July 2003 Mamas-to-be Roll Call - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 846 Old 01-25-2003, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome Jen!

I felt my baby move last night, from the outside, and shared with dh. He put his hand on me and felt it too! It was really neat. I think dh felt much closer to the baby with that experience.

I am still suffering from morning sickness, at 16.5 weeks. I've started acupuncture treatments out of desperation (cannot afford it at all, but don't know what else to do.) My first treatment--I came home and felt worse than I had in weeks, vomitted twice that evening, and felt sick into the next day. I'm hoping that is some sort of purging that is on course for healing. I am planning a homebirth but also see a nurse midwife with my HMO (Kaiser), and she had me get started on Kaiser's hyperemesis program where a nurse calls you every night at first, then less if they feel you are doing okay.) I found it incredibly annoying to have to be prepared for that 7pm call, and the have them run through a checklist that was off the mark for how I'm doing. They would say "good, good!" as if there were improvement, when what they really meant was that I'm not as bad as the others they talk to, but that didn't help me at all with the fact that I even though my baby is not at great risk because I can keep enough food down, I feel miserable all the time. So I ended that pretty quickly, and ventured outside the system with acupuncture. I'll let you know how it works out over some more time.

Hope you all are over the morning sickness.

Pynki, by the way, I have very low blood pressure too. I can never remember what my "normal" is because I didn't understand the numbers until just recently, and I also don't know if it drops during pregnancy for me. I will ask my midwife at my next checkup if she knows about that. In any case all I ever here is that low is not a problem (just annoying for me in that I get light-headed just from moving too quickly.) With pregnancy I have been incredibly light-headed and feel so incapable of getting anything done. We moved into a new house and I wonder if I we will even get the basic set-up of the rooms accomplished before the baby is born! I unpack a half of a box and have to lie down because I feel so faint. Do you think that is because of low blood pressure? I also can't go for a walk without feeling weak, and beginning to lose my hearing (gets all muffled and echo-y in my head.) Speaking of which...I feel that now and really need to eat.

I really haven't been enjoying pregnancy this time around. The first was so much more inspiring for me. Part of wanting to do the acupuncture was wanting to access a feeling of inspiration. I hope I can find happiness and enjoyment in this pregnancy and not just endure it all the way through, as I have been so far.

Anyone else? I've heard similar stories from friends on their second pregnancy.

Cindi
#122 of 846 Old 01-25-2003, 01:01 PM

Thanks Cindi,

I feel for you....I hope that you find relief soon from the morning sickness! I wish I could offer some advice....

This is my second as well, and the main difference I feel so far is that I'm tired...m/s left around new years for good...still get the occasional wiff of something that sends my tummy spinning, but other then that, not too bad.
The tiredness gets to me though...and I'll wake up in the middle of the night and not be able to get to sleep for a couple hours, that is weird for me, I can sleep through anything and never have a problem going to sleep.

With my first pg, I was working and that kept me very busy, I don't really remember much of that first pg...seemed like time flew....so with this one, I am trying to enjoy and remember more.

That is sooooo cool you felt the baby! I can't wait for that, I didn't feel Evelyn until later (from the outside)

Best of luck to you and I hope one day you wake up and the m/s is gone!!!!

Jen
#123 of 846 Old 01-27-2003, 04:42 AM

My hips keep going numb when I sleep! I'm showing just a bit, and I can't believe I'm already dealing with circulation issues. I'm very tall and very low BP... any suggestions about what to do? I was thinking to start some yoga/stretching excercises... the poses in the recent mothering looked interesting. I need to start taking some time to pay attention to my body. I think it will be good for DS to start getting used to not having immediate access to me.

Other exciting news is that I met with the NP at my work to talk with her about a workplace pregnancy program she has organized. She was very excited to hear about the midwives and the home birth we're planning. She also told me that I'm entitled to leave with full pay one month prior to my due date! I can work 0-8 hours a day during this time. Also, my job is secure for up to a year after the baby is born. Apparently many managers try to keep all this a secret...

Hope everyone is getting over m/s... I've quit my prenatal vitamins...just cant stomache them any more. I found some liquid calcium and iron supplements that don't bother me at all.
#124 of 846 Old 01-27-2003, 12:09 PM

HEy Kanga i too am having incredibly low BP here.. And things are falling asleep before me some nights!!! (LOL)

I wish my m/s was way now.. I remain ever hopeful however that it will stop in the next 2 weeks or so.. 1st trimester my @ss... THis has gone on quite long enough...

