Motrin while pregnant? (quick please) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 04-06-2005, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is Motrin safe to take while pregnant? I know it is safe while nursing, but I know there are some things that are safe while nursing but not while pregnant. I am getting a massive head ach, that could possibly turn into a mild migrain. I would normally take a 800mg Motrin with this kind of headach, but I don't want to take it if I shouldn't while pregnant.

Also, does anyone have a list of meds that are safe while pregnant? I just got the one for BFing, but I don't know were my one is for pregnancy.

Thanks so much!

P.S. Tylenol does nothing for this type of headach.
#2 of 14 Old 04-06-2005, 05:43 PM

I'm sorry you have such a bad headache! They're no fun, esp. while pregnant.

Safefetus.com is a great online resource for drug safety during pregnancy. Here's what it says about Motrin:
http://www.safefetus.com/DrugDetail....n&TradeId=4069

HTH, and feel better soon!
#3 of 14 Old 04-06-2005, 05:45 PM

No motrin during pregnancy. Especially in the 1st and 3rd trimesters. Hope you feel better.

Patti
#4 of 14 Old 04-06-2005, 06:00 PM

I've also heard yes for BFing no for pg.
#5 of 14 Old 04-06-2005, 06:25 PM

PP are right... motrin is ibuprofen which is not good during pregnancy... it sucks too... that's usually the only thing that helps my headaches too.
#6 of 14 Old 04-06-2005, 06:34 PM

Nope. My dr. also said no motrin during pg.
#7 of 14 Old 04-06-2005, 06:37 PM

Have you tried coffee? and an ice pack on your head?

If I down some strong coffee (I don't drink it otherwise) and lie down in a dark, quiet room with an ice pack, it gives some comfort.
Exedrin Migraine was my best friend for migraines, but I just stocked some Exedrin Tension since it's only the acetominiphen & caffeine, no aspirin.

Hope you're feeling better!
Headaches blow.

DIYer mama to DD 11/00 and DS 6/05- both intact, naturally!
...missing Mothering Magazine...

#8 of 14 Old 04-06-2005, 07:19 PM

Dr. Hale says, it's a B in the first and second trimesters and a D in the third (tylenol is a B throughout)
This is a really good reference on common OTC meds for Bfing and PG:
http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/...oved-meds.html
#9 of 14 Old 04-06-2005, 07:52 PM

I had a killer sinus infection recently and the only thing that touched it was Advil. Dr recommended it over tylenol actually. For migraines nothing works for me. I usually keep the house very dark and use migraine ice and drink coffee while trying not to move too much.

Hope you feel better soon!

Michelle

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#10 of 14 Old 04-06-2005, 08:07 PM

Advil is dangerous in the third trimester, so for that reason, common lore is to avoid it altogether. It's B-class for the first and second trimesters, though, which means it's safe to take at that time.
#11 of 14 Old 04-06-2005, 09:26 PM

Im sorta freaking out right now....I am in my third trimester and have taken advil many times in the last couple weeks, including this morning (have been sick) because I was told 6 years ago when I was pregnant with DD that there was no risk of it. Obviously new studies have proven something to put it in a class D and you can bet I wont touch ibuprofin again, but Im really freaking out because I can't believe I didn't know this before now. Anyway, my question is: What is the RISK of taking Ibuprofin in the 3rd trimester? Im not challenging this, but I just want to know really badly, what risk I have put my baby at. I have tried to google this but all I can find is advice to not take advil in the third trimester but nothing to tell me WHY. Does anyone know?
I would be so grateful if anyone can help me out here....in the meantime Im going to go meditate and think positive thoughts and try to quit freaking out.....
#12 of 14 Old 04-06-2005, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies! I ended up not needing anything. The headach eventually went away. I know now that it is just because I am really tired. When my body is tired I get headaches, then if I don't physically lay down then the headach goes away and I get pains in my side. When I lay down the pain goes away. When I stand up or sit up the pain comes back. I was told by a Chinese Herbalist that it is an inflammed rib. When my body doesn't get enough rest the tissue around the rib gets inflammed, when I lay down the pressure is off so the pain goes away. It's really wierd but luckily pretty easy to deal with. I just lay down for 10 - 20 mintues and I am fine.

Anyways, long story even longer thanks for the link. I looked on Kellymom.com but didn't see it at first, and was sort of in a rush. I will book mark that page for future reference.
#13 of 14 Old 04-06-2005, 11:15 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial
Anyway, my question is: What is the RISK of taking Ibuprofin in the 3rd trimester? Im not challenging this, but I just want to know really badly, what risk I have put my baby at. I have tried to google this but all I can find is advice to not take advil in the third trimester but nothing to tell me WHY. Does anyone know?
What I've heard is intracranial bleeding or something like that. I read that somewhere when I was pregnant with Molly, but I don't remember now. I had a pregnancy and conception planning book, so it might have been there. I wonder if Hale's says why for pregnancy. I'll try and find out.
#14 of 14 Old 04-06-2005, 11:53 PM

A good tip for one-sided migraines. Next time youget one try this. Lie down with an ice-pack on the side of your head the pain is on, but also position it or use another pack on the massiter/jaw muscle of that same side. Have the pack on the jaw and through the temple. You will feel a freezing of the teeth and the cold will hurt somewhat in your teeth but it does help - well - sometimes anyway.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page