RH factor! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 47 Old 08-07-2006, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by our veggie baby
Well, my hubby was in the army, years ago, and is absolutely positive he is O negative---even says so on his dog tags...but I guess I am confused because I told the doctor that and he *claimed* he could have a negative blood type and still have some positive *elements* or some crap...I always thought if you are whatever negative (blood type) that meant you were RH negative... I am looking for clarification! I am planning on asking my midwife, but she is only in the office 2 days a week and I don't want to page her for this!
Well, I am A+ but had to have Rhogham with THIS pregnancy but not with DD and here is why... When I was PG with my DD, I was typed and found to be A+, I did not recieve Rhogham. I had a miscarriage in November and did not recieve Rhogham. THEN, I donated a kidney to my Dad in February. They, obviously, do a lot of in depth blood work. Through that process, they discovered that I have "a very weak RH factor." The way it was explained to me is that RH factor is a scale, like 1 to 10, not a yes or no. For most of us, it's clear that you + or - but for some people (me being one of them) you fall into a "grey" area. I type A+ on a basic typing screen but for purposes of pregnancy and blood transfusion, I need to be considered A-. How's that for crazy?

Now, here is hoping that my NOT getting Rhogham has not caused any senstivity issues. I am now 16.5 weeks into this pregnancy. It is my understanding that the shot prevents RH sensitivity but that once you are sensitized they can't "undo" it. I am hoping that because I had a very natural birth with no interventions or problems and an early miscarriage that occured naturally with no D&C that I have not been sensitized. I haven't asked to have my blood checked yet, I probably will at my next appointment. So, that's my story!

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#32 of 47 Old 08-07-2006, 07:18 PM

I'm RH- and with my ds I just did what they told me to do. With this pregnancy I had done quite a bit or research. So, when I went in at 10 weeks spotting I refused the rhogam. I read many studies that said if the baby looks fine and there's no blood in the uterus no rhogam is necessary. Well, you would have thought I was killing my baby based on the reactions of the CNMs. I brought the studies in and they acted like it was bogus. I also had the U/S and there was NO bleeding in my uterus. So, how could blood have mixed?!?!?! So, I'm convinced they just do this shot to save their asses. Well, I've now switched to a homebirth midwife and she is most respectful of me decison. I will not do rhogam unless there is bleeding in my uterus setting me up for mixing of blood. I don't hink I will get it afterward either. Ihave also read with a natural birth and pulsing out of placenta the chances of blood mixing are extrememly low.
Yet another difficult decision to make during pregnancy.
#33 of 47 Old 08-07-2006, 08:15 PM

Wasabi - your posts sound informative, but there are some minor errors.

The US is not the "only country" to routinely give prenatal RhoGam to RH negative mothers. Canada does too, and I'm sure some of the European countries do as well (though those I cannot account for, it's only what I've heard from people living and birthing there).

Also - those with RH negative blood types make up a LOT more than 3% of the population.

The breakdown in the US is this :

O+ : 38%
A+ : 34%
B+ : 9%
AB+ : 3%

O- : 7%
A- : 6%
B- : 2%
AB- : 1%

I would like to know how accurate blood typing is when it's done by various labs, the Red Cross or Canadian Blood Services, etc. I am consistently typed as being RH neg, but one hospital has typed me as AB-, another as A- and Canadian Blood Services as A- (blood donation).

My last two pregnancies, I have recieved both the prenatal and post-partum WinRho shots. This time though, I've had the opportunity to research a little further and am not as comfortable getting the prenatal shot.

Canadian mom to Boo (Aug '02), Bug (Aug '04) and Bear (Dec '06).
Jesse (July '09)
#34 of 47 Old 08-07-2006, 09:55 PM

I'm a bit confused still on the blood type thing. I'm A-, DD1 is A+, and DD2 is O-. Does this mean that my dh is O-?
#35 of 47 Old 08-07-2006, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by our veggie baby
Well, my hubby was in the army, years ago, and is absolutely positive he is O negative---even says so on his dog tags...but I guess I am confused because I told the doctor that and he *claimed* he could have a negative blood type and still have some positive *elements* or some crap...I always thought if you are whatever negative (blood type) that meant you were RH negative... I am looking for clarification! I am planning on asking my midwife, but she is only in the office 2 days a week and I don't want to page her for this!
There are multiple subtypes of the Rh factor. The one that's important in pregnancy is D, and that's the only one that RhoGam protects against. The other minor subtypes can be positive, but you may still type negative. There are also a number of minor RBC antigens that can be discordant in a couple and cause isoimmunization problems, but since there's no prevention for them they're not generally typed unless you come up positive on an antibody screen.

mama to Max (2/02) and Sophie (10/06); wife to my fabulous girl
#36 of 47 Old 08-07-2006, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natashaccat
I'm a bit confused still on the blood type thing. I'm A-, DD1 is A+, and DD2 is O-. Does this mean that my dh is O-?
Not necessarily. The ABO type is determined by two genes, one from each parent (gross simplification here, but it'll work). You can donate either an A, B or O allele, depending on your blood type. A and B are codominant alleles and O is recessive, so if you're type A, for example, you can be either AA or AO. In both cases your blood would type as A since the A antigen would be expressed. If you're AA, you will only pass on an A allele. If you're AO, you could pass on either an A or an O allele. In your case, your husband has at least one O allele, and you are AO (since your daughter is O and you're A). He could be AO, BO or OO. The only blood type excluded by having a type O child is AB, since there is no O allele to be passed on.

