how intense can braxton hicks really be? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-17-2005, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am 35.4 weeks, and have been having very intense bxh the past week or so. Very! I wouldn't say they are painful exactly, but borderline. They are definetly quite .... strong, a very very tight uncomfortable feeling, and I am feeling the crampiness down low low just around and above my pubic bone, unlike the usual braxton hicks which are up high in the belly.
The past few nights, they have woken me up with the borderline painful really intense, low ones.
Does that happen with bxh??
I probably have at LEAST 6 per hour, every hour (waking hours) and those are the ones I notice. There are probably more, but with toddler and life, I don't realize they are going on all the time. They're just so frequent and strong. My MW said it's not a big deal, but that the low feeling crampiness during them makes her wonder a bit. I have been drinking a TON of water. An absolute ton. Probably at least the equivilant of 10 12-oz glasses a day between my water and tea. I'm certain that it's not dehydration cramps.
Thoughts??
Oh, I am 35.4 today and on 35.1 I had a vaginal exam (yuck!) which was pretty rough b/c we were looking for lost garlic (which is another story in itself...) But the dr. said that I was hard and solid, not effaced or dialated in the least. I'd been having these strong bxh prior to the exam, anyways.
Any input would be appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2005, 01:41 PM

Sounds as if this could be prodromal labor. Anyone else? Perhaps maybe consider it practice labor?
Since you are drinking so much water, I agree, not dehydration labor. Good way to check that is to make sure your urine is faint or colorless.
Sounds like you are on your way!!! Hang in there.

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
Old 03-17-2005, 02:22 PM

I too have been have VERY harsh bxh for the past few weeks...I am 33.5 weeks right now. I am so unbelievably uncomfortable lately and it almost feels as though my hoo hoo is bruised it hurts that bad, from the pressure? My uterus feels as though it is tight more often during the day and night than it isn't. And this kiddo is squirmin' all over the place which doesn't help the uncomfortableness. I can only assume my OB won't check for dilation or efacement til I'm 36wks. but I might bring it up this Friday at my next appt.

I guess all we can call is preterm labor readiness...sometimes I think this kid will come early but there is no way to know. Sigh...
Old 03-17-2005, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Kristy, you do sound like you have "it" just as bad as I do! Hmm.... if not an indication of going early, it sure is odd, isn't it?! I didn't experience anything like this with my DS. With him, I felt maybe 4 bhx total, for the whole pg, and then was induced at 41.1.... but this-- this is weird.
What is prodormal labor...? I'll have to look it up.
Thanks for the insight Debstmomy.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:22 PM

Sounds like prodromal labor to me, too. I'm sorry I don't have a real definition for you, as to what it is, exactly. I can tell you that my best friend was in prodromal labor for two weeks before she finally progressed and delivered.

Hang in there, Mama, it won't last forever

ETA: Check this thread out http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ight=prodromal

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." 
Old 03-17-2005, 04:00 PM

I have always thought of prodromal labor as false labor. I like the way prodromal sound or practice labor. False labor sounds so negative, and I like keeping all negativity away in late pregnancy.
Pammidwife any thoughts????

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
Old 03-17-2005, 04:13 PM

LOL! No, Allie, I don't recall feeling this way with my last pg either (which wasn't that long ago...). And I recall being bigger too, so whatever that means. But I feel so utterly uncomfortable with this one and much more intense bxh this time! Hmmmm...

With my last pg, I was induced at 38wks. due to pre-eclampsia so labor pains came very fast for me and I didn't worry much about them b/c I was already where I needed to be. My water did break on it's own so I know what that feels like, looks like, or whatever but as far as naturally progressing labor contractions I have NO clue!

So this prodromal labor sounds like it's the same thing I've heard called false labor...and yeah, I don't like the sound of "false labor", too negative. :nana: I'll have to look it up and ask doc about it Friday.

Hang in there Allie!!!
Old 03-17-2005, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

You hang in there, too, Kristy! Your 2 will be very close together, I think you're lucky, congratulations! I am smaller this time around too. At least so far. I saw your other thread about the "other" pangs of pain.... so sorry that you are dealing with that too.
"this too shall pass...."
I was induced last pg also, so I don't really know what to expect as far as "natural" progression either. I was induced with cytotech at 41.1 weeks, and after it kicked in, boy did it kick in. So I experienced the contractions, but how it all would have panned out and started, no idea.....
I fully expect to go late this time since I did before, but this is just so odd.

Sharonanne, thanks for the link, I'll check it out now. Also glad to hear that your friend experienced this for 2 weeks before anything "real" happened.
Debstmomy, thanks for the explanation of what prodormal labor is.

User Tag List