Due Nov/Dec 2002 (part 4) - Page 14 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#391 of 413 Old 12-26-2002, 01:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, my day-old baby girl, Marion, has discovered her daddy's pinkie so I have a minute to post.

No UC here. I try not to get bummed out about that. Didn't get the birth I wanted, but I got the baby I wanted more than anything. (I hope I'm not letting anyone down by not sticking with a UC, I still wish my circumstances had been right for it, and think it is a valid option for the people that can pursue it).

Here's the low-down: Had early labor from noon until 11 pm on Monday. I had been getting contractions every 5 minutes for a few hours, but they were only 30 seconds long. At 11 pm I decided to stop using the tub as pain relief because I wanted to move things along. As soon as I got out the contractions started coming one on top of the other. After a little over an hour of this I was in tears because I was so thirsty but literally didn't have a spare second to sip water "in between" contractions. So DH called our doula who came over and checked me- she immediately realized I was at 8 cm and pulled her hand out, scared to death she might break the water and have the baby come right then and there. She and DH had me go to the hospital. I didn't want to go, and made that as clear as I could, but they literally carried me to the car because I was shaking too badly to stand. Got to the hospital, and each step to the birthing room was agony, what with the contractions and my sobbing that I wanted to go home. I didn't want to use the birthing room- too clinical, as "homey" as they try to make it. They said it was that or the OR. I made them drag all the equipment out into the hall before I would finally go in the birthing room. I let them check the fht with a doppler, the fhts were great, they had been the whole time (I rented a doppler) and stayed good the whole time. Let the Dr. check me and I was a 7 and *oops* my water broke. Yeah, right, like that was an accident! And it was meconium stained. No one was surprised, and now I knew I was the intervention roller coaster. So I said I was going home, and prepared to leave. DH had a talk with the Dr. and came to me crying (and he doesn't cry) that he would support me, but was scared-- apparently the Dr. had told him that 50 years ago all babies born with meconium staining died at birth, and it warranted serious intervention. I was furious with the Dr., but love my DH too much to put him in that position, so I agreed to stay. Not happy feelings though, as it meant I had to go by Dr.'s rules or she wouldn't touch me. This means the baby would be suctioned on the perineum, cord clamped immediately, taken to warming bed, etc. We went through the whole list of Drs. in town and knew no one else would take us either. So, I tried to resolve me feelings and just get through with this as quickly as possible: it was 2 am and my goal was to be home before dawn. But you know my labor slowed at this point; didn't get less intense, I was still definitely in transition, and stayed that way until I started pushing at 4 am. Marion was born a quarter after 5. They did put her on my chest before taking her to the warming bed, so I have that memory at least. Once on the warming bed they intubated and sucked a couple vials of pea soup from her lungs. So, yes, that would have been quite dangerous at home, I think even with a midwife. So it was probably for the best that she was born at the hospital, but I think I will always be angry at the treatment we received that WAS NOT NEEDED, KWIM? And their attitudes were very rude. DH says I got them back though, because when they told me to push the placenta out, I gave it my all and splattered everone within a 2' radius with blood and gore and piss. YAY for me! We ended up staying at the hospital until 6pm yesterday, but at least DH got some sleep-- I still can't stop staring at my baby. So, bummer, I had an icky hospital birth, but I got my perfect baby. She's a ball, but it's a cruel joke to have to deal with a newborn and physical postpartum issues at the same time. I have a 1st degree laceration that I wouldn't even let the Dr. stitch. The tear was her fault, she forcefully yanked DD out as soon as she got her hands on her, and DD has some pretty big shoulders, even for being 8 lbs, 13 & some oz (and 20.5 inches).

Moral of the story: DH isn't getting any sex ever again unless he promises that our next baby will be born at home.

Love, Meg and baby Marion
#392 of 413 Old 12-26-2002, 03:14 AM

i have no energy left but to laugh at the last statement, meg, you did wonderfully in the face of adversity, congratulations to you !
love casina
#393 of 413 Old 12-26-2002, 11:24 AM

GreenFaire - I am sorry it was not picture perfect birth - but you have baby! Mine still hasnt come - wish she would get here - I am awfully uncomfortable. Lots of good wishes and happy baby thoughts - Justine
#394 of 413 Old 12-26-2002, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Congratulations Meg and Marion!!

Way to hold your ground in a less than ideal situation. I know it wasn't the birth you wanted but you held it together better than I would have

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#395 of 413 Old 12-26-2002, 04:01 PM

Oh Meg, we're not disappointed in you!! What a strong, courageous woman you are to insist on your rights when you're in the throes of labor! My hats off to you...you did fabulously

She's HERE!!!!!!! Yayyyyyy!!!!!

