July 2003 Mamas-to-be Roll Call - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 846 Old 12-09-2002, 03:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Em, do you have the same patterns in Australia that we have here? If so, Simplicity has a really AWESOME and hip maternity pattern out full of fun peasant tops and cool flared pants. I'm going to make a couple of the tops at the very least. Funny, I posted a thread about this at another board I frequent just tonight. I didn't realize that with this pregnancy, I'll be due in the summer and I can make some really fun sundresses to wear . With Samuel, I was due in spring, but "big pregnant" in the winter months so all of my stuff is long sleeves and jeans. There weren't ANY winter patterns I liked two years ago. It's nice to see how far the maternity patterns have come. OH! Did you know you can buy a maternity panel for a couple of bucks and convert regular pants into maternity with just a few cuts and one seam? I'm not too hot at sewing pants, but converting...that I can do!

I'm feeling more and more sick as the days go on. I'm just about out of peppermint tea. I've been drinking a ton of it b/c I found with Samuel it was the only thing that helped my nausea.

Samuel has weaned. Actually, I've just stopped nursing him. He used to nurse in the morning every morning, but now I get up and get dressed before he wakes and we eat breakfast as soon as he wakes up b/c I can't manage to wait for him to nurse, I'm too sick. I don't remember the last time he nursed . I'm thinking of offering again just so I can say "I remember that last time and it was so perfect..." I know that the time has come b/c tandem nursing isn't for me, but I feel so torn about weaning him. I feel torn a lot lately. I'm an only child and I really don't know what it'll be like for him to have a sibling.
DH doesn't have a great relationship with his brother and was very pro-only child for quite some time. I was really the one who wanted this baby and now I feel bad a lot of the time that Samuel won't get to be an only like I was.

And I'm super sensitive to caffiene lately. Hence the 12:30am post. No more hot tea for me at 10pm, unless it's decaf!! It's so bad I have the shakes. Normally I don't react this way *ever* but when I'm pregnant I just can't handle the stuff. Guess that's good since I'm supposed to avoid it anyway, right :.

I'm 9w3d today and decided to break out the maternity stuff for good. I've been in them off and on, but now it's just time to admit that my pre-preg. jeans just don't fit! On Tuesday I have a MW appointment to hear the heartbeat. I need to go get my pregnancy bloodwork and my recent pap results copied from my on-base medical records (they'll do the blood workup for free, so why not?!) tomorrow. If I don't get to hear the HB on Tuesday, I'm hoping my MW will do a "quick scan" on her sono machine so that I'll know all is well. Fortunately her office has a sonographer on staff and they do all of the sonos for the homebirth community at her office every Tuesday evening. My appt. is at 4:30, so maybe he'll be there. If he's not, I'm contemplating calling the military OB clinic and saying that I'm spotting or cramping so I can have a quick sono just to see the HB. I'm totally stressed that something has gone wrong and my body just doesn't know it yet and it's hindering my ability to bond with this baby and be excited about being pregnant .

Anyway, I'm off to try to sleep and hopefully not have baby nightmares like the one last night where she came a month early and weighed 6lb 13oz!! I don't want a preemie!!

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#62 of 846 Old 12-09-2002, 03:52 AM

charmie I hear you with wanting to know all is well after losses, I had a quick scan at 8 weeks for that reason, to know there was a beating heart - I hope you will have the relief of this too - and no more nightmares

we do have Simplicity here, I'll check it out asap

e
#63 of 846 Old 12-10-2002, 04:28 PM

I just purchased the simplicity pattern today it is really cute. I was planning on making a whole new maternity wardrobe but I have been given so many great hand me downs it would be a waste of time but I am going to make a couple peasant tops. I am, however, very excited about makeing some nursing dresses for this summer. Healthy pregnancy vibes to all
#64 of 846 Old 12-10-2002, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Hey there July mamas,

Well, I went for my first prenatal appointment yesterday with my newly hired midwife. I was kinda nervous but it was great. A LONG appointment... it was 1 1/2 hours and I had to finally leave because I had another appointment, so I'll have to finish my paperwork at home and bring it in next time!

And I got to hear the baby's heartbeat!!! It was so cool. She tried for about a minute to find it and nothing, but then she found the placenta (you could hear the difference suddenly) and then Ba-BUMP Ba-BUMP Ba-BUMP rapidly - the baby swooshed by. So we "chased" him/her with the doppler and found him/her for about a minute holding still, then s/he was off! It was a great relief to hear that beating heart! There's actually someone in there! It's definately feeling more "real" now.

