Talk to me about C-Sections... - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 104 Old 04-20-2005, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've only gotten through the first page of posts on this topic, but it has set my mind at ease somewhat.

Right now my baby is breech and my OB had me schedule a c-section, with the hopes of canceling. I've still got time to turn him.

Amy at Stone Fence Farm
:
#92 of 104 Old 04-20-2005, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucysmama
OTF, I don't get this: since elective cesareans are riskier for healthy moms and babies, I am wondering why exactly you are advocating that women should have that choice. Do you think it's ethical to let women subject their fetuses to stastically significantly higher risks because they want to plan a vacation around it? I'm for choice too, but when women put convienience above the welfare of their unborn babies, I think a line should be drawn.
Why? for the same reason I think women should be allowed to have abortions. Their bodies, their babies, and a lot of abortions are done for convenience. Last I checked women can have late term abortions, so why shouldn't they be able to birth the way they want too. Once you began policing one choice, it will filter into others. As I said I equally support all birth choices -- thats the nature of being prochoice (whether I agree with it or not)
#93 of 104 Old 04-20-2005, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFence
Why? ....so why shouldn't they be able to birth the way they want too. Once you began policing one choice, it will filter into others. As I said I equally support all birth choices -- thats the nature of being prochoice (whether I agree with it or not)
Yes, yes, YES! That's the riddle in being prochoice. It's choice. For everyone. Not "but, except, unless or however." And YES to policing one leading to policing another. I believe homebirth is safest. Plenty of people think I am endangering my health and my baby's by homebirthing. Maybe I am, even, but it is MY choice, MY body and MY baby. I have a right to healthcare that supports and safeguards my choices, whatever they are.

To the OP: since you are planning a cesarean, you have time to check out the situation you want. Really look at those less-than-great nurses and see what *you* think of the atmosphere. Really research the OBs in your area, maybe even finding one at the hospital you'd prefer. There is an article called "humanizing cesarean birth" by an OB now retired. While I doubt you could find someone to go *that* far, it is a lovely article and again, since you are planning the cesarean you have the advantage of being able to demand what you want and get as close to it as possible.
#94 of 104 Old 04-20-2005, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Hey LizD There are only TWO doctors in this town who will deliver babies. I have seen both : That's the problem ...tons of pg woman, and not enough doctors or midwives to deliver them. Oh, wait, we don't have midwives or doulas here They have this beautiful birthing center at the hospital, but women have to drive an hours worth or more to deliver somewhere else, because there are simply not enough people here delivering babies. Its a shame really: And the nurses at my town's hospital are exceptional. They are the kind of nurses who treat you like you are somebody rather than just another body they have to tend to. Your babies are fawned over and they are so helpful if you need to rest. I plan to visit the city's hospital where I may have to deliver just to get a feel for the place. Who knows?

ps-obviously Homebirth isn't for me, but I always wanted to do it, and I applaud any woman empowered enough and healthy enough for it

Mommy to five wonderful earthlings, and one on the way supporter Humble Wife and Mother Learning to live through Jesus!
#95 of 104 Old 04-20-2005, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabugx3
Hey LizD There are only TWO doctors in this town who will deliver babies. I have seen both :ick That's the problem with this town...tons of pg woman, and not enough doctors to deliver them. No midmives, nor doulas, etc. They have this beautiful birthing center at the hospital, but women have to drive an hours worth or more to deliver somewhere else, because there are simply not enough people here delivering babies. Its a shame really: And the nurses at my town's hospital are exceptional. They are the kind of nurses who treat you like you are somebody rather than just another body they have to tend to. Your babies are fawned over and they are so helpful if you need to rest. I plan to visit the city's hospital where I may have to deliver just to get a feel for the place. Who knows?
Well, again, an advantage to the scheduled surgery is you can even travel farther than, say, someone planning to labor would be comfortable doing. In other words, if someone wanting a natural birth needs to be in another state, she has to allow that huge window of time around the due date. Since you are scheduling, perhaps the nuisance of being far from home will be small in comparison to getting care you are happier with.