I too am thinking of some prenatal yoga.. Not that i've ever done yoga before, but with all the other problems i was having before yoga really can't hurt anything...

I still am not really showing and don't expect to for another month or 2.. THats when i've started with the other 2 pg', so i'm betting this one will be the same...

Hope everyone is feeling better than I am...

Warm Squishy Feelings...

Dyan

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
#125 of 846 Old 01-28-2003, 12:05 AM

Dyan, Sorry to hear that I'm not the only one whose limbs fall asleep before I do I guess it's just the first of the many symptoms to come! I should get serious about that Yoga and see if it helps. I'm starting with continually reminding myself to carry myself properly (good posture) ... especially when sitting. Normally my boobs just about rest in my lap. I feel much better and stronger when I open up my chest and abdominals... I'm sure the baby feels better too!
#126 of 846 Old 01-28-2003, 01:07 PM

Last night was my first night of tingly limbs...I never had that before....I hope it doesn't continue....lol....

Yoga sounds cool...I've never done it before, I've always been a walker....it actually warmed up to -12C today, so I may just venture out for a nice walk...dh is home today too, so he can watch dd, she doesn't like the cold at all.

Yesterday we went to town (dd and I) for some groceries....had to actually plug the car in before we could go it was -40C in the morning....anyways, we ran into a friend of mine that I haven't seen for a month or so (told her over the phone after christmas about #2)...and she was like oh my god you are showing that much already : ...lol....guess it's not just me that thinks my belly has decided to protrude faster! Lol....then she commented that I wouldn't be able to put dd in her sling much longer it wouldn't fit around me...lol....I said the way my belly's growing she can sit on it....

I had a bout of nausea last night...dh was watching Fear Factor....I had to leave the room when they were doing the second stunt! Grossss!!!! I won't go into detail, as I know you guys have the quezy stomachs too, but man!

I hope that the weather starts getting nicer, although then the black flies come ....but I want to go outside!!!

Take care ladies,
Talk soon!
Jen
#127 of 846 Old 02-02-2003, 07:00 PM

Hi everyone...
How are you all doing???

The weather finally warmed up a bit....Evelyn and I took the dogs for a nice walk. It was about -1C the last couple days, looks like today will be the same, so we'll venture out again.
It feels good to be doing something outside!!

I've gotten the cleaning bug! I started ripping apart closets and cleaning them out. We have a second bedroom that I was moving furniture around in. It was suppose to Evelyn's room : , that is now the guest room and where the computer is....even though it's still decorated for kids...
I was cleaning up clutter too, dh helped a bit and we bagged up some stuffed animals (dd has wayyyyy to many ) to take to the Salvation Army. And two bags of clothes too.

I feel pretty good....my back is a little sore, but if I remember to stand up straight it seems ok, and not carry Evy around as much, which is hard.

She's really cut down on nursing, I'm wondering if she's going to wean or start up again when baby comes. She even went for a nap the other day without nursing...that's a first! ....I'm glad, but sad too....she's down to maybe twice a day...usually once before bed and once before a nap...sometimes once more in the evening. Wow....seems like only last week it was 15 times a day!!

I go to the dr's again on the 10th....my first appt since the u/s...so I hope everything was ok...
How is the morning sickness Pynki?? I hope that it is better!

Talk to you all soon!
Jen
#128 of 846 Old 02-02-2003, 11:00 PM

Jen...

The morning sickness is abating.. ( i think.. quick knock on wood!!!!) However i think i have a bladder infection.. I am prone to them when not pg, so i wouldn't be suprised if i was now.. I got some cranberry juice and am trying to drink it to see if it will clear up just with this.. Otherwise my Ob appt is on the 12th, so if not i'll tell her then...

I had some really odd symptoms earlier this week.. Like sharp stabbing pains in my uterus.. Like someone stabbed a very sharp knitting needle up in there and it hurt hurt hurt... dr said it was probably ligaments stretching.. Well that is all well and good, but this is my 3rd pg, and the other 2 did not have stabbing pains like that.. IT woke me from a sound sleep... And i don't think it's because i am older.. I'm not even 29 yet.. I won't be 29 when the baby arrives!!!! SHEESH!!!! IT IS NOT BECAUSE I AM GETTING OLDER!!!! MOst women don't even START having kids until now.. (GRRRR!!!) Sorry.. Just venting about not being old for heaven sake...