Lisa

PS...What's her middle name. I like Marion. I almost considered Mariel for our little girl.

PPS....How's your doggy doing with her??

Lisa
#396 of 413 Old 12-27-2002, 04:42 PM

I've been so looking forward to posting in the baby section, but now that I can, I don't know that I can bring myself to do it. And I SOO don't have time to post in two places!

Casina, I hadn't realized what a time you'd been having! You poor thing, and to continue to offer kind words of support to me-- you must be a great mother.

Mari is quite jaundiced. Pretty sly of karma to saddle me, a Dr.-hater, with a meconium- and billirubin-filled baby. But children are uniquely themselves, despite their parents, right? So were back to the hospital today and they'll probably prick her. But I'm honestly okay with that, I think her condition warrants it. I have no qualms about seeing a Dr. when there's a medical problem, but what I don't trust is that Drs. are trained to see people as sick, and I think that clouds their judgement when it comes to those of us that are healthy.

To make up for being two weeks late for delivery, my body has brought my milk in in record time. Of course that totally conicides with having a baby too lethargic to effectively suckle. Ouch-ies!

I hope everyone who has a baby in their arms is loving them right now, and I hope everyone who has a baby in their bellies is savoring these last few days closeness.
#397 of 413 Old 12-28-2002, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

I just wanted to let you know befor they convince you to do billy ligts that breastfed babies ranges for nomal are about 4 whatevers higher for BF babies than formula fed babies (reg for fprmula is like 14 and for BF 18) and high warrenting treatment is somewhere around 20-30. ava was quite yellow but still only about 14. Althoug there probably isn't a whole lot of bright sunlight in your neck of the woods hey. That was our problem. we just couldn't find a sunray to blast the billiruben out with. If you do need to treat her just hang out in the lights with her. She will get just as much of the lights with you hjolding and nursing her as she will is she is laying ni the isolet. They can aim the lights at the both of you and shine warming laps on you to keep everyone toasty.

Also I think being overdue does have something to do with mikl coming in faster. With my second who was 2 weeks over my milk was in in about 24 hours. It was insane.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#398 of 413 Old 12-28-2002, 10:59 PM

Thanks for the info lilyka. I didn't know about the discrepancy between ff and bf babies. I had decided that we wouldn't do anything unless it was over 20. But it never evevn came to that! Just as I was starting to really worry, Marion made a sudden turn around. I knew she was feeling better, and even the doc said she looked great.

My dog is doing well with the baby. Not happy, but accepting. I think things will only get better with time. But I'm not sure Teeka will ever accept Marion the way your boxer has taken to Esme, Lisa. Wow!! What a picture that was!

So what are the pregnant mommies doing these days? Looking back on it, I'm not sure what got me to finally go into labor. Maybe it was just about time. Maybe it was the evening primrose oil? dunno

Meg
#399 of 413 Old 12-29-2002, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

the funny thing is, as much as I hated being pregnant, when I see a pregnant women I get all sentimental and miss being pregnant. I just want to go up and rub thier bellies and tell them how great pregnancy and birth and newborns are I am such a sap sometimes.

I am so glad Marion is doing better.

#400 of 413 Old 12-30-2002, 12:24 AM

Well, it took us a few days but we have finally named our beautiful boy Zane Michael. I can't beleive that he is already 8 days old! Everything is going fine, although he seems to sleep all day and is up for a couple of hours in the middle of the night. Dh goes back to work tomorrow, but at least the kids don't have school for another week.
Now I just have to come up with a new user name.
Hope all is well with all of you, all of our babies are almost here...there's only a couple left right? Good birthing to you all.
J&G's mom
#401 of 413 Old 12-30-2002, 01:13 PM

hi - hope it's okay for me to jump in at this point on what is this, the 14th page?!
my due date has been changed around 3 times now, and it's ranged anywhere from christmas day to new year's, to january 12th and back to the 2nd...
originally though was the december date, so on the other bb i'm a member of i've been hanging in as a december mama. this is my 3rd baby (our 4th, including my 10yo stepdd) - our others are a 5yo ds & 21mo dd. i'm just so uncomfortable and getting impatient with all the date juggling. i know no edd is ever totally reliable, but what do you rely on when it keeps changing?!
my ultrasounds are what threw the dates so now i'm just along for the ride. according to my dr we're looking at another 8-9lb baby - dd was 8# 15. and is he ever active... neither of my other children was this painful to carry at this stage - he just keeps pushing in all the wrong places, reducing me to tears a good deal of the time, and all i want to do is enjoy the time i have left before he's born - overall i've had a wonderful pregnancy, so this is making me miserable between the pain and the waiting i'm going grumpy stir crazy and i need some community about now...
are any of the other december mamas still undelivered? how are you doing?
hugs - banana
#402 of 413 Old 01-01-2003, 02:20 PM