And in other good news, I haven't barfed in 3 1/2 days! I made it all weekend, Monday and so far today (12:40pm) without being sick, though I have felt a twinge of nausea a couple of times. Yippee! How wonderful!

It's a good week. I'm 11 weeks tomorrow!

#65 of 846 Old 12-11-2002, 05:52 PM

Madison, isn't that just the greatest feeling ever??

All of my news is in my siggy. I'm so relieved as of yesterday and feeling a TON better. I don't think I realized that I've spent the last 6 weeks or so waiting for the other shoe to drop, so to speak.

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#66 of 846 Old 12-11-2002, 06:18 PM

Hi Beauties,
This is my last day in the 11th week - woohoo! Tomorrow afternoon we go to the mw to try to hear a heartbeat.

Last night I went to the fabric store - I thought the maternity patterns were just awful - everything looked like a tent. Ending up leaving empty handed and going over to the Motherhood Maternity shop. I think they have the hippest clothes. I've had such a long gap since last baby, I gave everything away and am determined to be stylish this time! Found a couple things on the clearance rack.

I too am sleeping better at night, not so sleepy in the daytimes, and feeling better. My tummy is now undeniable. My 12yo son was looking at my belly this am and said, "Mom, are we going to have a baby brother or sister or something?" So, the cat is out of the bag as far as the bigger kids are concerned. They are just beaming, but don't want the long wait.

Eat well, all.
Mossy
#67 of 846 Old 12-11-2002, 08:00 PM

it's so good to hear everyone's good news

mossy I'm glad your kids are happily in the know

maternity clothes SUCK I can't find anything I like, they're cutesy (I'm not) or clingy or show off belly button or synthetic fabrics

patterns I should be able to check out tomorrow

e
#68 of 846 Old 12-12-2002, 09:14 AM

I just want to share with you all that I felt the baby at eleven weeks! I was quite sure about it. Lying in bed in stillness I could feel that there was occasional gas and my own blood moving...but then deep inside felt the gentle undulations of my baby. Wow, this was neat. I couldn't feel it yesterday or yet tonight (yes I am up in the middle of the night.) But I am sure I felt the babe. I read that it is not normal to feel the baby until 14 weeks or later...and I am at eleven weeks. But then I also read that the baby makes sponataneous movements from seven weeks on.

My morning sickness has been really awful and I'm counting the days to that magical twelve weeks I hear about. But I did find a homeopathic remedy that has been helpful...called "Nux Vomica." In case anyone wanted to try. I'd talk to your midwife first though.
#69 of 846 Old 12-12-2002, 10:06 AM

Cindi - I do not think you are crazy. While I didn't feel movement till much later, like 16 weeks, with my 1st and 2nd, I have felt babies 3 and 4 very early. It's hard to distinguish from my digestive system, but I have recently felt what felt like a goldfish blipping around, once or twice each day when i am sitting quietly.
Isn't it cool?

Emmaline - you're right, maternity clothes do suck. Is there anything worse than a stretch panel that shows under your shorter shirt? ugh.

Starting week 12 today. Have gained 3 lbs.

Snowy love from,
Me.
#70 of 846 Old 12-12-2002, 05:51 PM

last night was a pretty poor sleep and I had plenty of time to be aware of those little golfish flips! I thought I was hallucinating but seems it's not so extraordinary at 11 weeks - wow!

week 12 for me too today - still 2 kg lighter than pre-preg, maybe 5 lb?
#71 of 846 Old 12-12-2002, 06:01 PM

Heard a little heartbeat in my tummy today. Instant tears!

#72 of 846 Old 12-12-2002, 06:38 PM

#73 of 846 Old 12-13-2002, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

{{{moss}}}

I kinda got teary eyed, too, but I was grinning too much like a fool to care

Maternity clothes suck mud. I'm just rolling down my pants top now and folding under the buttons (which I can't do up anymore). Motherhood stuff is cute, but I hate the panel pants! I want the ones with the big wide band of belly elastic that goes under your stomach instead of over it. They are hard to find, but SO much more comfortable!

Wow, you guys are feeling movement at 11 or 12 weeks? I'll have to pay more quiet attention. Maybe I'll keep a shot of sweet juice by my bed for that middle of the night pee session, and slug one back and then wait and see if the sugar gives the babe a jolt
#74 of 846 Old 12-13-2002, 10:14 PM

Yes Madison - I think I am going to like the underbelly pants too, although my belly button does go inside-out in a big way by 9 mos! IT might need some cover.
I'm gettting by with a pair of stretchy black pants from Old Navy, not maternity. They have a wide band, low rise and are kind of flared. I got Larges so they would fit my butt, but as a result I've got a lot of room in the waist -- I think I'll be able to wear these for a while.