I hope everyone else is doing well...

Warm Squishy Feelings...

Dyan...

P.S.

If anyone else needs to repear after me... "i am not old... i am not old... i am not even that much older... " now deep cleansing breath.. See doesn't that feel better!!

Warm Squishies again...

Dyan

#129 of 846 Old 02-03-2003, 09:51 PM

Whoops I wrote a long post and erased it by mistake.

Take two:

I have been feeling the baby move a lot, and have also started having Braxton-Hicks. Seems really early, and I only feel them when I'm lying on my back--what do you think about this? Maybe one per day.

Tomorrow I have an ultrasound and if babe obliges us, we may learn the sex. I'll let you know.

I've started acupuncture for my nausea and fatigue, and we'll see how that goes. So far I've not felt much of a shift but I'll give it more time. I just wish it wasn't so expensive.

My poor boy (2.5) is really sick right now. He was coughing so hard last night he threw up several times, and has had a fever all this time too. He's in and out of naps this afternoon, between coughing fits and whimpering. I hope he is up for the u/s appt tomorrow because I really want dh there, and I was hoping ds would get something out of it too.

Anyway, I'll let you all know we find out tomorrow.

Cindi
#130 of 846 Old 02-04-2003, 08:06 PM

Dyan,
Just wanted to let you know that I"ve had the same sorts of pains, and they have woken me up from a sound sleep as well. I'm chalking it up to all the growing and stretching that's going on in there. It's a busy place.

Mossback,
Who isn't old either, and today's my 37th birthday!
#131 of 846 Old 02-06-2003, 10:54 PM

Hi! Our first baby is due July 27. We are planning a home birth with a CPM.

Robin
#132 of 846 Old 02-07-2003, 11:28 AM

Welcome Bradleybrat!

How did your appt go Cindi?? Hope that baby was able to show all so you could find out what you are having
How are you doing Dyan?? Still having the pains??

I go to the dr's on Monday...I actually can't wait to go again....Still feeling good, except I almost passed out the other morning. I think I was just doing too much....
After dd and I got out of bed, we had a bath, then we got dressed et al, then I started to do the dishes....it was when I was 1/2 way through the dishes that I just felt like I had to sit or I was going to pass out. I felt 100% better after I sat for a bit. I figure I must have raised my blood pressure in the hot water..I'm not sure though, so I 'm going to ask my dr about it.

I haven't had too many pains yet...just lig. stretching at night...but alot more disch. then last preg :

DD is completely weaned at night now....it's been 2 weeks and she hasn't asked for nums at night, and she's teething right now, so I know she is done at night! Yeah...it's kind of bittersweet, but it was too uncomfortable to continue at night.

I was thinking of going to the pool with dd a couple times a week. Town is 45 min away, so that sucks, but since it is still pretty cold out, I thought it would be good exercise until it gets warmer. Don't know though. I need to find a bathing suit first...lol...

Talk to you later,
Jen
#133 of 846 Old 02-08-2003, 12:42 AM

Hello July Mamas!

I have been lurking here for a few months, and now I want to join in the fun.

My name is Jen too. (There seem to be tons of Jens around here!) I am 26, married to my high school sweetheart for 3 years, and expecting our first baby on July 23. I have been feeling great lately - was sick for the first three months and now trying to make up for lost time!

I am going to be giving birth at a freestanding birth center. It is a fabulous place; the only downside is that it is 45 mins. away. I have my first appointment with one of the midwives there tomorrow! My mom gave birth to me and my three younger siblings at home. I got to see both of my sisters being born! It was a beautiful experience and what I have always imagined for myself, but my husband feels much more comfortable with the birth center for our first baby. (And I guess actually I do too! I like to use him as an excuse!)

Jen - I have been experiencing bouts of dizziness too, usually when I have been standing for a while, like in line or in the shower. My nurse practitioner said that it is normal throughout pregnancy and especially so if you have low blood pressure.

Well, thanks for letting me join in. I am excited to share about my pregnancy with a group of women going through the same things!
#134 of 846 Old 02-08-2003, 02:25 AM

Welcome to our thread Jen....

That does seem to be a popular name in these here parts!!

For me.. I think my morning sickness is finally gone.. HURRAY!!!! about time too.. Especially considering i am 16 weeks now!!

However, now i have a cold.. I never leave the house it seems, and somehow i managed to pick up a cold.. So, i'm not throwing up anymore, but now i am sneezy, and can't breathe.. (sigh ) It never rains, but it pours it would seem...

