Childbirth Classes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-23-2005, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My mw is strongly encouraging dh and me to attend a childbirth class. I've participated before when pg with my dd, but I didn't find the class all that helpful or interesting, except the videos

Anyway, just wondering if you could all give me your opinion regarding me and dh (he'll be a first time dad, although he's stepdad to my dd) attending a childbirth class? Thanks in advance for the input.

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2005, 11:27 PM

I actually would suggest some kind of class, even if it one of those "one day refresher" type things, but only because your DH is a first-timer. Imagine going into it for the first time with NO prior knowledge of what to expect! I would think that would be hard on him, especially not knowing what to do to help you out. If I were in his place, that would make me feel very anxious and helpless.

DH and I are not taking any classes, but we've both been here before, and it wasn't all that long ago.

-Melissa

Melissa Andrew dd1 dd2 dd3 and
Old 02-24-2005, 08:45 AM

Dh and I took Bradley when we were expecting our first, and we retook the whole series again this time around. We are VERY glad we did! We purposefully took the classes this time from a different teacher, so we got a different perspective, and different knowledge. (Granted, our teacher from the first go-round was not very good, so there was a LOT of room for improvement, there!)

Since your DH is a first-time dad, I'd say go ahead and take the class again, if only for his sake. He needs to know how to support you in labor, and have the confidence to do it.

Just my .02
Old 02-24-2005, 10:11 AM

Hi there,

We skipped the childbirth classes because our doula basically is teaching us everything we need to know. That knowledge has been invaluable! However, many of my well-informed, self-directed friends have told me they learned nothing from conventional childbirth classes.

I think it all depends on your comfort level, and also what your needs are. One of my friends who found the classes useless took hypnobirthing this time around and really loved it.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:57 PM

I never took any classes. My dh only had to stay close to me and hold my hand when I asked him to and I was peachy. He didn't seem to be to freaked out by the experience, but he spent a lot of time with ds so I could kind of be by myself. This time we are hoping ds and dd are not there for very long so that we can have a chance to labor together and he can really help me do some things this time. Keep your fingers crossed for me! Even though we are a long way away from that time at this point.

Goldie, Mom to 5 my kiddos and forever loving on my fantabulous dh John.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:04 PM

We took a conventional childbirth class last time and I agree with jocmtl that it was not a good use of our time. However, like mahogny we have re-enrolled in Bradley classes this time around, in part because we didn't end up finishing them last time, and in part because this time I KNOW it will hurt and I want the reminders and companionship of how birth can be well-managed and a good experience.

If you choose not to go the class route, what do you think about asking DH to do a lot of reading so that he can provide the kind of support you deserve?
Old 02-24-2005, 03:28 PM

Also make sure to tour the hospital and learn their policies (if you are doing a hospital delivery). I mean policies like cell phone, parking, visitors, ammentities, meals... etc.

Emily
Old 02-24-2005, 04:37 PM

I love the childbirth class dh and I are taking, but it isn't a national program - it's taught by Penny Simkin, who wrote The Birth Partner (a book I highly recommend!), and is focused on home and birth center births.

When I was looking at classes here, I was much more drawn to the ones that were taught by doulas and others who did their own programs, but I think the quality of these would vary greatly from place to place.

User Tag List