Please please help with baby names! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-19-2005, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 28 weeks pregnant and losing sleep over baby names

DH and I are both Asian, we're debating whether to use a Mandarin name for this baby. With DD #1, we picked Maya, because it's easy to spell/pronounce and a little exotic. Baby #2 is possibly a boy, so it's hard to come up with something that goes with Maya.

I'm also concerned that if we choose an Asian name, baby #2 will hate us for it (hard to spell or pronounce) and complained why he doesn't have a name that's as easy as his big sister

So far, DH's favorites are Ian and Dylan. I love Dylan, but it's so popular right now.

Creative mamas, could you give me some directions? Just in case the US is not correct, I'd also appreciate suggestion for girl names, too. Our last names sounds like "She" and means "rock" in Mandarin.

Thank you thank you thank you
#2 of 4 Old 02-19-2005, 07:41 PM

What a fun thread idea! I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with! Meanwhile, here are some suggestions . . .

My husband is Latvian, so we will be choosing Latvian names for our kids. However, his favorite NON-Latvian boy's name is Davis. (We met an adorable homebirthed baby several years ago named Davis, and the name has stuck with him.) DH also likes the name "Brook(e)", which works for a boy OR a girl!

I lean towards Celtic names as that is my background--I have always loved the name Declan.

There are quite a few baby name search engines out there: check some of them out at

www.popularbabynames.com

www.pregnancy.parenthood.com/babynames.html
(this one is cool because you can plug in the meaning and it will come up with names)

www.yourbabysname.com

www.babyzone.com/babynames/namesearch.asp

Good luck, and let us know what you decide!
#3 of 4 Old 02-21-2005, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for the ideas, birth junky
I'm going to check out the links you suggested. Hopefully I can come up with something unique.
It's so hard to name a boy, I don't know why. The choices are limited, too.

Thanks again!!
#4 of 4 Old 02-21-2005, 09:53 PM

My husband has both a Chinese name and an English name. They are similary phonetically - Wie-Lin is the Mandarin spelling, We-Lin is the Toishanese spelling, but he goes by William. Could you do something like that?

I also have a friends named Yao, Yu-Ming and Chi (I like all three of these name). I think they are easy to pronounce and would not be considered too strange by English-speakers.

Good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page