Can I get a mole removed while pregnant? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-24-2005, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 9 weeks pg. And I've got this little mole on my neck that my toddler has grown so fond of, it's like his security blanket. He plays with it so much that it's become very irritated and painful and I need to remove it before it gets worse. It's even bled a couple of times. I'm sure they do a local anesthetic, but I just want to make sure it's completely safe in the first trimester before I get it done.

BTW, I feel awful taking this away from my ds, since he seems so attached to it, but he's also very attached to my eyebrows, so I think he'll manage. And yes, I've tried covering it with a band-aid and he just peels it off.
#2 of 6 Old 02-24-2005, 12:26 AM

I've had one removed without the anesthetic and with - didn't make a difference to me. That migh be a thought if you can't get enough safety information for your comfort.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#3 of 6 Old 02-24-2005, 02:05 AM

Actually, I just went to the Dermatologist about a week ago. I'm 32wks pg or so, and he said he could not remove while pg because of the meds they inject into the mole prior to removal. (Now don't go picturing some monstrous mole! It's just a regular ol mole.) The Dr said to wait until after pg. I mentioned how I'd be nursing and asked if that'd pose a problem still, and he said the manufacturer (?) says not to use while nursing but he didnt think it'd cause a problem. I think I'll just wait until after I stop nursing too though.

That was my experience. Maybe other Dr's will tell you something different.
#4 of 6 Old 02-24-2005, 02:24 AM

OH MY GOSH!!!! I just skimmed over your post to get the jist of your question before my previous reply post.... But I just now re-read it............. My son has the SAME thing with my moles too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :LOL: It started with the one of the back of my neck. He used to use it to go to sleep. Then I just absolutely could not STAND him touching it anymore. He'd want to rub it and stuff. So the rule changed to just touch, dont rub. Then, the neck mole was off limits after a while. But... I also have one on my back that i left him rub in the general area (but not on the actual mole) w/ a flat hand, so it's like i'm getting backrub every night!! :LOL:
But... I'm going to get both removed. I do feel bad too... but I'm sure he'll live. And I did want to get the removed anyway before he started all this mole business. He's 4 and this "love of the mole" has been since he was about 1yr old.
Maybe I can see about transplanting it to his arm or something. Just kidding!!
It's sooooooo funny to find someone else whose son has the same mole attraction. :LOL:
#5 of 6 Old 02-24-2005, 01:22 PM

Sort of related, my friend has a mole right above her breast. Her son would twiddle that during nursing. Now that he is "weanded" he asks:

Mom, can I play with your Ball!!!!!! :LOL

LoL! Very funny!

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
#6 of 6 Old 02-25-2005, 12:57 AM

The anesthetic shouldn't be a problem. It's lidocaine. The same thing they would use during an IV start in the hospital with labor. They would use it as well if you needed surgery during your pregnancy (for example an appendix).

The real issue is scarring. You are more prone to forming scars during pregnancy and also right after. I would wait until after you are done breastfeeding unless you feel that the mole is changing or have concerns that it is a cancer.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page