Since you will be seeing the OB for a pretty short time (by that I mean in terms of the delivery) and the hospital care, as you know, is really a much larger chunk of your birthing experience, you could consider the comfort of the nurses and maternity ward, as well as being in your home town, as perhaps being worth a less-than-ideal experience with the OB. Perhaps over time you and one of the docs have potential to warm up to one another?

It also crosses my mind that if, say, you should begin labor early, or some other minor "emergency," you might end up delivering your baby at your local hospital with one of these OBs performing the surgery anyway. In case of such an eventuality, you might prefer to be familiar with the doctors and hospital, and have them at least familiar with your plans and ideals, if not entirely supportive. I think for many homebirthers that's the hard part about transferring to obstetrical care- you are now in the hands of a total stranger, to whom you are also a total stranger. Continuity of care can make an enormous difference in outcome and satisfaction.

Keep us posted- as you can see many have taken a keen interest!
#96 of 104 Old 04-20-2005, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Will do

Mommy to five wonderful earthlings, and one on the way supporter Humble Wife and Mother Learning to live through Jesus!
#97 of 104 Old 04-20-2005, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Here is the link to the birthlove site, which has pages of information for planning a great cesarean birth: http://www.birthlove.com. I subscribed to the site while I was planning and found it worth the money.

I would definitely travel out of town to have a good cesarean birth experience. In fact, I used that willingness to change hospitals or even cities to my advantage in the negotiation process with the hospital. It was my way or the highway.

I think the OP was not asking for a political discussion regarding whether or not she should have a cesarean section. I could be wrong, but that's just my perception. I don't think she should have to justify her decision to the members of this board.

I do know from hard experience that my own second cesarean was called "elective" but it did not feel very elective to me. My OB explained that that term has different meanings in different contexts. FWIW, I did contact one midwife near the end of my pregnancy and explain my birth history and the reason for my ob's decision to go with a cesarean. That midwife told me that she might have considered taking me early in pregnancy, but she could not accept me at 37 weeks with a medical history like mine, that it would not be a safe choice for me or the baby.

I was very resistant to having a cesarean for the second birth because the first experience had been so bad. I started with midwives and ended up with a cesarean. But the second was much better than the first, mostly because I planned and researched on my own and then advocated for my baby and me to have the best cesarean birth possible. They did not "let" me hold her in the OR, but other than that, they did every other thing. And Rosie was held on my husband's bare chest in the OR while they closed my incision.

If you think you are going to have a cesarean, plan early and it can be a good experience.
#98 of 104 Old 04-21-2005, 03:20 AM

I was one of those people that stayed awake often during my pregnancy staring at the ceiling thinking oh my God I might have to have a c-section and now there is no way out! (just scared of surgery - thrilled to be pregnant though).

I did everything I knew of to avoid a c-section. I did birthing classes, highered a doula, learned different labor positions, wrote a birth plan, did kegels, used the birthing ball. I went 6 days overdue. I went into labor - blah blah blah didn't progress (not even to 1 cm after 10 hours of contrax 1 minute apart). My dd was getting into distress so they had to do a c-section. I SWEAR to you that it was over very very very very fast! I did not even know that they had made the incision and then I felt the release of pressure as they pulled her out. It all happened so fast it was over very very quickly. I think the whole thing takes about 45 minutes. My doula and my husband went in with me and talked to me and held my hand (I highly recommend having someone in there with you to offer you emotional support).

I had the bikini line incision and I barely have a scar. After the first couple of months all I had was a pink line that is at the very top of my pubic hair (in the crease). She is 32months now and it is kinda white now but blends in - it is not a bad scar at all - you really barely can see it. It is covered my my panties even.

The healing - I won't lie. It hurts afterward. You are going to hurt. I nursed my baby and gladly took all the drugs they offered me and I would do it again because I know (done research) that the very minute amount of the medication that gets into mother's milk is NOTHING compared the the wonderful benefits mommy milk can provide (that is a different discussion though - just want you to know that in case you plan to nurse). Every woman is different I know but I have watched women I know climb stairs and get right out of bed a day or two after giving vaginal birth. To get out of bed I had to roll to my knees and get my legs off the bed - this is very common with c-sec because of abdomen muscles have been cut. I know other women that had c-sections that went home on Tylenol or nothing at all. It depends on the woman and her threshold for pain. I say get all the drugs you can and don't look back

Seriously though - don't be afraid to get the drugs - you will be much happier and it will be easier for you to deal with life and your other child if you are not in pain. YOu will have to do what you have to do. It is manageable and you will do fine!