Hope everyone is feeling better than me.. I go to the OB again on Wednesday... I think i had a bladder infection, but got rid of it with cranberry juice.. (HURRAY FOR THE CRANBERRY!!! ) But i'll tell her about it anyway... Other than that, and the cold.. THe pains HAVE stopped, but i had a BUNCH of contractions today... Pretty sure they are B/H, but I was counting how many there were in an hour because we did have pre-term labor with our 1st ds starting at about this time.. (sigh) I am a tremendous worrier it seems when i am pg.. I'm not much of a worrier any other time, and i'm way more worried with this one, because i KNOW this is our last pg... Period.. END OF STORY!!! they are WAY too hard on my poor over worked system...

SO it would appear i am full of the ramble tonite on the key board, so i will stop.. Just thought i would keep everyone abreast of my pg situation.. I know you were all waiting with bated breath.. :LOL

Warm Squishies...

Dyan

#135 of 846 Old 02-12-2003, 10:05 AM

It looks like I am having a girl! I am so excited. The ultrasound was fun, ds really watching, and the baby was sucking her toes. We rescheduled it for this week (from last) because of ds' illness. It really gave me a boost of excitement about this pregnancy, which had been lacking earlier. I feel so much amazement.

One neat surprise at the ultrasound, was that the technician shared with me that she had a homebirth, before I even mentioned my plan for one. This was at Kaiser (my HMO), and I often feel wary of sharing my homebirth plans--for fear of judgement. The next day I had another Kaiser appointment, with my nurse-midwife there, and she's been supportive all along of me planning a homebirth...and when I told her how happy I was to learn about the u/s tech's homebirth, and my wariness, she said the hospoital staff seems pretty neutral to her, about homebirth and she doesn't worry about me getting disrespectful treatment from them, should I end up at the hospital afterall. And actually, my (homebirth) midwife said she thinks Kaiser is a good backup. Now if only the insurance covered homebirth!

Welcome Jen (maudlin)! Where in the Bay Area are you? I'm glad you decided to join in.

Dyan, as my nausea lessens, I've come down with a cold too, and as several of you have mentioned, I have low blood pressure and a lot of faintness, all the time. It's so hard for me to give ds what he needs. I swear I've missed brushing his teeth a few nights last week, and I just need so much time lying down. My uterus has been aching with stretching (I don't remember this from last time) and then ds jumps all over me and has a knack for elbows and feet digging into my belly. Hmmm, maybe that's why the ache? I know he needs moreinteraction than he's getting. I'll turn on PBS cartoons and take the chance to rest and nap while he watches from our bed, but he gets bored and when he sees I'm drifting off he starts jumping by my face on the bed and startles me. But it was actually so nice when he was sick because he wanted to sleep a lot and curl up much more gently with me and we could rest together. I think I need to start making a bigger effort to find playmates for him, since I am so lacking in energy.

My birthday is coming up this month, and all I want is a date with dh. I really would love an overnight getaway but think I'll probably settle for an evening out. I am so lucky to have my parents nearby.

Cindi
#136 of 846 Old 02-12-2003, 03:52 PM

Thanks for the welcome!

Pynki - So glad that your morning sickness is finally gone.

Cindi - I live in San Rafael. I lived in Petaluma for two years, and I was just there yesterday visiting a friend! Small world. One of my favorite comfort food restaurants is in Petaluma (La Famiglia), and when I was suffering from morning sickness, my sweet husband drove me up there once a week so I could have their chicken picatta (the only protein I could keep down). Also, I am delivering my baby at the birth center in Santa Rosa. (It's going to be a long drive!) That's great that you are having a home birth and that Kaiser is being so supportive. Oh, and congratulations on your baby girl!

I am dying to find out what sex our baby is, but we decided not to have any more ultrasounds (we had one in the first trimester), unless it is medically necessary. I feel good about this decision, but it is such a long wait.

Did any of you experienced mamas just "know" what sex your baby was? I think that we are having a boy, but several of my friends told me that they were "postitive" about the sex only to find out later that they were wrong.

Also, when did you start showing with your first pregnancy? I am "barely" starting to show. I can still fit into all of my clothes fine. I am getting so impatient to have a lovely pregnant belly, but I'm sure it will come soon enough.

I hope everyone stays healthy!

maudlin
#137 of 846 Old 02-13-2003, 11:21 AM

Hi Maudlin..

