Is this weird? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 03-11-2005, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is it weird for someone throwing you a shower to throw it at your own house? I am giving my sil a shower and I want to have it at her house, but she thinks everyone will think that's strange. I think it is not a big deal at all. My shower was at my house, but I was on bed rest for 6 months and couldn't go anywhere anyway. I think I still would have liked to have it at my house though. What do you think, and what do you prefer? I would have her shower at my house but I live an hour away.

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 03-11-2005, 09:16 PM

nope not strange at all imho. I have given 2 baby showers for the same friend (one at her home and another at another friend's house) the one in her own home was by far the easiest.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#3 of 18 Old 03-11-2005, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

Bumping cuz' I really need responses. My SIL asks me to post to see what a bunch of people would say. I know it seems silly...just have the shower wherever you want it...:LOL But she is being picky. Help me out? A simple weird or not weird is fine. Hmmmmm...maybe I should have done a poll.

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

#4 of 18 Old 03-11-2005, 11:36 PM

Not weird. I've been to lots of showers at the mom's home. It's easier in terms of gifts, too-- you don't have to lug them anywhere afterward.
#5 of 18 Old 03-11-2005, 11:36 PM

Not weird and awfully convienient.

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
#6 of 18 Old 03-11-2005, 11:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I definitely agree that it's not weird and MAJORLY convenient. Now, if it was a suprise, :LOL I don't think it'd work, but if she already knows about it, why not, she's not throwing it for herself . I WISH my baby shower had been at my house, we had SO much STUFF that it took like 3 car loads to get it all home

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#7 of 18 Old 03-11-2005, 11:58 PM

Not weird. My 1st shower w/my dd was at my house, given by 2 friends & my sister. Worked great because all the 'stuff' was here. But, she has to make sure someone else volunteers to clean the house first, LOL.
#8 of 18 Old 03-12-2005, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamas!

#9 of 18 Old 03-12-2005, 12:11 AM

Definitely not weird, and SO convenient! My sister is throwing mine, I asked her to have it at my house!!
#10 of 18 Old 03-12-2005, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipumpkins
Not weird and awfully convienient.
What she said.
#11 of 18 Old 03-12-2005, 12:53 AM

How many "not weirds" do you need? I can stuff the ballot box if you like.

Not weird
Not weird
Not weird

Have a fun shower!!!
#12 of 18 Old 03-12-2005, 12:56 AM

I would have it at my house.
#13 of 18 Old 03-12-2005, 01:00 AM

My blessingway was held at my house. Of the 6 moms there, we had 19 kids between us that had to come, so my house was the only option as I have a big house with stuff for all ages. Homeschooling friends always bring the kid count way up high! My friends who threw the party for me did all the setting up and cleaning afterward, so it was very easy for me. Make sure you do that if you have the shower at her house! You don't want to leave a pregnant mom with the cleanup after a party thrown in her honor!

Homeschooling mom to four kids, ages 18, 18, 10, and 6. 

#14 of 18 Old 03-12-2005, 02:44 AM - Thread Starter

You mamas are the best! Thank you so much for the quick responses. We won her over and I was able to print out the invitations. : The shower isn't until May, but my little one is due in May, two months before SIL...so I want to get everything done early.

#15 of 18 Old 03-12-2005, 11:49 AM

I think it'd be beneficial to have it at her house because then she doesnt have to drag all of the gifts home afterwards. She'll already be home!
Just be sure that others clean up the messes and that she isnt left with a mess to clean.
#16 of 18 Old 03-12-2005, 12:01 PM

Was thinking... that if she feels a little uncomfortable about the idea, then maybe you can make an announcement at a certain point during the shower, perhaps before opening the gifts, you can announce how glad you are about having the shower at her home because she wont ahve to lug stuff back to her house, etc. Not necessary, but an idea if it will help her feel more comfortable.
#17 of 18 Old 03-12-2005, 12:31 PM

Here's a dissent. Weird. Ok not weird, but not totally correct. It does lend more of the impression that the guest of honor is throwing the shower for herself. And heck, I'm one for a party, but if gifts are the focus as they usually are at showers, it should be thrown by someone else. More of a mothering blessing, welcome baby, co-ed barbecue- things less gift focused i'd slide more, even with the etiquette no-no. In the real world, there are some good reasons to use the GOH's house. Larger...sometimes the host lives in an apartment. Distance - if all the guests live near to the GOH and the host is far away. Bedrest, as someone mentioned or other medical things. However, cleaning. It seems unkind to make the GOH get her house into the shape where she'd be comfortable having guests. Not the best gift. Though I have seem family pitch in to do the cleaning, the the cleanup after. But still, not everyone is comfortable allowing others to clean their house. Moving the gifts is not as hard as cleaning.

i might guess she has a reason she thinks it's a bad idea but doesn't want to make waves. So be kind to the pregnant woman! Imagine if she posted here saying "my friend wants to have it at my house!" - she might get some sympathy.
#18 of 18 Old 03-12-2005, 02:18 PM

All of the showers I have been to in recent years were at the mothers house. Its just easier to say its at so and so's house and everyone knows where that is instead of trying to give directions to every single person coming. This city is huge and directions would be different based on the area you live in. So here I think its the norm. Never even crossed my mind that it wouldn't be proper. Guess it all depends on where you live! How funny.

michelle

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page