Mossback Meadow, posessor of the original Bubble Butt
#75 of 846 Old 12-13-2002, 10:36 PM

those underbelly pants are just about all you can get here and I find them very uncomfortable - lots of pressure - but also they're made to be very close fitting (or they'd fall off I guess) and I hate close fitting clothes anytime - maybe I'll go to the stores that sell to the Muslim ladies in my neighbourhood - voluminous long dresses?? no, I want pants and have found a floppy pants pattern - the first pair will be up and running soon (lovely lavender peached cotton drill)

e
#76 of 846 Old 12-14-2002, 11:05 AM
KFH

I LOVE those pants!!! Like the ones Japanese Weekend makes. I had a pair (hand-me-down) last time, and gave them to someone else (we weren't planning on doing this again! I LIVED in those. They're crazy expensive--$50 and up. I can't bring myself to buy them new. Does anyone know any one else that makes them cheaper?
#77 of 846 Old 12-14-2002, 11:42 AM

My dh and I were talking about the string of holiday parties we have this month. He asked me what I was going to wear. I said, "These pants of course!" pointing to the infamous black pants.
"Uh, I think a dress would be more flattering, don't you," He said. "I think you should wear a dress."
So Emma, maybe I'll go to the voluminous dress store with you.
#78 of 846 Old 12-14-2002, 10:24 PM

HI everyone it's me... Still around and alive... For the most part anyway... The nausea is still driving me crazy though.. (sigh) I guess i will just have to deal with it.. We are 8 weeks and i swear i felt the baby move Friday nite.. I swear.. It felt like little hiccups in my midsection, only from the inside.. KWIM?? This is our third so maybe I guess.. Most be one strong kid to be so little still and to have me feel it now at 8 weeks.. I go in for my 1st ob appt on Wednesday.. Then the gp are taking the 2 boys for christmas on Sat or Sunday and we come down for Chritsmas eve..

Ya know.. I 'm just rambling now so i will sign off.. Calm stomachs to everyone!!!

Warm Squishy Feelings...

Dyan

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
#79 of 846 Old 12-14-2002, 11:29 PM

I kept thinking maybe I was feeling movement too but then I had a reality check at the MW's office. My uterus is only about 1cm above my pubic bone and the flutters I'm feeling are more near my waist. I think it's just my increased blood supply to that section of my body. Only when I'm pregnant can I SEE my pulse in my abdomen!!

I have a pair of low waisted pants that I got at Motherhood for $35. I hate them b/c I can't keep them up AT ALL. I don't see how they're supposed to stay up! They are the right size b/c they fit really tight in the legs and hips (which means they won't fit for the whole pregnancy *sigh*), but they fall down at the waist. I thought they'd be better than the belly panel pants for now b/c they wouldn't fall down. WRONG. Maybe if they still fit after I've outgrown my panels I'll wear them (yes, my belly really does outgrow the panels and yours probably will too :tongue), but I'm really thinking I'm going to rely mostly on dresses, which will, of course, make me look as big as a house come July. I wish I had a scanner; I'd scan a belly pic of me the day before I went into labor with Samuel. I cannot believe how BIG I was.

Anyway, so my conclusion is that I like the belly panels better, even though I do eventually outgrow them and the drawstring in the Motherhood ones is pretty uncomfortable in early pregnancy when you have to cinch it down on your ribcage. Still, I think when I'm so big that the bottom of my belly isn't covered by my shirt, I'll want it covered by a panel, just so I don't feel over-exposed. If anyone wants to buy a pair of size L flare leg low-rise maternity pants from me, feel free to PM. I'd love to have enough cash to make my first maternity dress.

I bought the baby's first diapers the other day: two NB sized flag diapers from www.cutest-cloth-diapers.com. I also bought what I thought would be enough fabric to make 25 NB fuzzibunz. Turns out I miscalculated (sheesh! I can't even use a calculator!!) and bought enough fleece to make 15 diapers and little strips of PUL that are so little I can't make any diaper out of them *sigh*. I'll have to see if I can't sell the PUL on a fabric trade list I'm on.

Just waiting to feel those first little flutters (the baby ones, not the nausea ones!!),

#80 of 846 Old 12-16-2002, 10:39 AM

Having some pink mucous this morning - and I just heard the heartbeat a few days ago. I'm frightened!
This pregnancy has felt so real - tummy growing, little blips of beginning movement, nausea.
I never had any spotting in my full term pregnancies -- has anyone here?
I read on another thread that with successive babies it's more common, because your cervix is a little inside out and bleeds easier -- hope that's the case. I'll update later.