I am still in my "regular" clothes, and this is my 3RD pg!!! IT takes me forever to show though..

We are cancelling our u/s appointment for next month becuase we are insurance free, and cannot afford the added expense... I am a bit worried.. We had 3 u/s after my 2nd trimester with ds2.. His kidneys were enlarged 1st (well he was a big baby- at least for my body anyway) and then my anmio fluid levels were low, and they wanted to keep an eye on them.. They eventually went up on their own, but now i am worried because we AREN"T going to have one..

I know that u/s are sort of a bone of contention on this board, so i don't want an arguement arre to why they are bad, but will someone PLEASE!!!! reassure me that everything will be ok.. I am not usually a worrier, but pg makes me NUTS!!! i am usually (when not pg) one of the most laid back people ever seen, but those hormones really whip me into a frenzy!!!!

OK.. Enough about that..

I too am SOOOO glad the m/s is done!!! UNfortunately my cold turned into a sinus infection, and i am now on antibio's.. Which is fine with me.. I am prone to sinus problems anyway.. Well those mucus membranes, and add a cold on top of it, and you are just BEGGING for a sinus infections.. (sigh) At least it will go away now.. (for awhile anyway!! )

Anyway.. this is enough of a book.. So i'll be off..

Hope everyone has a super day, and a super V day..

Warm Squishies...

Dyan

#138 of 846 Old 02-13-2003, 01:31 PM

Hi all....
I feel like it's been forever since I've been on....

Went for my 2nd appt on the 10th...dh didnt' come as he just got off nights that morning, so just me and dd....it went good though.
Evy was good and cute....we had a med student working with our dr, so they asked if we would mind if she came in too....I said sure...well she came in only....lol...I was like ok...my dr came in later to go over anything, but it was still kind of weird.:
She took a LONG time to find the heartbeat, but did eventually, it was 144 this time...I gained 9 lbs....not too bad considering it's the only weight gain so far!!

I've got a cold right now too....dd had it a couple days ago, now it's my turn...I hate colds....my head is stuffed and if I don't blow my nose then I gag....yuck! All I want to do is sleep, but of course dd is feeling better...and dh is working nights so he's sleeping.... ...poor me...lol...

Maudlin....I started showing a couple months ago, and have been in prego clothes since after new years....seems my belly is popping out this time! I wasn't sure what we were having when pg with #1...and this time either...although it does look like there is a penis in the u/s pic....they won't tell you here, even if you want to know so that sucks cause I would like to know this time...
My sil is a labour/delivery nurse in Mich, so I'm going to get her to take the u/s pic to the hospital and ask the dr's if they can tell....we did that last time, but they couldn't tell for sure...I know cheating and we could be wrong

Congrats on the girl Cindi!!! I hope you get to go out for dinner with dh...I've been thinking that dh and I should go out too one of these days....we haven't been out just the two of us since I was pg with dd! We have no family nearby, and my girlfriend was weary of watching Evy when she was still nursing so much...now that she is down to two times (if that)...she said she'd be more than happy to watch her for a couple hours. The other down fall for us, is we are atleast 30-45 min from any town with a restaurant...an hour if you want to go someplace good...lol...so that sucks! Next time we go home to visit we'll hopefully be able to go out and leave Evy with Grandma....we were suppose to go out when home for Christmas, but Evy and I got the stomach flu, so that killed that plan!

Dyan...Everything will be great!!! ...I don't have any stats, but so many people don't have any u/s and have no problems...
Like you, I will end my book ...and wish you all a Happy Valentine's Day tomorrow!

Talk soon!
Jen
#139 of 846 Old 02-13-2003, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Hey everyone, long time no talk!

I've just been swamped and tired lately, and therefor not here.

I'm 20 weeks pregnant as of yesterday and the morning sickness finally started to go away 2 weeks ago! So, for the last 2 weeks I've finally felt human again, LOL. What a great feeling to go a whole day without being ill! Whew! I was beginning to be afraid I'd be one of those poor women who are ill their entire pregnancy <knocks on wood>.

I've started to feel the baby move now On occassion! I'm so busy at work (and I work between 50 and 60 hours per week) that I drop into bed at night and hardly have time to notice whether or not the baby is wiggling around or not throughout the day I only notice if I wake up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night and it's quiet. And sometimes right before I go home at 6:30pm, I notice s/he is more active ~ s/he seems to like the motion of the car and my loudish classical music ~ or maybe it is annoying, who knows?

