Ripening Cervix ? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-03-2005, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Because of early pre-eclampsia, I had an attempted induction this week--three doses of cervadil over 36 hrs--which utterly failed. My cervix is still high, posterier and not dilated. I'm going back into the hospital on Sun evening for another chance with a low dose of cytotec and would really like it to work so I can avoid a c-section.

Does anyone have any advice on ripening my cervix? I'd been taking EPO by mouth for weeks and also I've been having fairly steady ctxs for a while, but no change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2005, 11:24 PM

DON'T LET THEM GIVE YOU CYTOTEC!!!

seriously, it will not ripen your cervix. It will not get labor started if your body is not ready, and it very well might cause your uterus to rupture, you and your baby could die. Go to www.fda.gov and read everything you can find about Cytotec. It is not safe. It is not approved for use in pregnant women. It *is* cheap, though, and that is why hospitals use it.
When they gave me cytotec to "ripen my cervix" it caused DD's heartrate to drop to 10 (yes, TEN) beats per minute. I can't tell you how scary it was to hear the beeps on the monitor getting farther and farther apart. It is called the "c-section drug" for good reason.

ETA - see also:
http://www.fda.gov/cder/drug/infopag...ol/default.htm
Quote:
This Patient Information Sheet is for pregnant women who may receive misoprostol to soften their cervix or induce contractions to begin labor. Misoprostol is sometimes used to decrease blood loss after delivery of a baby. These uses are not approved by the FDA. No company has sent the FDA scientific proof that misoprostol is safe and effective for these uses.

There can be serious side effects, including a torn uterus (womb), when misoprostol is used for labor and delivery. A torn uterus may result in severe bleeding, having the uterus removed (hysterectomy), and death of the mother or baby.
http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/cytotec.html
http://www.birthlove.com/free/devil_cytotec.html
Old 06-03-2005, 11:27 PM

You can insert 1-2 capsules of EPO at bedtime (put on a pantyliner first!) and there's always the old fashioned way ~ DTD!
Old 06-03-2005, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stafl
DON'T LET THEM GIVE YOU CYTOTEC!!!

seriously, it will not ripen your cervix. It will not get labor started if your body is not ready, and it very well might cause your uterus to rupture, you and your baby could die. Go to www.fda.gov and read everything you can find about Cytotec. It is not safe. It is not approved for use in pregnant women. It *is* cheap, though, and that is why hospitals use it.
When they gave me cytotec to "ripen my cervix" it caused DD's heartrate to drop to 10 (yes, TEN) beats per minute. I can't tell you how scary it was to hear the beeps on the monitor getting farther and farther apart. It is called the "c-section drug" for good reason.

ETA - see also:
http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/cytotec.html
http://www.fda.gov/cder/drug/infopag...ol/default.htm
HOLY !!!!
I just went and read about it at the FDA (I've never heard of cytotec), and WOW. How can a hospital use something on a pregnant woman that has an FDA alert on it specifically for the danger of use in a pregnant woman?!?
WOW. Thanks for the info, I had never heard of it.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:39 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Ugh... if only I'd known about this before. I was induced with both my girls... once with cytotec, once with cervadil (this, mostly before my mdc days, so no flames on not natural).

I guess I was very, VERY lucky in not ending up with a c-section either time, though I HAD to have an epidural with the cytotec induction -- things were beyond terrible. I hope the ladies here have some great suggestions for you!!!!

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls, a boy, and someone new in May '15! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) .
Old 06-04-2005, 10:58 PM

Callophylum (spelling?) is a homeopathic remedy that is for ripeneing the cerivx. Normally, you start taking it at 37 weeks daily. It is sometimes used for induction as well, but that would be at a different strength. There is alot of stuff on the board about it, try a quick search and see.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
just a few weeks ago i caught a baby with an abrupted placenta caused by cytotec induction (this was in colombia SA btw). not cool at all. that baby almost died.

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

Old 06-05-2005, 12:48 AM

My midwife recommended inserting *six* EPO's in the evening before bed (so you're laying down) on a cervix that wasn't ripe.
She also mentioned that if your cervix was doing things on its own to begin with to not even bother with the EPO.
And doing the deed is also a great thing too
Maybe do EPO one night, DTD the next, EPO, DTD. You get the idea!!
Good luck!
Old 06-06-2005, 02:35 PM

i've read that borage oil works the same as epo, but has alot more GLA's so it produces more prostoglandins? i'm gonna try and find where i read that....

