Name too popular? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-01-2005, 06:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What about Mirabelle? (it's French, means plum) Or Mirabella (Italian)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2005, 07:24 PM

I think the reason we think Madeline is more popular than the SS site shows is because the SS site doesn't take into account all the variations on spelling. Katlyn and Caitlin are counted as two different names, but really, I mean come on, we all think, "Another Kate-Lynn" in our heads... same name, just different spelling. It's like being the Jenni in a sea of Jennys or the Sara in a sea of Sarahs. No offense meant to any Catlyns out there, once you name a baby their name becomes them and is perfect!

Anyway, I like this link for finding out popularity. It takes most of the name variations into account. Madeline is #26 there. And, Madison is #4, which they do sound very similar to me, but maybe not to everyone else. http://www.namenerds.com/uucn/top03xx.html

I konw some people go as far as to check the most popular names for their state. The SS site has that link.

Now... this is spooky http://www.namenerds.com/uucn/namequiz.html Great name profile quiz. It gives you a ton of names and you usually like 90% of them! Check it out!

Either way, wishing you a warm happy pregnancy and a healthy joyous babe with JUST the right name for him or her... regardless of where it stands on any list!

Spark and her four firecrackers.
Old 05-01-2005, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm in Atlanta. Madeline is pretty common here after Olivia, Isabelle and Sophie.

Use that social security site and ferret the names out at your local pre-schools.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:02 PM

Here's a couple of other useful name sites.

http://www.babynamewizard.com has an amazing interactive jave chart called the Name Voyager that shows name popularity trending over 100 years.

http://bigbadbabynames.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl
This spinoff of the Baby's Named a Bad Bad Thing blog is like heaven for people who like classic names. Their advice board might be really useful. I would say Maya for example, though I love it, is trendy. Madeline, while somewhat popular, isn't so outrageously (like, say Emma and Emily) that it would rule it out for me. It has stayed in the top 500 for over 100 years, but not yet cracking the top 50, although more popular in the last 10 years. Kinda defines classic for me. It might go higher, but I doubt with a record like that it will be solely associated with a certain decade.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greensleeves
It might vary by region--but it seems like just about every 5th little girl here in my area of California is named either Madison or Madeline. And they are mostly nicknamed Maddie.
We must live in the same area of California!
Old 05-02-2005, 12:45 AM

I wanted to name Madeline, but was vetoed by the other parent. I like it.

When I was growing up 'Emily' was a very popular name according to census, etc., but I have only known ONE Emily in my whole life. Name what you like, just spell it normally!
Old 05-02-2005, 01:14 PM
Pom

Babycenter has popl names for 2004 and 2003...they list Madeleine at #11.

But you know, our DD's name was around 35 or 58 depending on the list you looked at when she was born in 2001, and now her name is at #12...so whatchagonna do?

My mom swore no one had my name when I was born and people gave her flack for it...but it was THE name for the era. Doh!
Old 05-06-2005, 02:57 PM

SS just released the new listings and Madeline became ever so slightly less popular this year dropped to 62 from 60. Madelyn became slightly more popular going from 115 to 111. There are alternate spellings as others have mentioned but even so those are the two most popular versions and the other variants are waaay down there (next most popular similar name is Madeleine at 332 and then Madelynn at 550). I don't see how you could possibly get to 29 just by adding them together and I do think they are different names--Mady-line and Mady-lynn. I know there are other counts out there but I tend to rely on SS the most since it's never entirely clear to me how definitive the other sites' data are.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:38 PM

http://www.babynamewizard.com/blog/a...g-archive.html

great blog entry on the "fake" babycenter list. See the entry for January 24, 2005. In part:

"There are no Spanish names on the list.
In 2003, America's real top 100 boys' names included:
Alejandro, Antonio, Carlos, Diego, Jesus, José, Juan, Luis, and Miguel.
Not a one made Babycenter's list, in 2003 or 2004.
Whatever Babycenter is reporting on, it isn't America's babies. Their press release gives no clue where the names came from or how they were gathered. At best, they're names chosen by a self-selected sample of the kind of people who like Babycenter. (And I count myself among those, by the way.) We know it's a radically skewed sample, excluding Latino parents among others. At worst, we don't know that the babies they're reporting on even exist, since anyone can post to a public web site...any number of times."
Old 05-06-2005, 04:47 PM

Just to be clear (which maybe I was but just in case :LOL ) I was referring to the new Social Security list which did just come out today (apparently they do it just before Mother's Day every year).

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7759807/
Old 05-06-2005, 05:48 PM

It was clear to me! :LOL It just reminded me I wanted to post that blog link after Pom's reference to the babycenter list. The SSA has so many cool features for name research added in the last year or so. http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/ is the direct link in case anyone misses it in the MSN article.
Old 05-07-2005, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pom

But you know, our DD's name was around 35 or 58 depending on the list you looked at when she was born in 2001, and now her name is at #12...so whatchagonna do?