I'm completely in maternity clothes now and I don't care what they look like as long as they fit comfortably and are cool. I'm so hot already! Ugh.

I just bought 2 dozen regular 4x6x4 chinese prefolds, so now I think my diaper package is complete ~ until I find some adorable fitted somewhere, LOL. But I have 2 dozen infant 4x8x4, 2 dozen regular 4x6x4 and 2 dozen premium 4x8x4 and 28 Mother-Ease fitteds and appropriate wraps. I can't wait to use them on a little bum!

Anyway, just wanted to check in with you all.
#140 of 846 Old 02-17-2003, 05:20 PM

Well I called about the u/s and we are going to have one because they aren't as much as i thought...

I had a hystosonogram in July of last year and it was over $700, so i thought the u/s would cost about the same.. I called and it isn't.. It's $275. so we are going to go ahead and get one.. Just for my peace of mind.. (whew!!)

I made home-made onion rings last night, and boy did they taste good, but boy and i paying for it today...

I hope everyone is doing well...

Warm Squishy Feelings...

Dyan

P.s.

I am having some bh contracts, and some real contractions already.. We did have preterm labor with ds 1, but none with ds2.. Anyone else have any kind of contractions either way yet??? Or am i the only lucky one???

Warm Squishies again...

Dyan

#141 of 846 Old 02-17-2003, 05:42 PM

Pynki, I have daily braxton-hicks. I still get sick from time to time, including this morning (I think in response to prenatal vitamins which I had stopped and then just tried out again.) Good luck with the u/s. Will you find out your baby's sex?

Maudlin, I was barely showing at five months of pregnancy the first time, and I think it was right after that (my wedding was at that time) that I began to pop out. But overall I stayed small. Where others say they are about to burst the last month, I still felt small by comparison. In fact, the day before my due date a friend dh and I had just met asked, "What are you doing Friday?" (wanting to get together for dinner)...and we laughed saying, "Having a baby!" He said, "Oh, no, you're not ready yet, when are you due?" and we said "Tommorow!" Which he couldn't believe. It's fun to hear you live so nearby. If you want to get together sometime pm me. I also am teaching a sling class to new and expecting parents if you have any interest. (Hope that doesn't go against board rules to mention that.) I went down to San Rafael the other night to see a movie at the Rafael: Rabbit-Proof Fence. Very good movie, and emotional, especially for us hormonal mothers. I also lived in San Rafael for a bit, and grew up in San Geronimo.

Hope all your pregnancies are going well. I, for one, don't want to ever go through this again.

Cindi
#142 of 846 Old 02-17-2003, 06:22 PM

We're having a boy! We already knew, but wanted to make sure so dd didn't get too excited about a sister, so the u/s was very clear. I feel him allt he time. He's adorable...

I'm still very tired, and wearing sweatpants now for what looks like a beer belly. With dd1, I wore normal clothes for almost 6 months and then just a larger size, but it looks like this time I'll be popping out. Dang, so I'll get stretchmarks too...
#143 of 846 Old 02-17-2003, 08:07 PM

Simonee...

you might not get stretch marks.. I don't start showing until about 20-24 weeks, but by 32 weeks i start getting very big.. Like right now i weigh 111lbs, but i expect to weigh about 160 when this baby is born if i follow the previous 2 pg.. I don't have any stretch marks on my tummy, but i do have a few on my upper thighs.. I mean literally i have less than a dozen i bet... SO you might not get any, or alot.. Of course my boobies are one giant stretch mark, but it's hard to go from a barely b cup to a d with no tissue changes.. I figuire who sees em beside dh and the babe anyway...

I was soo sure we were having a girl, but then last week i had a dream and we had a boy and we named him Liam Connor, and he was 7lbs 9 oz, and he was early.. So who knows.. We'll see at the u/s next month, but with the 1st 2 pgs i only had dreams the boys were boys and they are, so now i am pretty sure we are having another boy..

I am actually having some mixed feelings about it.. I really wanted a girl this time.. (i didn't with the 1st 2 because of issue i have with my own mother, but i'm over those now) This is our last pg, so i'm a little sad i won't be getting that girl... Listen to me.. We don't even know for sure.. Maybe it is a girl, and she's just being sneaky... Hopefuly we will be able to tell with the u/s.

Best of Health and Warm Squishy Feelings...

