how to pass the 1 hour glucose test? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-17-2005, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
has anyone had success eating a certain way the week or so before their one hour glucose test and passing it?

I took the one hour with my first pg, and didn't pass, but did pass the second by not eating any refined flours or sugars, and watching other types of carbs even more so than usual. I don't know if it helped or not for sure, or if I would have passed it anyway.

This time, I don't want to even bother with the 3 hour, considering I have a toddler to take care of now.

Does anyone know of a "diet" to do before the test that will help blood sugars stay more stable or whatever it is they're looking for?

thanks a bunch.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 04-17-2005, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well, I'd advise NOT doing it, but it sounds like you want to know.

That said, if you feel it's an accurate test (which it's really not), why would you try to skew the results? Wouldn't it be better to have it reflect what you're really eating?

There is so much disagreement and controversy about the GTT. I personally wouldnt' take it myself. I'd rather use a glucometer to get an idea of how my blood sugars really are without loading me and my baby up with a horrendous amount of glucose.

There are some great threads (one that's active right now, in fact) about the debate surrounding this test.
#3 of 9 Old 04-17-2005, 09:53 PM

Well you want the test to be accurate not to trick it into thinking you may not have gestational diabetes which is the purpose of the test. By eating in a manner you would not normally eat a week before or for whatever amount of time and not continuing to eat that way will be of no benefit to your health and your babies. It's not like a school test you want to try and cheat to pass, this is your health and you need to know if you are at risk or not. What you stated about "not eating any refined flours or sugars, and watching other types of carbs" should already be a part of your normal eating habits and not just something you do to try and pass a glucose screening so just keep that in mind and hopefully you'll pass the test.
#4 of 9 Old 04-18-2005, 01:47 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I may be wrong, but I took the GTT one hour test when I was NOT pregnant since my maternal grandfather had diabetes and died from complications from the disease. This was when I was in college, and I went to the health center.

On the paper I was given, the directions said to eat lots of sugary foods forty-eight hours before the test to prime the insulin flow in the body. This was 1975.

The doctor did not like the result - 121, so I was scheduled for the five hour test, which was grueling...I scored a 85 on that one, and then I was scheduled for another one in six months...which I passed.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#5 of 9 Old 04-18-2005, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the replies. I do actually eat very well on a daily basis. I eat whole grains, lean meats, dairy, veggies/fruits etc. However, when I'm pregnant my cravings do get the best of me, and I have regular white sugar several times a week.

Like I said in my post, I flunked the one hour, but passed the 3 hour, and I'd probably pass the 3 hour this time. I just didn't want to even get to the 3 hour.

I'm going to eat like normal this week, but just really watch the candy, which I should be doing anyway...

thanks again for all your help!
#6 of 9 Old 04-18-2005, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydogcafe
I have regular white sugar several times a week.
Is there no way you can start using Turbinado or pure cane sugar in place of white? As white sugar is really the bottom of the barrel when it comes to sugar.
#7 of 9 Old 04-18-2005, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

veggigoddess, hi! I do actually use organic cane sugar for my tea. But, my addiction to skittles is taking over, and unfortunately they don't make those with organic cane sugar!!!

i'm doing great today, no sugar of any kind yet, just tons of veggies and yogurt so far, some nuts and fruit, plus some ground turkey for supper etc. I'm planning on sticking to this the rest of the pregnancy as long as my cravings agree with me. thanks again!!
#8 of 9 Old 04-18-2005, 07:20 PM

Another vote for skipping it all-together.

You can't fail the tests you don't take!

-Angela
#9 of 9 Old 04-19-2005, 12:45 AM

The list my midwife gave me was to not drink any sodas or juice in the few hours before taking it because they can skew the results of the test, but to eat starchyish foods like a granola bar or something like that if you're hungry and want a snack... to just in general eat like you normally would, just don't gorge on candy bars or soda/juice right before taking it 'cause then your sugar levels will be kinda out of whack.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page