I finally had my baby 10 days late and 36 hours of back labor later on Dec 27th. She was 7 lbs 4 oz and we are doing well. We left the hospital 6 hours later. I will try to post the whole story later but the short version is 36 hours of back labor in and out of pool but I managed to not get an epidural. I did have a little staydol twice to get some sleep but I was fully aware for all 3 hours of pushing. No tears or stiches! She's nursing like a champ. Photos at http://www.jetnetlink.com/georgia_rose.htm

Amy Branger
#403 of 413 Old 01-01-2003, 04:27 PM

Congrats Amy!!! Way to go...wow, 36 hours of back labor. Yikes! Thanks for the pix....love that hat!!

Just wanted to see how our still pregnant mamas are doing. Maybe we need to add a third month to our thread, since its January now. Are there any more mamas besides banana that is still "patiently" waiting for their bambino??

Just a little update on us....Indy is finally coming around. He says "bay-bee" and "Emm-mee" and no more sobbing and crying whenever Esme cries. Esme sleeps about 4-5 hours at a time at night, which gives me a decent chunk of sleep. Today, Kelly got up with Indy and Esme and I got to sleep til 10:00 AM!! Ahhhh, heavenly! Take care all.....

Lisa
#404 of 413 Old 01-01-2003, 05:13 PM

Wow, Amy, she's beautiful! You'll pardon me if I still think my baby is the cutest in the world, but from the pics of the other Nov/Dec/now Jan babies, I can see Marion's got some stiff competition! (I managed to get away without back labor, but I'm so-o-o jealous that you don't have any tears.)

Good luck to all the mamas still waiting. I've taken to wearing Mar in the New Native sling (she loves it, but being on my feet that long is killing me [damn tear!]). It makes me so emotional to see her curl up and start sucking away on her wrists, doing all the little tiny movements that I remember so well from our first 9 months together...

Meg and Marion
#405 of 413 Old 01-01-2003, 05:30 PM

Baby Aya has arrived! It was a long journey but worth the wait.

My labor was 37 and half hours long, at the 27th hourI was still only 3 cm and 70% effaced. I broke down and got the epi - I am a little sad about that but I still feel I tried my best.

She is gorgeous, a little moving peanut, I am in love. Thanks for all the kind words and support. Happy new year to everyone!

Justine
#406 of 413 Old 01-02-2003, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Wow justine!! 37 and a half hours. I am seriously impressed. I would have gotten the epidural long before you did.

Congratulations Amy and Justine on the arrival of your new babies.

Organicbanana - if you are the last one we will stay here just for you Here is hoping you go soon though

#407 of 413 Old 01-03-2003, 12:24 PM

lilyka - thanks so much! i can use some encouragement...
dr's appt. yesterday and noooooooothing is happening. no dilation, no engagement, he's just floating around in there still - i'm measuring 39 1/2 cm and my belly is so stretched it's purple! ow... carrying all up front too, so i look like i swallowed a whole watermelon sideways
today is my last day of work (i'm a sahm & child care provider - so i guess that's not entirely true - it's just my last day of providing care for other people's children - my work is never done )
so that's a relief. just playing the waiting game and hoping this babe doesn't get too much bigger before i deliver or i'm going to need something to prop my belly with!
it's so nice to read other mamas' delivery announcements - so many sweet new babies...
-b
#408 of 413 Old 01-03-2003, 01:01 PM

Oh banana I feeelll your pain. My belly was streched so tight i swore you could use it like a congo drum.

I dont know far overdue you are (if at all). I was post due and supplemented with evening primrose - you can never be quite sure - but 2 days after taking it - I went into labor - I dont know if it was my time or if the supplement did its job. Probably a combo of both I imagine.

Keep your chin and belly up - here's to a sweet and speedy delivery!
Best - Justine
#409 of 413 Old 01-07-2003, 02:30 AM - Thread Starter

just checking in. How are you banana? I was hoping to see your birth announcement here today. SOon I am sure. Enjoy these last few days of pregnancy.

I was thinking the other day, A while back I posted about a dream I had. in my dream I gave birth to a son in a Dr. office and everyone was so amazed that i had actually had a boy and everytime someone saw him they laughed out loud because they were so amazed I had a boy. iI assumed the part of this dream most likely to come true was the part about having a boy. Kind wierd the way the part that came true was me having a baby in the Dr.s office Guess I was wrong about what all the laughing was about. hehe

#410 of 413 Old 01-09-2003, 04:25 AM

Banana!! Are you still out there, waiting? Hoping to hear good news soon.