My mom swore no one had my name when I was born and people gave her flack for it...but it was THE name for the era. Doh!
Yup, my mom named me Kimberly thinking she was being soooo original. She thought my name would be so unique. The only place she had heard it was the Kimberly diamond mines. She had never heard of it for a name of a person before (she wasn't from this country though). It was very popular as I was growing up.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:05 PM

We have Mia on our short list. I didnt see it listed yet. I like different but not weird names.

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
Old 05-09-2005, 12:10 AM

Old 05-09-2005, 12:15 AM

my dd is Marlena.

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
Old 05-09-2005, 10:28 AM

I have a Madeline (Maddie) and she has been in preschool for 2 years and several other class activities and has been the only Madeline. There are several Madisons though.

I also LOVE the name Magdaline. That was my first choice but hubby vetoed.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:28 AM
bec

I love the name Madeline. Sadly, it falls under our ex-pet rule. Our family dog when I was growing up was Madeline.

We are currently considering Margaret (Maggie as a nickname) for our girl name.

We've not been concerned about popularity, just gone with names we've loved. My first is Katherine (Katie) as it is a family name. Our second is Emily because I've been in love with it since I was about 4.

Bec

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
Old 05-11-2005, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Bumping my own thread with a new idea...

Miriam Elizabeth

And DH really likes...

Audra Kiyomi

which does not fit any of our "rules." :LOL

Of course, with Miriam, I think I'd have to forego Joseph for a boy, as it's a bit close to Mary and Joseph, which is a little cutesy for me.

Apparently, Joseph is VERY popular - ranked 6 in 2003, and pretty much around 6 or 7 in popularity since 1900. BTW, did I mention how in love I am with Name Voyager? It's my new favorite toy!

...the cuties in my avatar are my wonderful, c-section born, fully vaccinated sweethearts...
Old 05-11-2005, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mara
Yup, my mom named me Kimberly thinking she was being soooo original. She thought my name would be so unique. The only place she had heard it was the Kimberly diamond mines. She had never heard of it for a name of a person before (she wasn't from this country though). It was very popular as I was growing up.
I was born in 1969. My parents named me Kimberly Anne. There were 5 Kimberly Ann(e)'s in my 12th grade English class.

My mother really wanted to name me Kimberly Leigh (say that out loud) I would have been Lee-Lee for life THEN when I was pregnant with our second boy, I really liked the name Reece. DH liked Zachary. I suggested combining the names, Zachary Reece. (say *that* out loud) He would have been Ree-Ree :LOL
Old 05-11-2005, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Miriam is lovely.

I would hesitate on Audra just because she'll have to spell it all her life. Always choose a name with a basic spelling. Just trust me on this. My Mom goofed and I still have to spell my name for everyone, everywhere I go. Yuck.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:51 PM

Miriam is pretty and so unique.
I wouldn't so much go with Madeline, even though I think it's a lovely name, just b/c of the Madison phenomenon. I know, it's a pain. I like the name Emma, but I just can't do it, because everyone else likes it too. (My girl name is Grace, which used to be unique, but apparently it's getting very popular in the US).

My fave M name is Maria.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:49 PM

I love Miriam.

My granny's name is Mercy. I plan to use that if I ever have a girl, and it would go well with Elizabeth.

I also like:

Mathilda/Matilda
Magdelena/Magdelene
Martha
Manya (pron: Mahnya, it is an old nickname for Marie or Maria)

I also do really like Madeline as well
Old 05-12-2005, 05:04 PM

Madeline is pretty common....

It also has the huge issue of how do you spell it and how do you pronounce it. I have friends with daughters named Madeline (and its variations) and I ALWAYS call every one of them Maddie because I cannot remember who is Mad-uh-lyn and who is Mad-uh-line. If you use it, please spell it ending in "lyn" if that is how you want it pronounced.

I LOVE Meredith!!!!!!!!!! I agree that you can't use Elizabeth with it but having to follow two strict rules is pretty restrictive. I'd go with one or the other if it comes down to that. Rather a first name you love and no Elizabeth than one you just think is ok but goes better with Elizabeth IMO.

What about Mariah? Marissa? Megan? Mia? (really like Mia!) Miranda?

I think that only Megan goes with Elizabeth - agreeing with previous poster who didn't like the "uh" ending on the first name right next to the "uh" beginning of Elizabeth.

Sorry if this is repeated - I only got through the first page....
Old 05-12-2005, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimie
Here's how Madeline ranks over the years from the SSA site (thanks, mightymoo!):
Two problems: 1) I think those rankings count a different spelling as a different name. If you add together the different Madeline spellings, you are going to get a higher rank: 2) Names vary by region. When I went to high school in Boston, there were several Caitlyn's and Ian's in each class. Coming from the Midwest, I had never met ONE before.

That being said, I think that Madeleine does have a tremendous potential to become the next 'Jennifer' if it isn't already!
Old 05-16-2005, 04:16 AM

Madeline is a beautiful name- I know a Madeline Rose... & you can guess how I feel about Joseph~ although he is NEVER called Joey!

User Tag List