month old; yet very tolerant of ear-pulling, being crawled and stepped on, etc. We got him when Indy was a year old and they are the best of buds.

Was gonna write more, but my little guy needs some attention...

Take care all......

Lisa

PS...Heather, I just read your last post. Maybe you should change his name from "Kenny" to "Ferguson!!" Just imagine...you could call him Fergie!! Smile, darlin'....it won't be long yet....I promise!!!
Old 12-12-2002, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yes it is better that a baby experiance a trial of labor before a c-sec (unless of course it is a true emergancy). Even if the labor is induced a few contractions will help the baby prepare to be born. Kinda like a warning and little warm up. A baby goes through a lot of physical changes while being born. Stuff gets squeezed out, there is a hole in the heart that closes withint a few hours of labor starting and some other things ( I know there are some involving the lungs). even if the contractions are stimulated it can set off the triggers to start everything going for labor. It must be quite shocking to a little babe to be going about thier business and suddenly be grabbed by a hand and plunked into the world. Give the poor kid a little warning.

I just want to go on record that when my midwife accidently broke my water it truely was an accident. She had just barely touched it. She felt really bad about it. I am not familiar with "massaging the bag of waters". is this anything other than a mask for trying to break them?

Don't underestimate what all these braxton hicks contractins and crappiness may be doing. You never know how far you may be or just how prepared your uterus may be getting.

Ava is done giving blood (OK she is done getting poked - she was done giving blood a long time ago ). i insisted that her Dr. treat her and not her paper work. He was agreeable to that at least. We have another appointment in a week and that will be our last with that Dr. he is the one my midwife regularly recommends (they have an agreement abuot some things like early discharge, respecting opinions and no interventions) and I will be sure to let her know that he relys so heavily on blood work when a little peek at the baby is all that is really nessecary. he isn't her ped (who you can't get into to save your life unless you have connections ) just one she recommends because he doesn't mind taking patients for just the newborn part. (due to competitiveness between hospitals people can't always recieve the best care from Dr. the like : )

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 12-12-2002, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by spyiispy
PS...Heather, I just read your last post. Maybe you should change his name from "Kenny" to "Ferguson!!" Just imagine...you could call him Fergie!! Smile, darlin'....it won't be long yet....I promise!!!
Right! Well, I met Fergie at a polo match once in Houston, TX and let me tell ya . . . she was no charmer. HA! So, maybe it is appropriate!

Okay, I'm going to go and convince myself that all these CXs are moving me forward slowly, but surely! Thanks for the encouragement ladies!
Old 12-12-2002, 07:03 PM

Wow, Sandra.....your bag of waters must've been almost ready to break anyway! It sounds like your midwife was very respectful of your body and her reaction would've comforted me. When I went into deliver Indy....I was already at 6 cm. My midwife ask me if she could break my waters and I let her. It took quite a few tries with that little hook-thing. She said I had the strongest amniotic sac she'd ever seen; like leather.

Heather...here's an affirmation (from unassistedbirth.com) to repeat to yourself on tough days:

**I believe I am a flower opening my petals to the warm rays of the sun**

1. My body is designed to give birth naturally.

2. I trust my body to do what it is supposed to do.

3. I trust the Lord to watch over me and the baby and keep us safe.

4. I will have the birth I want.

5. I will have an easy and quick labor.

6. This is a beautiful gift from God, and I show my respect for it by surrendering to it and not interfering.

7. I belive childbirth is supposed to happen naturally and gently.

8. I am not afraid of what-if's. Whatever happens was MEANT to happen.

9. I will not let others' fears determine my reality.

10. I am a vessel for which my baby is using to enter this world. I will not let the focus of the birth be about me or my pain.

11. I will pant through my contractions, breath deeply and moan if necessary.

12. I am not ashamed of my body.

13. I am powerful and lovable.

14. I am not fighting this in any way.

15. I will deliver a healthy, beautiful baby.

I like to say these aloud, so that our little girl can hear my voice and know that I have confidence in her AND that God is watching over both of us during her development and impending birth. I also visualize/meditate on my cervix as a rose bud....tightly closed at first....but through many days of sunshine & rain (CONTRAX!!), slowly, slowly opens, bit by bit, until a beautiful flower emerges (our baby girl). I love roses and I see this baby as a Peace rose (light yellow rose, flushed with pink) because she truly has brought peace to our lives (already!). It just makes me feel better during all those contractions. Here's a picture of the peace rose:

http://www.justourpictures.com/roses/peace1.html

And here's the romantic story of the rose:

http://www.rose-2002.org/peace.html

Alrighty....gotta get the munchkin to bed...

Lisa
Old 12-12-2002, 07:14 PM

Lisa, thank you . . . I'm cutting and pasting that into WORD to print out. I need something to repeat to myself in those late hours when my poor attitude takes over and I begin to feel as if this will NEVER happen.

I truly do not want any intervention and love my midwife for respecting me and not instilling any fear in or around the situation. My husband has been supportive as well - and as long as I stay away from everyone else *ha*ha* I do well on keeping away from negative comments like, "Well you are going to induce soon then aren't you?" Ignorance . . . ugggh.

From the book Easing Labor Pain, I always think of this large wine jug moving into the shape of a mayonnaise jar (thin, slender passage to a wide open rim). I'm liking your analogy much better - a bit more romantic!

I'll read the story of the Peace Rose after I put my munchkins down later - then I'll have 'peace' to actually think through it!
Old 12-13-2002, 12:40 AM

Well girls.....don't know if it was the sex, the blue cohosh or the mad bout of cleaning I did today....but things are definitely stirring!! Got some uncomfortable cramping that's increased in severity over the day. Don't think anything's happening in the next couple hours.....but, I'm hoping!

