How come no one tells you.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-15-2005, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
how to shave your legs when your 9 months pregnant? Ok, so this is not a vanity issue really! I had already decided to go au naturale when my belly just got too big and in the way but it is cold here in Finland and I wear pants or tights under my skirt and long pokey leg hairs get itchy and annoying. I had to shave this morning or I would go insane but good grief was that a challenge. I just sat there on my little shower stool staring longingly at my ankles wondering how would I ever reach down there with my razor! I managed, but only just, and ended up out of breath, red in the face and more than just a little annoyed! :LOL Or am I the only nerd who hasn't figured out how to do this amazing feat of acrobatics with ease?

Libbie-
a gargoylemom hoping the gargoylebabe makes it's appearance soon!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2005, 11:46 AM

Make your partner do it!

=)

hh
Old 02-15-2005, 11:55 AM

You sit on the crapper with your feet up on the edge of the tub/shower stool and let yer belly hang down between your legs while you lean over.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:12 PM

It's where I give up and get a dipilatory. I know that's most mamas least favorite way to do it, but it was sooo much easier than trying to shave with dd.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:20 PM

This thread cracks me up!!!

:

I thought I was the only one who couldn't reach!!!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 02-15-2005, 06:46 PM

I put a little lightweight plastic stepstool in the shower for just that purpose!

Now shaving my bikini line is a different matter altogether! When I was very pg with DS, it was summertime, so we were still going swimming at the IL's every weekend. The last few weeks DH had to shave my bikini line so I wouldn't have a jungle hanging out of my bathing suit!

Thank goodness it's February, so I don't have to worry about swimming this time around!
Old 02-15-2005, 07:21 PM

I second the "have your partner" shave your legs thing. As for the bikini area, I always shave that pretty close, so when I was big pregnant last time, i just shaved it ALL off. Bare as the baby! LOL!!

Homeschooling mama to 3 Italian babies. homeschool.gif  Due with #4 on Sept. 28! Planning a rockin' Homebirth. homebirth.jpg

Old 02-15-2005, 08:01 PM

It's not anywhere NEAR as painful as you would think and it's usually a nice, pampering experience if you go to a spa! Worth the treatment!

ex-Californian, making my way on the East Coast with DS (10), DS (6) and WAHDH. Former extended BF'er, co-sleeper, and baby-wearer. Remembering how to garden.

Old 02-15-2005, 11:38 PM

What i do to get to my ankles is sit down and put my ankle on my other knee. I wish i could afford to get waxed from the belly down when needed but it just isn't in our budget...nor do i think it is available anywhere around here.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:19 AM

I would sit on a chair. Lift my leg up to something almost as high as my seat(and I mean lift-using my arms to pull it up :LOL ). Lean forward, shoving huge belly to the inside of my leg, so it was hanging mid-air in front of my crotch. Shave ankles/calves/shins. Sit up a little straighter to get knees. Do other leg the same way. My problem was my thighs and bikini line. I was so big in the middle I couldn't see what I was doing or really reach very well. So I did those standing up in the shower and just kind of did it blind and hoped for the best. Figured anyone who made any comment to a hugely pregnant woman about her hairy legs was just asking to be decked anyway.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:36 AM

I put my foot on the side of the tub, push my tummy to the inside of the leg and bend over. I was able to shave about 90% of my legs today.

Bikini line? NO WAY - my arms are just too short for that :LOL

If you feel you must take care of businees down there, I would recommend waxing. During my last pregnancy I was in Brazil to visit my family and I went ahead and got my first Brazilian wax Over there all women get this kind of waxes and it is not considered naughty or anything like that. BTW, the results were very nice I have not had one in the US though: too pricey and the places I found seemed kind of weird and suspiscious...
Old 02-16-2005, 01:15 AM

bikini line tip - put hand mirror on edge of tub, put one foot on tub edge next to mirror, and PLEASE remember that the movements shown in the mirror are OPPOSITE the ones you're actually making. (owwies if you forget!)

believe it or not .... MIL taught me that. WAY TMI.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:19 AM

I can reach ok to shave my legs....
but just curious, how long does a leg waxing last? I mean, how long before the hair starts growing back? And about how much does it cost?
Old 02-16-2005, 01:24 AM

One thing that helped me was I got a free sample of the 'Intuition' razor- the one with the shaving cream wrapped around the blade. It was SO nice when I was pg and tryign to shave to only have to do one step- and easy to go over and over to be sure I got all spots.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
Old 02-16-2005, 02:00 AM

It's kind of like standing on your head. I've been shaving my legs every week for the past few weeks and it is an exhausting effort. My thighs and bikini line are done blind, but I do my best. I should try the mirror idea.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbean91
One thing that helped me was I got a free sample of the 'Intuition' razor- the one with the shaving cream wrapped around the blade. It was SO nice when I was pg and tryign to shave to only have to do one step- and easy to go over and over to be sure I got all spots.