Dyan

#144 of 846 Old 02-18-2003, 12:03 AM

It's great to hear from everyone! I have been feeling good but still taking lots of naps. I sleep sooo much. I sleep about 10 hours a night (I don't have kids yet!) and then take a 2 hour nap every day. Is this normal?

Pynki - I'm glad that you get to have your ultrasound so that you can get some peace of mind. Maybe that baby will surprise you and turn out to be a girl!

madison - I've been feeling my baby move too! I started feeling it a couple of weeks ago but wasn't postive because I have nothing to compare it to. Now I am sure, and last night I was resting with my hands pressed lightly on my uterus, and I felt a bump on the outside. I called my husband in, and he felt it too - 3 more times! I am at 18 weeks - all of the books say this is too soon to feel the baby from the outside, but honestly, it couldn't have been anything else.

Cindi - I will pm you. I need to go see Rabbit-Proof Fence. Several people have recommended it to me and the Rafael is only a couple of blocks from where I live.

simonee - Congratulations on your boy! I have a "feeling" that we are having a boy too, but I won't know for sure until the birth. It is so hard to wait! (My stomach looks kind of like a beer belly right now too - definitely not what I had imagined!)

Is anyone else besides madison planning on cloth diapering? I have been spending tons of time lurking in the diapering forum trying to figure it all out. I have been learning so much, but I am still confused. I will have to start posting my questions. Part of the problem is my own indecision. We live in an apartment and it costs $2 per wash and $2 per dry. I think a diaper service is probably the way to go, but I really want to do it myself, and of course I am in love with fancy diapers!

Hope you all have a good week.

maudlin
#145 of 846 Old 02-18-2003, 03:03 AM

Hi all!! I see new faces here. It took me a week or two to realize I've accidentally unsubbed from this thread. But this post will remedy that .

I'm still here and plugging along at almost 20 weeks. Still not really showing, not feeling a ton of movement, and still in awe of how different this pg is. At the MW this month, I was measuring 14cm and was almost 18 weeks along, so I'm much smaller with this baby than I was with Samuel. Weird. DH thinks it'll be a petite little girl. I know it'll be a girl, but hesitate to comment on the petite part! We have a sono on March 11, so I'm hoping to find out we're right. Otherwise we'll have to deprogram Samuel b/c he already points to my belly and says "sister."

As far as cloth goes, yep! I'm doing it. Samuel just potty trained himself today, insisting on no more diapers, so I'm packing his size 2 kissaluvs away. There are quite a few posts on the diapering forum right now about diapering a newborn, and I've posted my stash on most of them . The one I'm most excited about is having my prefolds tie dyed: pictures. I don't physically have them in my house yet, but I can't wait to see them IRL and snappied on an itty bitty little baby. I'm also buying some fitteds.

Maudlin, I know some of the mainstay posters at the diapering forum use public laundry facilities, so if I were you, I'd hop over there and post a question about it. You'll get lots of input, I'm sure!! The only thing I'd warn you about is the drying time of all those cute fitteds you're no doubt admiring. A good option might be pocket diapers like the ones from www.happyheinys.com or www.apronstringsbabythings.com You could machine wash them once (and maybe only machine wash the poopy ones...pee diapers can be washed in warm water in tbe sink if you want) and then air dry them over your shower curtain rod in a matter of hours. Stuff them with a microfiber insert or a couple of gerber flatfolds (the big gauze squares you find at places like babies r us...not the "burp cloth" diapers, but the others) and you'd have a REALLY fast drying system on your hands, and it would be cheaper than a diaper service when you figure in resale value.

I also like the quick dry AIOs from little lambs. Her soakers wouldn't dry as fast as the flatfolds, but the shell of the diaper would dry SUPER fast.

Anyway, there are definitely cute options out there. Like I said, I'd post at the diapering forum asking specifically about using public washing machines/dryers. Ohh...and an added benefit of line drying your stuff in the house would be that you don't have to worry about fabric softener residue in the dryers, which can make your diapers waterproof.

Or...you could consider elimination communication. A search at the diapering forum will turn up a ton on that. Talk about a money/energy saver. I wanted to try with Samuel, but just never did. Now that I've been through the potty training ordeal, I DEFINITELY plan on trying it with this baby.

I hope that helps a little bit!!

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#146 of 846 Old 02-18-2003, 11:47 AM

Good morning all....

I don't know if I started having contractions or if baby is just stretching out and stretching my ligaments, but every night when I go to bed, I've got pains for about 10 minutes on and off.....