Just wanted to let y'all know....

Lisa

PS...I could be totally off-base. Lets hope not.
Old 12-13-2002, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter

That's how it went for me. Took some herbs, had some sex, started cleaning like a lunatic and bam! Crampy contractions . Hmmm, maybe I should keep taking those herbs. Our house was really clean . . .

Yes, my water was about to break. She said it was bulging out. I felt it snap. That was wierd. I said earlier (right after I got pregnant) somehting about I would rather have a hospital birth with my midwife than a home birth with a Dr. and someone thought I was crazy. They hadn't met my midwife. .

Since everyone else is posting affermations I thought i would leave you ladies with this tonight. It was supposed to go with me to the labor room but since we never made it, ta know .

Fear Not the time is coming
Fear not your bones are strong
fear not help is near by
fear not God is near
Fear not the baby is at the door
fear not he will live to bring you honor
fear not the hands of the midwife are clever
fear not the earth is beneath you
fear not little mother
fear not mother of us all.

That is from The Red Tent. If you haven't read it yet, it is perfect for passing the time until your baby comes

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 12-13-2002, 03:58 AM

lisa i found the energy being stuck and related info very interesting, thank you for putting it down.

your babies will come out. i waited for clay whose edd was dec 13 and he came out jan 6 2001. by then i was convinced i would be pregnant for an additional year, i was so stumped that the year had changed and no baby yet. they will come out!
Old 12-13-2002, 06:09 AM

Lisa . . . oh, I hope it is time for you!!!
DO keep us posted!
Old 12-13-2002, 08:29 AM

I'm still here! Contracting like mad......cannot sleep for the life of me. I know I should be getting some rest in case this IS it.....but I was up the entire night before I had Indy. I think you're so hyped up on adrenaline......sleep doesn't matter much (if you have a relatively short labor). I'm not seeing any show or anything else to tell me this is it.......so don't get too excited, guys.

Casina.......telling us you went a grand total of 24 overdue with Clay is NOT comforting!! LOL!! Glad you liked the "energy" stuff...how are you feeling lately?

Well, I'm gonna TRY to get some rest. Baby girl has been awake and squirming around all day. She knows something's up too. IF I do go into labor, my sister on the East Coast (hoppytoad) will let y'all know.....

Until then.....

Lisa
Old 12-13-2002, 10:36 AM

As much as it is hard to say I am jealous for your 'labor' . . .
I AM JEALOUS FOR YOUR LABOR!!

I dooooo hope that it was to a beautiful 'end' though and that you are progressing as I type.

Hoppytoad - stay up with this ya li'l frog.

Oh, and I'm with ya Lisa, knowing I could go over until the New Year was NOT comforting either! Tee Hee :LOL
Old 12-13-2002, 10:47 AM

OH! How exciting! Maybe we will have another one today!

As for me, I passed my mucous plug and had contractions off and on all day yesterday. But things quieted down over night and here I sit. Tried a shower, walking, and some nip stim (MAN was that irritating, I could not keep it up) I don't want to do herbs as I am not under a midwife's care and my doc knows nothing about that.

So, I will wait. I am making some Buckeye candy today, to eat after the baby comes (I have the GD) and I'm going to clean and do laundry and maybe go shopping. Is it possible to shop a baby out?

Anyway, hang in there guys!

Amy
Old 12-13-2002, 10:54 AM

Amy,

What was your official date? Mine is tomorrow (as official as a due date can be anyway).

I believe it is quite possible to 'shop' a baby out. Some of my stronger contractions have come from walking about the mall. Possibly b/c it is just so darn stressful. I haven't been back since Christmas started though - once I saw they had Santa there on Nov. 6th (BEFORE THANKSGIVING) I wanted to gag!

Okay, a bit of Bill Cosby here,

Push it out . . . push it out . . . PUUUSH . . . PUUUSSHHH!!!
Old 12-13-2002, 11:06 AM

My official date is not till the 22nd!!!!

But if I don't have the baby by Wed night I will be going in to be induced.

I know you are the 14th! Tomorrow!!! I keep thinking about you.

Maybe I will hit the stores today. I have a couple things I need to pick up. I am running out of projects though. If the baby is still not here this weekend I may have to start some sewing projects again. How many diapers can one baby use again?

Oh this made me laugh!!! Thanks.

Push it out . . . push it out . . . PUUUSH . . . PUUUSSHHH!!! [/B][/QUOTE]

Amy
Old 12-13-2002, 02:20 PM

I thought it would never happen....but I finally had my baby...on Dec 2nd at 8:35pm Tristan Todd Andrew was born in water in our dining room!!! After 18hrs of labour and about 2 hrs of pushing he came fast and furious with his fist beside his face (ouch).... he is just beautiful (with a full head of hair)and loves his big brother Jack and "the boob" the best of all!! He was 8lb 14 oz and was already up to 9lb 2 oz this past Tues!!

Just wanted to send congratulations to all the new moms and easy labour vibes for those still waiting!! Waiting has got to be the hardest part...I was 9 days overdue so I know the feeling!!
Old 12-13-2002, 02:29 PM

Congratulations!!!! and baby Tristan!!!!

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
Old 12-13-2002, 02:42 PM

BEAUTIFUL!!!
Old 12-13-2002, 04:40 PM

Congratulations!

Who's next?

Amy
Old 12-13-2002, 05:06 PM

Me! Ooh . . . oooh .. . ME!!
Old 12-13-2002, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Congratulations Renee and Tristen!!!

User Tag List