IBS and Pregnancy? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-13-2005, 02:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone here had/have IBS in pregnancy (Irritable Bowel Syndrome)? My main symptoms right now are horrific gas pains and alternating constipation/diarrhea. I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't sleep.

I haven't actually had a flare-up with it since the birth of DD five years ago.

Any suggestions?
#2 of 6 Old 04-13-2005, 04:59 AM

I have IBS normally, but it seems to be less intense for me during pregnancy. Something that really helped me pre-pregnancy was a book called Eating for IBS by Heather Van Vorous. It has dietary guidelines and recipes. You'd need to modify the diet a bit to make sure you get all the nutrients and calories you need while you're pregnant, but it should be really helpful. She has a website too where you can get the gist of how to eat for IBS: http://www.helpforibs.com/. I know there are women in those forums who are pregnant or TTC, so you might check it out.

The advice that was most helpful to me was to stay away from fatty foods, especially if you haven't eaten in a while, and drink lots of strong, hot peppermint tea.
#3 of 6 Old 04-13-2005, 09:24 AM

I've had IBS most of my life, although it was far worse in my 20s than it is now, in my 30s. When I was pg with DD, it didn't bother me at all. But already with this pregnancy, I'm having a fair bit of trouble. I get the horrible cramps and feel like I'm going to have to run for the bathroom : . I've had the pains in the belly too, which is even worse now, because it makes me worry that it's the baby (but after two m/c, I can tell the difference).

I think it's bad for me now because I have much more morning sickness with this pg, and the only things I can find to eat that don't make me gag are things that I really shouldn't eat...like dairy. I've got to try to make some changes, and I'm hoping it will improve.
#4 of 6 Old 04-13-2005, 10:46 AM

I don't have IBS, but I'm a big fan of the book, Ten Essential Herbs, by Lalitha Thomas.
She writes at length about the value of Slippery Elm bark powder for all sorts of digestive/intestinal troubles, including those caused by IBS and Crohn's disease.
It's easy to find at coops/health food stores and tastes like a cousin to oatmeal. She says to mix a spoonful in some water and drink several times a day to promote regularity and healing of the intestines.

Sorry you're going through this.

DIYer mama to DD 11/00 and DS 6/05- both intact, naturally!
...missing Mothering Magazine...

#5 of 6 Old 04-13-2005, 04:16 PM

I too suffer with IBS. The only thing that really works for me is taking Metamucil, daily. It really helps balance me out. If I do not take it for a few days I get really out of whack.

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
#6 of 6 Old 04-13-2005, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katybeth
I have IBS normally, but it seems to be less intense for me during pregnancy.
i had it for a few years, until i got pregnant with my first munchkin - and my symptoms haven't returned in going on five years :::knock on wood:::: i am guessing that there was a strong stress component to my eating habits and symptoms that serious lifestyle changes after becoming pregnant really helped.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page