pregnant again at 6 months post-partum!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-21-2005, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am freaking out!!!! My youngest is only 7 months!!! My oldest is only 6 1/2...with two in between!!! We wanted to have more children...eventually....but 6 months is FAST!!!! I need to advice on how to have a super healthy pregnancy (I was planning on loosing 50 pounds before getting pregnant again...obviously that didn't happen!) AND keep my milk supply for my sweet baby!!! Help!

Heidi : Married for 15 years, expecting our 8th baby in July!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2005, 05:53 PM

Hugs, Mama. I don't have a lot of specific advice for you (since you have more kiddos than I!), but I got pregnant with my second when my first was just 5 months old, so I can relate!! Don't think about the weight you want to lose now. Make sure you are taking a good multi-vite, drinking TONS of water, and (trying) to get plenty of sleep. Ha. I know... sleep, right. Drinking a lot of water will help you maintain your supply as well as nursing on demand and offering the breast more often if your babe starts nursing less frequently.
You can do it! Hugs again and good luck!

Raising our babies: 2003, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, and 2012
Old 02-21-2005, 07:02 PM

Calm down; don't worry; it's going to be alright! I can tell by the quote in your signiture that you know you will be given help when you need it. My first two are 17 months apart, which means I got pregnant at 8 months- my milk dried up, despite my efforts. You can only do the best you can do. I am now pregnant with #4, and #3 is 15 months and still nurses several times a day and milk is still coming in strong. I'm not that far along, but trying to eat lots of good stuff and taking my vitamins, instead of junk, which I want to eat. Perhaps since you still have the baby fat from the last one, maybe you'll be better able to support the new one and the nursling if you get plenty of nutrients and water, so maybe you're milk won't dry up. And ditto on the sleep and ditto on the laughing at that concept!

Hugs!
Old 02-21-2005, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the support!! Now that I have calmed down a bit (I had just found out when I posted...after calling dh, of course!) I am excited!! Although I am still muttering "holy cow" under my breath every few minutes.
ricemomma- thank you so much for putting a positive spin on my rather large amount of "baby" fat!!!! What a wonderful way to look at it....maybe it will help me to keep my milk!!

Old 02-21-2005, 10:45 PM

HI! And Congrats!!
I am using a midwife this time around who calls herself the "nutrition nazi". Her major rules for me were:
1. Eliminate sugar (I went cold turkey and the cravings lasted 2 weeks and since then I haven't even cared)
2. Eliminate white flour
3. Drink tons of water
She is very into putting on weight with "useable" food. She said if you wouldn't consider giving your infant formula, which is processed food, then don't give yourslef processed food because its the same thing. That was kind of a ligth-bulb moment for me.
Following the above rules, this will be my most healthy pregnancy yet!
Old 02-21-2005, 11:00 PM

Congratulations and Hugs!
Old 02-21-2005, 11:08 PM

congratulations.. remember that pregnancy is 10 months and by the time the baby is here your little baby will be much much bigger and much more ready for a little sibling..

Good luck and don't stress too much!

Old 02-21-2005, 11:08 PM

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who got pregnant at the drop of a hat...Oh, you said 6 MONTHS not six weeks! My mistake

:LOL
Old 02-21-2005, 11:18 PM

I know you're probably going to not feel so great for the next several weeks, but would it be possible to pump? If you pumped, then maybe you could keep your milk supply up AND at the same time, have some boobie juice stored away just in case your milk supply does dry up before you want it to. Would that work?

BTW, Congratulations!!!!
Old 02-21-2005, 11:21 PM

Congrats on the new baby! I don't have much to add, but I at least wanted you to know that we are happy to have you with us again. Just do your best to take care of yourself, and everything else will work out.

Goldie, Mom to 5 my kiddos and forever loving on my fantabulous dh John.
Old 02-22-2005, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your support!
softmama- thank you so much for the nutrition suggestions!!! I really need to buckle down and eat super healthy!! I already grind my own wheat and mostly use that for baking and cooking, but I do eat way too many processed foods that contain sugar and white flour! And I am horrible at drinking enough water. After I found out I was pregnant, I did eat a whole bag of organic baby carrots!!!! (I felt like making a honking big batch of peanut butter chocolate chip cookies!!!!)
ajsgirl - I am planning on beginning to pump. We are moving in three weeks, though, so I can't begin until after we move because I can't really safely move frozen breastmilk. I know it's going to be cutting it close because most moms loose their milk around 4 months (pretty sure that's about how it's been for me in the past) but hopefully I'll have at least a whole, solid month with a good supply to pump and save for my baby if I end up loosing all my milk!!!!

Old 02-22-2005, 01:33 PM

First of all congratulations!! What a blessing.

I am pregnant for the third time in two years. We had a baby two years ago 2/17/03, and he passed away shortly after birth. I got pregnant a month later. Then when my dd was 7 months, I was pregnant again. I thought I might go jump off a cliff. But now that I am 32 weeks, I am much better. I was mostly worried about my body. I started Curves with the blessing of my midwife when I was 9-10 weeks and am still going strong. I went this morning. This pregnancy has been the best. I have only gained 8 pounds so far. I was overweight to begin with, who wouldn't be after two pregnancies back to back and I have just eaten really healthy. I drink lots of water and really try to limit my sugar. I have felt really good other than a couple of weeks of ms. I am getting tired now. I also have an 8 year old so she helps. I can't wait for this baby. I am so excited now. I think they will great friends being so close together.