Mossback
Mom to Caleb, 12, Lydia, 10, Zane 6, 3 miscarriages and this little growing life, EDD July 1.
#81 of 846 Old 12-16-2002, 07:40 PM

oh dear - mossy I'm sending loads of healthy baby and healthy mama vibes - hoping everything will be fine and you can settle back into a beautiful pregnancy - take care
#82 of 846 Old 12-17-2002, 06:44 AM

mossback - how are you???
#83 of 846 Old 12-17-2002, 09:45 AM

Well, everything appears to be ok so far. The little bit of spotting stopped after a few hours, had no cramping or pain. It was not real bleeding - just pink/brown on the toilet paper - sorry to be graphic. Hope today goes better. Something similar happened one day last week, though it was only once during that day.
Talked to several friends who said don't worry.
Midwife suggests progesterone cream, that maybe my placenta isn't making enough, hence my history of 3 mcs. I don't know about that - anybody have any info? Are there side effects? How long would I use it? Dh wondered if I wanted to go to the doctor, but I'm afriad get caught in the medical whirlpool. I've had 3 beautiful homebirths and would like that again.
I don't think I could handle a miscarriage after 12 weeks and hearing the heartbeat, but I guess we don't have a choice. I'm just thankful for every day that this little one is clinging to me. Just taking it one day at a time.
How are you doing Emma? What happened to OceanMamma? Oh, I guess she'd be on the June list.
Love from
MM
#84 of 846 Old 12-17-2002, 05:44 PM

thank heavens you and baby are OK!

there have been several mentions of prog. cream use - maybe do a search for them?

I feel the same about the very idea of loss after hearing the heartbeat, it makes me tremble

OM is still posting on P&BL, not sure if she's on the June list

I'm feeling less crook, and fretting about it of course, but a whiff of garlic reassures me I'm still on track

hope today is calm and peaceful for you
e
#85 of 846 Old 12-18-2002, 02:24 PM

Incase anyone is wondering.. I'm still here, but nausea is making everything impossible... I go to the ob today, so maybe she will be able to give me something for it since the phenergan is just making me throw up more... (Isn't that a lovely thought!!!)

Warm Squishy Feelings to everyone!!

Dyan

#86 of 846 Old 12-21-2002, 10:42 PM

My baby has passed away. I am waiting to miscarry her naturally.

I hope everyone else is doing well and heading happily into the second trimester "safe zone".
#87 of 846 Old 12-22-2002, 02:39 AM

I am very sorry naotalba. And I believe this is your first child, which I am sure makes it especially hard. Blessings and health to you. I hope the birthing of your child is smooth and cleansing for you.

Peace.
#88 of 846 Old 12-22-2002, 04:59 PM

Went to a Christmas party last night, wearing some low cut black knit pants and a cotton ( not maternity) blouse. The way that blouse lays over my tummy, folks thought I was 6 mos along! Frightening that I have to tell them. " not till around the first of july!"

Naoltaba -- I am so sorry for your loss. I hope you head over to the Pregnancy loss board where I started. I know you're in pain -- I've had 3 miscarriages, the most recent in Sept. Take care of yourself and know that there is hope.

Warmly,
Mossback
#89 of 846 Old 12-22-2002, 05:55 PM

dear naotalba - I'm so sorry losing a baby is so tough, emotionally and physically

as mossback says, Pregnancy and Birth Loss has several threads about natural m/c you might find helpful

#90 of 846 Old 12-23-2002, 01:59 AM

Well ladies..

My dr has figuired out why it takes so long for me to show at all.. (you usually can't even tell i'm pg until about 5 1/2-6 month) It's because my uterus is tipped so friggin' far back.. You know.. I thought child birth was supposed to fiix that.. Admittedly my 1st was a c-sec, but my 2nd was an even bigger baby and we had him vaginally... SHEESH!!! I guess there are some things childbirth can't fix!!!!

I hope everyone is feeling better and moving out of their morning sicknes.. (GOD ALMIGHTY!!!! I CAN"T WAIT UNTIL I DO!!!)

Naoltaba,

I am soo sorry to hear about your loss.. There aren't even words to express how deeply i feel for you.. Know that you are in my thoughts...

Have a super Christmas everyone!!!

Warm Squishies....

Dyan

If i were a fish, would you be my sea?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page