If baby is stretching, he's going to have me stretched out sooooo far! Lol....I have stretch marks from last time, the worse ones are on my legs, but I didn't move around too much the first couple months after dd was born. I was in too much pain from the c-sec. This time we'll be doing vbac, so I'll be up right after I hope!

I too am cloth diapering. This will be my first new baby to cloth diaper though. I didn't start with dd until she was 6 months (and after being on the boards for awhile and thinking hey that's a good idea )....thankfully the first diapers I bought go down to newborn size. They still fit dd too, but I have other ones for her that can be training diapers if I put them on loose enough. Although anytime she has a diaper on, she just goes in them...lol...

I can't believe how many are having (or think ) they are having boys! I too am starting to think it's a boy. I'm actually thinking that if I have to go for another u/s then I'll go to a town where they'll tell me the sex. I took the pic's from the first u/s to a friends last night and they all agreed that it looked like a penis between those knees.... ....and all hands and feet were accounted for in other spots.....I use to think that I only wanted girls (I have 3 younger brothers!) but a boy would be cute and great....and hey I'd have the first girl and first boy grandkids... I know that's mean, but my bil is an ass about these things...and thinks that we're trash cause we don't have new this and new that and spend money or great jobs and I stay home and you know his life is planned out and he has this and that and lalallalalal

Sorry...little rant there!

Take it easy ladies and talk soon!
Jen
#147 of 846 Old 02-19-2003, 03:19 AM

hi july mamas! every time I think I've got time to reply something happens but I'm reading and enjoying the conversation anyway

not a lot is going on re this baby now, it's the "easy" bit for me, less nausea and fatigue and not yet hugely big or full of indigestion - but I get gentle movements often and feel most reassured

so much has been happening with my older kids that baby has been in the background and I wonder how everyone's needs will be attended to with a new baby as well, it's quite a daunting prospect

cloth nappies for us too, both my boys had cloth from birth though we did use single-use for overnights as they got older. I have a big stack of cotton flannel squares to fold and pin and use a no-name brand of covers, also washable liners. At first we will have a nappy wash service to ease the load a little, they never have as good quality as our own but it is convenient esp as it will be midwinter here when the baby arrives and we don't have a clothes dryer

re sleep - I have no trouble getting to sleep, but staying asleep is difficult, I wish I could sleep 10 hours a night but am often awake for the day at 4:30 am, or up from 2 am- 5 am, then fall asleep too early so it continues

stretchmarks - well I was so thoroughly stretched by a big first baby many years ago that I ceased to care about such issues, I carry my stretchmarks with pride

duty calls - ds2 has a tummy bug and needs his little feet rubbed
#148 of 846 Old 02-19-2003, 02:27 PM

I'm a rabid cloth diaperer. Our favoriate system is the diaper-service quality prefolds, with pins and a nylon cover.

My vent topic today is _underwear_. I was getting by with bikinis, but they are starting to get uncomfortable. I'm looking RATHER pregnant at this point. I want something that doesn't cut my waist or lower belly and creep up my backside. The only comfy thing is - - don't laugh - - my homemade bloomers that I wear under dresses. Can't wait for spring till I can wear dresses with bare legs!

I'm declaring today my anti-procrastination day - got to finish up some maternity jumpers that are cut out and piled on the sewing machine.

It is so amazing to lay in bed and feel my stomach - we can actually feel the little person in there. Just 6 weeks ago there wasn't anything to feel. What a miracle!

MM - 20 weeks 5 days - time is flying!
#149 of 846 Old 02-19-2003, 04:57 PM

underwear..... most of my prepreg undies still fit but I get so big they won't fit forever

so I went hunting for maternity undies - hardly anyone sells them, and I gave up looks like I'll be pulling my usual knickers down under my belly and constantly wondering if they'll stay up

homemade bloomers!! I'm trying to picture this.. or maybe I shouldn't
#150 of 846 Old 02-19-2003, 05:23 PM

Go ahead Emmaline - make fun of me.

My bloomers are made from a shorts pattern, only with 1/4 elastic, and some elastic and a ruffle at the bottom of the leg. They are roomy, airy , and just the thing under a dress if your thighs rub together in the summer.
You can make yourself a pair while you're having insomnia!

You see, I was born in the wrong century. I have a fondness for things old fashioned, including underwear.

Hope the tummy bug has left your house and didn't affect you. Are you stilll teaching your exercise class?

Wishing you love and comfy knickers!

MM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page