Take care
Old 02-22-2005, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

3in2 - I am so sorry for your loss. And thank you for your support and encourgement!! I am so happy to hear that you have been going to curves. Before I found out I was pregnant I was already planning on working out all summer with my mom (who also struggles with her weight) and I appreciate the encourgement to still go ahead and do that! Did you loose your milk with your 7 month old?

Old 02-22-2005, 02:25 PM

One thing I would recommend is that you go out and buy the book "Adventures in Tandem Nursing" by Hilary Flower. GREAT book, and it is the only one I have found that addresses the unique needs of pregnant, nursing moms.

Congratulations and good luck!
Old 02-22-2005, 02:56 PM

Can you do some research on herbal support? I know I've heard that fennel is good for milk production, but I'm wondering if you can have it if you're pg....

Congrats and good luck!

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
Old 02-22-2005, 08:08 PM

Man and I thought I was the only one having babies so close together! Yay! Off to pick peoples brains....
Old 02-23-2005, 04:42 AM

Yeah I freaked too. I was so close to my ppw and then wham! I'm prego. My dd weaned when I was about 20 weeks. I feel like I had plenty of milk, but I couldn't control the flavor of the milk. I've heard from plenty of people that it may change during pregnancy. It was sad for me, but all we can do is be thankful for what we have/had. Ya know?

I have to agree w/ most mama's on the water thing. It is your best friend. Just make a conscious effort everyday. Some days you won't drink any, some days it will come easily. I always drink a glass of water when I get hungry. It helps me verify true hunger.

I do have to admitt that I enjoy my dark chocolate whenever I want. It keeps me balanced.

Congrats on the : . It was shocking at first but, we are bursting with excitement now. We are still awaiting the arrival of our : . (I'm six days overdue) Each of these little beings have such great work to do here, and we are their gaurdians. It's such a blessing.

Cec
Old 02-23-2005, 12:03 PM

Well, tomorrow I will be five weeks, and my milk is going. My boobs are like two limp empty bags. My baby (he's 15 months, but still!) will nurse for a couple minutes, but when nothing comes out, he shrugs, and wants a sippy cup. Oh well. At least he's not upset.

Softmama- Is it all sugar? Does she let you have honey or other sweetners?

To the rest of you: Good luck and happy baby!
Old 02-23-2005, 01:00 PM

I forgot to mention that I did not nurse my dd. I tried for about 2 weeks. But I know better now what to do to establish the relationship. She was tongue tied and couldn't latch.

I have a friend who nursed almost her whole pregnancy until the baby (15-16 months) weaned on his own. I can find out if she did anything special to retain her milk.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

So far the milk supply seems to be okay. My baby has been nursing TONS more...especially at night which I am guessing to mean that my milk supply needs to be beefed up by her nursing a ton. I can't start pumping for another few weeks (due to a move) but am very anxcious to get a huge supply of milk in the deep freeze. My baby also has been super interested in solids (none of my other kids have been really and have just relied almost soley on breastmilk until they are about 12-13 months old) which I am taking to be a good thing and so have been feeding her several times a day solid food.
The water thing is hard! I feel sooooooooooo thirsty all the time!!!!!! But I just am so busy all the time I don't drink as much as I should and then I finally end up drinking like 32 ounces in the few hours before I go to bed and then I have to get up several times during the night to go to the bathroom!!!! I'm sure after our move things will definitly calm down and I'll hopefully exceed my water goals. : ) And my fruit and veggie goals (we just bought a juicer!)

Old 03-03-2005, 05:00 PM

A huge congratulations to you on your pregnancy! Honestly, and I know a lot of people think this is crazy, or unsafe or bad for baby, etc. But I would love to be in your shoes! My 2 will be 20 months apart, and to me... that is too long!!! Ha! Happy and Healthy pg vibes to you, so exciting!!!
Old 03-03-2005, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darsmama
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who got pregnant at the drop of a hat...Oh, you said 6 MONTHS not six weeks! My mistake

:LOL
I didn't get pregnant but I ovulated at 4 weeks postpartum and had my period at six weeks!! So much for the breastfeeding as birth control method! With BOTH pregnancies. Luckily, my dh is worried about hurting me so we haven't had the "S" word yet...

You can do this! When you come to the crossroads of either choosing to worry or choosing Not to worry, you can choose NOT to worry and send it up to the universe! Works for me everytime!
Old 03-03-2005, 08:18 PM

COngratulations! I got pregnant with my fourth when my third was 5 months old. My drop in supply and her frequent nursing clued me in. I was going to start domperidone! :LOL I was already taking fenugreek and nursing like crazy. I worked full time and pumped at work (my pump and I were NOT in love : ) and I ended up weaning her the next month. My body just could not keep up with the hellacious schedule and demand. I wanted SO badly to nurse while pregnant and tandem, it just didn't work out that way. I was seriously ill the whole year after his birth but did manage to keep nursing him some until I was hospitalized right before his first birthday.

I digress, you CAN do it and your baby will be just fine. Be sure to rest as often as you can!!
Old 03-04-2005, 01:13 PM

I'm glad things are still going well for you. I have just kept on nursing, and my little guy just keeps nursing and the milk is coming back a little.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:24 PM

Congrats on your pregnancy!

I got pregnant at 5 months PP exclusively BFing and relying on 4 years of infertility. :

I get panicky moments too and I don't have any other kids! I wish you the best of luck and I know you're going to be o.k.

Jen

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:33 PM

Congrats!

And as far as working out, I can't see any reason why getting a moderate exercise schedule in place would be a problem. Not for losing weight, but for the purposes of making it a habit, being physically active, and healthy! Maybe yoga, swimming, or walking would work?

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein

User Tag List