Good luck to you!
#99 of 104 Old 04-21-2005, 11:09 PM

Oh! Babydoll made me remember! It hurt my uterus BADLY to nurse! You know how it contracts while nursing. Well, after being cut, that really hurt me. I just wanted to prepare you! Most books don't mention that.

I personally only took Motrin even though it hurt like hell for the first week. I wanted to be mentally present. With my first section, I took the narcotics and my memories from those days are fuzzy or missing. But I remember every detail of my son's first days.

I also agree it is very very difficult to get in and out of the hospital beds. I couldn't do it without help for 36 hours. If you can, get someone to stay with you in the hospital to hold the baby while you get in and out of bed, go potty, etc.
#100 of 104 Old 04-21-2005, 11:20 PM

Babydoll, your story is very similar to mine!

I never ever wanted, dreamed and totally feared a c-section. I still wise I could have had the experience of natural childbirth. (I read hawkfeather's birth story and weep. i would love to have had that experience.)

Instead, I have three healthy boys, none of which I would have without c's! I have spoken with and coached numerous friends through c's (mostly unexpected) since. Somehow, I believe it is my calling; what I can give back.
#101 of 104 Old 04-28-2005, 05:13 PM

Burritomama and/or anyone else:
I just found this thread and haven't got through it all (it's really good one!), but my question for you is about your yoga practice post-cesarean.
When were you able to do yoga again? What kind did you do? Were you able to relax into it without feeling like your insides might rip at any moment? I have practiced yoga for years, but since my unplanned cesarean in February, I have not been able to practice--at least not in a way that felt good. One of my yoga instructors recently suggested I wait 6 months after the surgery before trying to get back into my practice. THis really bums me out since yoga is the way I've always coped physically and mentally with anything
Any ideas??
#102 of 104 Old 04-28-2005, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babydoll
I was one of those people that stayed awake often during my pregnancy staring at the ceiling thinking oh my God I might have to have a c-section and now there is no way out! (just scared of surgery - thrilled to be pregnant though).

I SWEAR to you that it was over very very very very fast! I did not even know that they had made the incision and then I felt the release of pressure as they pulled her out. It all happened so fast it was over very very quickly. I think the whole thing takes about 45 minutes. My doula and my husband went in with me and talked to me and held my hand (I highly recommend having someone in there with you to offer you emotional support).
oh I can so relate. mine went so fast they were holding up ds and I didn't even know I had been cut (I think I have watched tooo many baby shows on tv where they say you will feel pressure ...I felt nothing at all)

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#103 of 104 Old 04-28-2005, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon
oh I can so relate. mine went so fast they were holding up ds and I didn't even know I had been cut (I think I have watched tooo many baby shows on tv where they say you will feel pressure ...I felt nothing at all)
A lot of it depends on what type of anesthesia you have and what type of dosing of the medication you have. With an epidural, you generally *will* feel pulling, tugging and pressure, but not pain. With a spinal, you generally won't feel a thing. You get that 'dead from the chest down' feeling.
#104 of 104 Old 04-28-2005, 11:32 PM

I had an epidural and really didn't feel anything. It was so darn fast for me too!! My son actually cried out before they got him out!! (Shoulda known then he wouldn't be a good sleeper, as it was nearly midnight! LOL). I'm not sure how much I didn't feel vs. how much I just wanted to see him and wasn't really paying attention, though.

azmama - I am new to yoga, so no true advice, but from my limited understanding (and very non-flexible body) can't you simply avoid some of the poses/stretches that work that specific area? I mean, I know you use the core a lot, but I've been doing some prenatal yoga that seems to more avoid the ab area and concentrate on pelvic, leg, back, etc. Perhaps even a pre/post natal program would help for the next couple of months??

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page