Mothering Forum banner

what do OB's test for in blood tests

702 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Defenestrator 
#1 ·
In the typical first blood tests done (not hgc level tests) - the ones they test for AIDS and hepatitis - what else do they test? Is there a complete CBC? What about liver enzymes?

#2 ·
As I recall my first blood test included HIV, Cystic Fibrosis and a complete CBC. However, I don't know if they did anything else, I know they like to get an early baseline so they can compare later blood tests to it (like with the CBC).

#3 ·
Mine did HIV, but it was in addition to the "standard" tests...they asked if I wanted to include, I figured why not. They also offered cystic fibrosis, but I turned it down.
I know my midwife told me what they test for, but I honestly can't remember. Rh factor, I'm sure is in there somewhere, but that's easy enough.

I found this:

* Blood group
* Rhesus factor
* Rubella
* Toxoplasmosis
* Hepatitis B
* HIV
* Sickle cell disease
* Thalassaemia
* Cystic fibrosis

#6 ·
You should ask your provider what they all test for. Each state has its own mandated blood work. Here in South Dakota: full CBC, Rubella titer, Syphilis, Hep B, blood type, Rh factor, antibodies, TSH, and I think that is it. The HIV test is optional.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.