Mama to Jet 6/05, Marvel 8/06 and Cash and Fox 2/09
Expecting Ada Marianne 11/14
Old 06-18-2005, 02:23 PM

did someone mention sex? sperm has prostaglandins in it, which ripens the cervix. also orgasm helps alot.

okay, this is TMI, but prostaglandins work more effectively when taken *ahem* orally,a s opposed to topically on the cervix, so. . . . . . . .

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

Old 06-18-2005, 09:01 PM

Yes, please don't let them give you Cytotec! Bad, bad stuff!

I had the same thing happen with dd (induced due to pre-e), and my cervix never really ripened with the cervadil after several doses...they gave me pitocin anyway and the baby went into distress...monitor said it and I could feel it...had a c-s and dd had never descended into the pelvis after 48 hours of pit labor.

After going through it, if I had to do it again (and I might!) I would do every natural induction method possible in the time that they gave me, 12 hours, 24 hours, whatever. Call a midwife to get some supervision, but do whatever you can to get it going on your own! The fake induction, in my experience, was just horrible in that situation--I know it would be controversial but if I had to choose, I would pick a c-sect. over being induced that way with an unripe cervix.
Old 06-19-2005, 06:34 AM

I have to agree with the above replies about Cytotec.....I have read and heard some VERY bad things about this drug. PLEASE think long and hard about a cytotec induction (and RESEARCH!) Lots of info out there on it! Even a "low dose" is a scary thing!! Personally- I wouldn't do it......

JAMIE

Loving wife. Mama to five crazy kids. Follower of Jesus. Doula & Childbirth Educator.

Old 06-19-2005, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeth
Yes, please don't let them give you Cytotec! Bad, bad stuff!

I had the same thing happen with dd (induced due to pre-e), and my cervix never really ripened with the cervadil after several doses...they gave me pitocin anyway and the baby went into distress...monitor said it and I could feel it...had a c-s and dd had never descended into the pelvis after 48 hours of pit labor.

After going through it, if I had to do it again (and I might!) I would do every natural induction method possible in the time that they gave me, 12 hours, 24 hours, whatever. Call a midwife to get some supervision, but do whatever you can to get it going on your own! The fake induction, in my experience, was just horrible in that situation--I know it would be controversial but if I had to choose, I would pick a c-sect. over being induced that way with an unripe cervix.
I had 4 doses of cervadil to induce because of pre-e. I didn't ripen at all, so the doctor went ahead with a c-section without trying pitocin. The doctor said that they were doing this because pitocin can cause problems if the cervix hadn't ripened at all. At the time I was disappointed, but now I'm glad I skipped a horrendous labour and then an emergency c-section. I'm sorry you went through that, and I'm with you. I'd rather have a repeat c-section than try an induction with an unripe cervix.
Old 06-19-2005, 06:02 PM

Yes, sounds like your m-w/doc gave you good advice. I know that mine were trying to get me the vaginal birth I wanted, but it was at a cost that I just wasn't aware of at the time. I hope the OP has a better experience either way.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemademomma
did someone mention sex? sperm has prostaglandins in it, which ripens the cervix. also orgasm helps alot.

okay, this is TMI, but prostaglandins work more effectively when taken *ahem* orally,a s opposed to topically on the cervix, so. . . . . . . .
Really? They work better taken orally? I'm just going to keep up with the oral, I planned on using my EPO vaginally as soon as I get near my duedate, I don't want to bother with the mess if it isn't as effective that way anyway. Is there somewhere I can read more about this? Not doubting your expertise, just curious, I had never heard that before is all.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mara
Really? They work better taken orally? I'm just going to keep up with the oral, I planned on using my EPO vaginally as soon as I get near my duedate, I don't want to bother with the mess if it isn't as effective that way anyway. Is there somewhere I can read more about this? Not doubting your expertise, just curious, I had never heard that before is all.

um, i was referring to the prostaglandins in semen actually, but i assume it applies to epo too. i learned that in my intrapartum class, ill dig up the reference when i get a chance

Old 06-22-2005, 01:43 AM

I'm forgetting now all the ways ...

I remember that blue cohosh is supposed to ripen the cervix.

I use black cohosh in tincture form [this herb is unrelated to blue cohosh botanically]. Black cohosh tones and balances the uterus. I really love the effect it has on my body. This is my third pregnancy, and I take it for the last 2-4 weeks before my due date. It is a very powerful and effective herb.

Blue cohosh, though,... I have never tried it b.c. I have never needed it, but I thought it was used to induce labor and ripen the cervix. I think it stimulates contractions or modulates them ??

Maybe somebody could look it up. I tried to do an Internet search recently, and all I came up with was garbage about how dangerous these (and other) herbs are and how safe pharmaceutical drugs are... which I don't believe for a second.

-- Caitlin

User Tag List