Anyone had pulse diagnosis to reveal gender? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 04-06-2005, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had acupuncture today as treatment for my insomnia...the woman took my pulse and asked me if I know the gender. We have decided not to get an ultrasound so I wasn't sure if I wanted her to tell me but while I was saying maybe she could write it down and then I could talk about it with dh...she blurted out that she was getting a boy pulse. This is pretty much what we thought we are having...but I don't know how accurate pulse diagnosis is. Anyoen know?

"We shape the clay into a pot but it is the emptiness inside that holds whatever we want" Lao Tzu
#2 of 13 Old 04-06-2005, 09:16 PM

Mt accupuncturist claims he is usually right but he was wrong with me. I don't know actual statistics though.
#3 of 13 Old 04-06-2005, 09:30 PM

sounds silly to me, but what do i know!!
#4 of 13 Old 04-06-2005, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

She said if your pulse is stronger on your left wrist it indicates boy and if they are the same or stronger on the right side it indicates girl.

"We shape the clay into a pot but it is the emptiness inside that holds whatever we want" Lao Tzu
#5 of 13 Old 04-06-2005, 09:49 PM

Im an acupuncturist and really I wouldn't hold too much stock in it. If the practitioner is really good and has felt numerous pregnancy pulses then s/he might get a good reading. The theory behind it makes some sense but our pulses change so much and I don't feel that the theory really takes into account health issues that affect the pulse. Just think of it as fun, but don't assume it is correct.
#6 of 13 Old 04-06-2005, 09:49 PM

I'd never heard of that... I just checked my pulse though and it's the same strength in each wrist, and we ARE having a girl... hmmmmmmmmmm........
#7 of 13 Old 04-06-2005, 10:00 PM

I think your pulse is usually stronger on the hand you favor. I used to draw blood gasses when I was a CPFT and for those you draw blood out of an artery. Usually you use the radial artery which is the one the accupunturist feels for to determine sex, and I almost always found the pulse on the hand the patient favored/used more to be stronger. That is just my experience though. And the pulse on my right hand is always considerably stronger.
#8 of 13 Old 04-06-2005, 10:41 PM

That makes sense Kimberly since my vein is so much more prominent in my dominant arm. This sounds much like the theory of heartrate determining boy or girl. I don't put any stock in that one either.
#9 of 13 Old 04-07-2005, 12:01 AM

I don't know, though... My acupuncturist diagnosed me as pregnant five days before the HPT came up postive because she said I had a "Pregnant Pulse". She hasn't offered to guess the sex yet, and I haven't asked, but now I'm getting all curious. Still 8 weeks is a little early to be worrying about that.

Spending all of my money and time on this wild, wild life.
#10 of 13 Old 04-07-2005, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belleweather
I don't know, though... My acupuncturist diagnosed me as pregnant five days before the HPT came up postive because she said I had a "Pregnant Pulse". She hasn't offered to guess the sex yet, and I haven't asked, but now I'm getting all curious. Still 8 weeks is a little early to be worrying about that.
A pregnancy pulse is by far easier to feel than determining sex. It is what we call a slippery pulse, it feels really full and hits each finger after the other. Feeling for the sex is by far more complicated than feeling if one side is stronger than the other.
#11 of 13 Old 04-07-2005, 09:25 AM

I had my pulse taken by 6 accupuncturists....4 advanced students, 2 teachers. Half said boy, half said girl!! :LOL

Kristina; wife to Max, Mom to Tristan (17) and Zackariah (7) and Lillian (5)
#12 of 13 Old 04-07-2005, 03:35 PM

Pulse diagnosis can actually be very accurate for gender determination. In a peer-reviewed study of gender prediction by TCM practitioners in China, gender prediction was correct in 83.5% of the cases. See Peng and Huang, Journal of Biosocial Science, (1999), 31, 487-503.
#13 of 13 Old 04-07-2005, 05:06 PM

Wow, I never heard of this but even for fun it sounds interesting. If we weren't down to the last couple of weeks, I'd try it to see how accurate it'd for us.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page