Lisa
#411 of 413 Old 01-12-2003, 12:01 AM

i'm VERY late sharing this, but finally have internet at home, so can add my little announcement to this thread. zoe jasmine was born sunday, december 8, my edd was december 25. she's wonderful, big brother is doing amazingly well, adores her. here's an abbreviated little birth story (ya know how it is, babies who nurse every half our, that's her gig in the evening, so there is no time for long versions of ANYTHING....it's crazy how life with a newborn is...i just went to get up and realized i hadn't managed to button my pants from when i went to the bathroom an hour ago....i had forgotten about the complete lack of ability to focus on one's self that you get postpartum So here's my story: I was so not expecting to go early, had a normal saturday, no symptoms other than that i was a bit pissy in attitude all day, and didn't have any patience for 3 year old ds, but that was par for the course once my 9th month hit. went to breakfast with a friend, managed to take a nap with ds, and was expecting to go to bed early, when all of the sudden i was squatted down helping ds go to the bathroom, and thought i was leaking pee, but the pee didn't stop, and i thought good god, my water's broken. it broke super late with ds, so i'd never experienced it before, and wasn't convinced it had happened for several hours. called my doula and she said some women just kinda leak, so try to get sleep, call her if contractions started. they started slowly but surely, couldn't sleep, but rested in bed until like 5:00, called my mom and she started driving up (lives 4 hours away). at this point, my most surprising postpartum anxiety started to manifest itself...as i lay in bed next to ds, all i could do was bury my face in his hair and cry (thank god he's a sound sleeper!) because i was so sad that he wouldn't be my baby anymore in the same way. i was so sad for a week after zoe was born remembering what a wonderul baby ds was and missing all of that, yet feeling insane to be thinking this since he's an equally wonderful 3 year old, and now i have this wonderful perfect baby girl, but i digress, back to the birth... my mom arrives around 7:00, as does my sister's family, who are to take care of ds. we head to the hospital by the time contractions are super strong, doula meets us there. i'm tortured filling out paperwork and checking in, such bullshit making laboring women "check in" and sign documents, total crap, but relatively quick. they check me, i'm 5 cm, and feeling bummed about that because i was 3 for weeks and somehow thought i would have progressed more. in the time between arriving at the hospital and getting to my room, i've totally lost faith in my intention to go drug free, and start asking about epidurals. thank goddess for my doula, as soon as she arrived, i calmed down, stopped my panic attack, and got back into the flow of things. labored standing leaning against dh, and then spent probably about an hour in the big birthing tub thing, they checked me, i was 8, i started getting out of the tub, and was 10 and pushing right away. i had had an epidural with ds, so had never felt the "urge to push", man did that surprise me. they tried to get me to breathe through a couple of contractions and not push, SO not an option. she was out in 3 contractions, amazing. compared to my 17 hour labor with 3 hours pushing, epidural (that resulted in a spinal headache), vacuum, etc., zoe was about 4 hours active labor, pushed her out so quickly, and barely tore compared to 3rd degree episiotomy with ds 3 years ago. such a different experience, i felt fine and was walking around later that day. zoe was handed to me as soon as she was out, and stayed right there for over an hour, nursed as soon as she was put to breast, about 3 minutes after she was born (although i thought this was so cool and left her on the same one for an hour and ended up with a mutilated nipple that resulted in a breast infection and total sickness...). gotta go, baby calls. i can't say enough wonderful things about doulas, in the middle of the labor i told mine i loved her, she chuckled and said a client had never said that before, but i so did! she is the sole reason i was able to have the outcome i had...i mean, i guess i'll give myself a little credit for going med free, but she was so wonderful, so calming, she gave me the confidence i needed to pull it all off. ok, so i said this would be abbreviated, and it's a novel, but now i DO really need to go! best wishes to all of you, see you on thenewborn page!
maren and zoe
#412 of 413 Old 01-12-2003, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter

Congratulations!! What a beautiful birth story. What is it with these little Christmas babies coming early. (thank goodness ). I was due on the 25th also and had Ava on the 4th. I am so glad you had the birth you desired.

#413 of 413 Old 01-12-2003, 01:29 AM - Thread Starter

Organicbanana had her baby!!

Is there anyone still holding out? Hey, here is wierd thought. In about 4-8 weeks, next years Nov/Dec mamas will find out they are pregnant

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page