My mother bought me one of those-it was awesome!
Old 02-16-2005, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polihaupt
I have not had one in the US though: too pricey and the places I found seemed kind of weird and suspiscious...
That's exactly what keeps me from having it done. I really don't want someone else near that area but me.

FWIW, I've found that pregnancy actual decreases my hair. I'm a hair beast right now, but it's grown in very fine and not all of my pores have hair. Wonder if it's that extra estrogen...
Old 02-16-2005, 03:55 AM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
I used to get waxed; now I wax myself, but when I get big I will go to a salon again.

Half-leg (top or bottom) should be about $40, full leg, about $70, regular bikini, $25. Usually they will put a deal if you want them all done. Brazilian is harder to find, unless you are in a big city; in Houston I paid $40.

The hair is pulled out entirely so it lasts a long time. For me, sparse regrowth starts about 1.5 months, fully regrown by 4 months.

Don't get waxed if you are very poofy with water. You could pull some skin off!

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 born at 31 weeks Oct. 2014
Old 02-16-2005, 12:26 PM

Ok, gotta laugh, I usually get a brazillian wax, but couldn't get in to the girl who usually does it and I was itchy and annoyed-and with my pregnant mentality, it had to be done NOW!!!! So I shaved myself.... a few days later, getting an exam from the OB (was having pre-term contractions) and she sorta looked and smirked (we've been through alot together my OB and I) I said, what, is my tatoo stretched weird?? she giggled a bit and asked if "trimmed things myself" that's when I knew just how bad a job I had done
My brazillian wax lasts me about 5 months.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:01 PM

I miss getting Brazillian waxes. I used to go every month or so. (FIVE months? REALLY?! I so wish my hair grew that slowly! :LOL)

Since I quit my job and started taking care of DH's office, though, I just don't have as much disposable income. So, that's one of the little treats I disposed of. :LOL

That being said, I'll be nine months along in JUNE! And we just bought a house with a big fat POOL! :LOL Yeah, my waxing girl will be seeing me in a few months.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." 
Old 02-16-2005, 01:21 PM

I have very thin and fine hair, it grows quicker, it just doesn't get unruley until 5 mos
Old 02-16-2005, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbean91
I have been using the Intuition for about a year and a half now and LOVE it. I go through the refills pretty quickly and they are not cheap, but it makes shaving so much easier, ESPECIALLY now that I can't see what I'm doing! There are some good online specials for the refills every now and then, I've ordered in bulk from places like www.drugstore.com, etc.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:01 PM

Great idea having your partner do it.

The reason I don't shave is becasue I can't stand the prickly hairs. I don't understand how not shaving gives you prickly hairs. Except for about a week or however long it takes for them to grow out. Like when you shave pubic hair, it's prickly when it is growing out but once it is normal again it isn't prickly or annoying.

Really my hair doesn't bother me. It was more bother for the couple of years in high school when I was actually shaving.

And if you can afford it having someone wax for you would be wonderful! I have waxed a few times and I love it. Plus it takes longer for the hair toy grow out after it's been waxed. No prickles the next day.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:46 PM

It's the same way I put on my socks when i get that big and can't see anything any other way. I lie down on my bed on my back for the length of time it takes me to do that. For shaving, if necessary, I would do it in the bathtub. If it becomes uncomfortable to lie on your back for that length of time, I would take it in stages. Do part of one leg, rest and relax in the bath, finish the leg up, rest & relax, move to the next leg.
Old 02-18-2005, 07:30 PM

Okay, first off, I'm getting these turtle images of a pregnant woman with flailing arms and legs in the air... :LOL

If I did have a bathtub to shave in, it would probably still take me awhile. I think with the last pregnancy it was a 2 day affair, and even then I only made it mid-thigh. Last time was also summer and I opted for one of those bathing suits with a skirt. The only place I wore it was at my mom's HOA pool and there never were enough people there to care.

I'm so happy this time around it's winter. It's all about the pants! I'll probably care once the baby is here. Besides, I'm sure I'll definitely want a "for me day" at the spa where I can get all cleaned up.

User Tag List