As far as his Rh type goes, he is heterozygous for Rh (one positive, one negative allele). If he were homozygous (two positive alleles), then you could not have a child who was Rh negative. If he had two negative alleles, then you would not have a positive child since you're negative, which requires two negative alleles to express.

mama to Max (2/02) and Sophie (10/06); wife to my fabulous girl
#37 of 47 Old 08-08-2006, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natashaccat
http://www.biology.arizona.edu/Human...inherited.html

Somebody posted this on an earlier thread re blood type. (scroll down on the page for the calculator) HTH!

Mimi :yawning: the happy mama of one DD & one DS ; married to my sweetie.
#38 of 47 Old 08-08-2006, 12:39 PM

Hear Ye Hear Ye..... I am a testament to the fact that YOU can be Rh- and your DH can be Rh- and YOU can birth a postive baby.... (Oh and the possible need to joke about ..."are you sure it's his"...isn't funny, never was). Something about the elements is right.
The hospital I birthed at tried to explain it to me... but I had been in labor for 36hours so I don't remember too much.
the Blood bank at the hosptial said that 26years before they had the same thing happen only with an Amish couple and the husband just about left his wife over it.
It's VERY rare but it happens.
I don't get the pregnancy shot of Rhogam... but I do check to see if I could use the after birth shot.
I figure lightening won't strike twice so ...I am guessing that this 4th pregnancy will be negative unlike my third.
Tricia

momma to 7
:
#39 of 47 Old 08-15-2006, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pom
I'm confused. I thought the shots you get now are for the NEXT baby? Is that why some of you are only getting the after shots?
yea, so figure out why the twit doc i saw yesterday refuses to see me since i am refusing rhogam and he said he is concerned for the baby's safety. moron.

that is some great info wasabi - thx

i'm A-, DH is A+. i'll get the postnatal shot if the baby is +, but am not getting the 28 week one. i was preg once before (diff dad - it was a long time ago) and shortly after i got rhogam, i started bleeding. i ended up having a placental abruption and my daughter was stillborn. perhaps not related, but too many risk factors in getting rhogam to me . . .

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world" - Gandhi
My Livi bear 10/26/2006
#40 of 47 Old 01-03-2007, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizaBear View Post
Wasabi - your posts sound informative, but there are some minor errors.
Also - those with RH negative blood types make up a LOT more than 3% of the population.

The breakdown in the US is this :

O+ : 38%
A+ : 34%
B+ : 9%
AB+ : 3%

O- : 7%
A- : 6%
B- : 2%
AB- : 1%
Sorry I meant 3% of the birthing population not the US' population. If you were to take your 16% negative blood types and divide them by half (roughly of course) to get 8% of women have negative blood types. Of course much of that group is not in the birthing pool having either not entered yet or having already left their fertile time. 3% is what is cited again and again in the research I did which is what I was looking for a link to which is how I found this thread.
#41 of 47 Old 01-03-2007, 03:51 PM

Just to put in my 2 cents, I was only given the shot during pg because I started bleeding - turns out I had a small hematoma behind the placenta. Everything turned out fine, but even this time my mw said I would only need the shot antenatally if I have another bleeding complication. Other than that, my mw only gives the shot post partum when there's a -mom and a +dad. Of course, the lousy running joke is that he studied harder for the A+

happy coffee-addict ballerina wife to my DH:, SAHM to my awesome ds#1blahblah.gif5/05), dddust.gif(7/07), and ds#2babyboy.gif(1/11)

#42 of 47 Old 01-03-2007, 08:29 PM

I haven't read all of the replies, but I am A- with a positive Du variant. My dh is RH + and I have NEVER had a shot of Rhogam in any of my pregnancies. Having a positive Du variant means that I can accept + blood, but I can give - blood to an RH- person.

We know that my oldest dd is A-, but we don't know about the other kids yet.
#43 of 47 Old 01-03-2007, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildthing View Post
but I can give - blood to an RH- person.

We know that my oldest dd is A-, but we don't know about the other kids yet.
Was this meant to be can't give? The Du variant came up in another thread some time back. I had never known about it before. So you're one of the lucky ones who doesn't even get pressured to get it.
#44 of 47 Old 01-03-2007, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabi View Post
Was this meant to be can't give? The Du variant came up in another thread some time back. I had never known about it before. So you're one of the lucky ones who doesn't even get pressured to get it.
Nope, it means I CAN give, and I have. To an A- person about 10 years ago. And yes, I am lucky and don't get pressured for it. My dd was getting pressured about it, but her partner is also negative, and both of his parents and his brother are all negative. Still tried to convince her that it was best to get it "just in case" :
#45 of 47 Old 01-03-2007, 08:42 PM

Ok so you can accept + blood and you can give it to a negative person. The "but" was what was throwing me. Well that's just dumb in your DD's case.
#46 of 47 Old 01-03-2007, 08:56 PM

Yes, exactly, I guess I worded it poorly.

And yeah, it was dumb in dds case, but she didn't consent to it. I am proud of her.
#47 of 47 Old 01-03-2007, 10:18 PM

I have not read all of this...so forgive me if I am repetitious.
I am a midwife's apprentice and a mama who is RH- with an RH+ partner.
With my first son, I was seeing CNMs, I got the shot while pregnant. I regret this, but also cannot go back in time. My son turned out to be RH-.
Now I am pregnant again.
Here is what we do.
If the mama or papa doesn't know his/her blood type, we use an Eldon card and check it. If they are both negative, then whatever no big thing. If he is negative, no big thing. If she is negative, we take cord blood from the baby at birth(after 3rd stage), and check it with an Eldon card. Then, if the baby is negative, that is that. If the baby is positive, at the 24 hr postpartum, we give a Rogham shot.
You don't need it prenatally unless there is a concern there has been sensitization, which is rare. Or miscarriage...but that technically isn't prenatally.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page