Dumping protein - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 05-01-2005, 01:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am now 12 weeks pregnant and I did a 24 hour urine a couple of weeks ago to get a baseline. It appears that I am dumping about twice as much protein as is normal. My doctor isn't too worried about it now because he said my creatin is great and I am not spilling ketones.

We are assuming this is possibly residual damage form the pre-eclampsia and HELLP. Please, just prayers that it doesn't get worse. He said he will be doing blood tests later to see how much protein I have in my blood stream to keep an eye on it.
Gossamer

Before you were conceived, I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were a minute old, I would have died for you. That is the miracle of life. ~Maureen Hawkins~
#2 of 16 Old 05-01-2005, 02:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
wow, I would think it would be too early for pre-e, but I guess not if you're being tested for it.

I am keeping you and your little bean in my prayers. I have a good feeling, though, that we'll be hearing a joyous birth story in November!
#3 of 16 Old 05-01-2005, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Any chance you got your follow up baseline before you were pregnant? When did the pre-e & HELLP start to show up in your last preg? I have heard of it showing up this early but wont docs wont admit it until like 19 weeks. Are you on the yahoogroups hellpsyndrome list?

Seriously?
#4 of 16 Old 05-01-2005, 04:02 PM

Oh Gossamer, I have followed your heartbreak and I have experienced my own.I pray to our Father in Heaven that you will bring forth a healthy child this time.
#5 of 16 Old 05-02-2005, 12:03 AM

Gossamer, are you drinking enough water? I was scolded quite vociferously by most of my midwife's office staff for having such concentrated urine at my last (24w) appointment, and they mentioned that there was protein in it. They said this was likely because I don't drink much water (and admitted it). I've quadrupled my water intake and hope all will be well at my next appointment. Give that a try if you can!

I will definitely keep you in my thoughts.
#6 of 16 Old 05-02-2005, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. No, I am not being tested for pre-e at this time. This is just a precautionary procedure to get an idea of what my baselines are in case things start looking not so good. I also got a baseline liver enzyme blood test etc.

I have had trouble drinking enough water because it just makes me so nauseous. BUt I will try to increase my intake. So far, everything looks good and there are no symptoms of pre-e creepin up on me. My bp is great, my liver enzymes are great, no swelling, no headaches, no upper quadrant pain. Now, if I can just keep it up for six more months.
Gossamer

Before you were conceived, I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were a minute old, I would have died for you. That is the miracle of life. ~Maureen Hawkins~
#7 of 16 Old 05-02-2005, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer
I have had trouble drinking enough water because it just makes me so nauseous. BUt I will try to increase my intake.
I've found that putting lemon in the water helps me to keep it down. And for a couple weeks when I couldn't keep water down at all I drank a lot of Gatorade which I found to be a lot easier than water.
#8 of 16 Old 05-02-2005, 12:43 PM

Gossamer, you know I'll have my fingers crossed for you until the day that babe is in your arms staring in your eyes.
I found the water didn't upset my tummy (ok, the only way it totally didn't upset my tummy was in IV form) as much when I put a bit of Apple Cider Vinegar in the water. That and for some reason, when nothing stayed down, I could drink Iced Tea, with lots of lemon
#9 of 16 Old 05-02-2005, 01:34 PM

Dear, sweet Gossamer, you know that there are so many mamas here praying for your health and that of your new little one. I hope that you can look back on these posts of worry and look into the eyes of your new little one and realize they were all for naught. I am praying for you every day.
#10 of 16 Old 05-02-2005, 02:34 PM

Are you eating enough protein?
#11 of 16 Old 05-02-2005, 04:10 PM

Best of luck to you. I'm with some of the other posters in thinking water is your problem. With my daughter I spilled proteins in my urine when I was pretty early in my pregnancy and the doctor told me to make sure I was eating and drinking enough. [I'll admit it too, I wasn't drinking enough at that time!]
I hope you find a good way to keep getting that water in you! Early in this pregnancy, when I'd drink juices and teas and such, I'd water them down by half [sometimes more!] to help get more water than sugars and such.
Good luck!! We'll be thinking of you!!!

heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif

#12 of 16 Old 05-02-2005, 05:53 PM

I hope everything goes well for you. Did they do any tests when you're not pregnant to compare your baseline to? Maybe you just always have higher baseline protein levels and it's just exasperated by pregnancy?

As far as the water goes, I found that adding fruit to it made it easier to drink. Or I drank a lot of Powerade or Gatorade. But drinking just straight water tends to make me nauseous as well, unless it's extremely cold. And I also do better with water that was filtered in one of those Brita pitchers than I do with regular tap water. It just tastes better to me. Good luck with everything!
#13 of 16 Old 05-02-2005, 09:19 PM

Gossamer Every day I think of you and your new little one. I will continue to pray that before you know it you are holding your healthy baby in your arms.
#14 of 16 Old 05-02-2005, 10:02 PM

I found that lemon helped with my water, too. Have you ever tried a bit of Recharge in your water for taste? It's less yucky, IMO, than the regular sports drinks.

I'm thinking of you!!! Please keep us updated on everything---we're all wishing you the very best

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#15 of 16 Old 05-02-2005, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

I have tried lemon and lime. I try to stay away from sports drinks or fruit juices because of the sugar. I have been hypoglycemic since birth so I try to stay away from sugar if possible. I think I have been eating enough protein because I have had cravings for steaks and hamburgers and red meat of all types. Thie is very unusual for me.
Thank you so much for all of your prayers and support. I will keep you updated. I go to the cardiologist to morrow for a check up on my heart.
Gossamer

#16 of 16 Old 05-02-2005, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer
I have tried lemon and lime. I try to stay away from sports drinks or fruit juices because of the sugar. I have been hypoglycemic since birth so I try to stay away from sugar if possible. I think I have been eating enough protein because I have had cravings for steaks and hamburgers and red meat of all types. Thie is very unusual for me.

Doesn't cravings mean your NOT getting enough? If your craving a lot of red meat your body is saying it needs more. You need to be getting at least 100 grams a day which is not easy.

Seriously?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page