38 Weeks - Baby hasn't dropped??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-13-2005, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, I know this is normal, especially because I've already had one child. I'm not too worried. But I keep waiting for it to happen (for the baby to drop). I am checking the mirror constantly. I can't believe how high I am still carrying this child and I'm wondering if my cervix will even dilate/efface before the head is engaged.

Does anyone know? Can your body be getting ready even though the baby is still "floating"? Will it all happen at once (when labor begins)?

I'm also scared of my water breaking at this point (because the head isn't engaged). My water broke with DC#1 right before 39 weeks.

Also, with my DC#1, I felt like my body was doing things from 37 weeks+...not true at all this time. Maybe because I was carrying DC#1 so low I felt a lot of pressure and lost my plug at 38 weeks, etc. Right now, I feel like I am weeks and weeks away from giving birth.

Just wondering what some of you experienced.
#2 of 10 Old 06-13-2005, 09:36 PM

Neither of my babies ever dropped until midway through labor. 42 weeks, and 41 weeks. Everything was fine. They floated up until the very last minute. Neither of the times did my cervix begin to soften or dialate wither until labor actually started. In both births I had exams the day before labor began and the baby was still high and my cervix was still firm. Both my labors started spontaneously and my labors were completely normal and uneventful and babies were in good positions. HTH.

Oh, and with my first baby, my water broke first, on it's own while I slept, as far as I knew baby's head was not engaged before hand, though it could have become engaged that evening sometime (dr apt was that afternoon and head was still high, floating). Head ultimately engaged and no cord prolapse.
#3 of 10 Old 06-13-2005, 10:29 PM

I've heard that it's unusual for second babies to drop before labor begins. Don't sweat it!
#4 of 10 Old 06-14-2005, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks both for your replies...

I know it's not unusual...I just feel at 38 weeks like I did at 32 weeks. I know I should feel thankful that I'm not waddling around and in a lot of pain, but it feels weird, like labor is SO far off. It feels like nothing is really progressing...
#5 of 10 Old 06-14-2005, 02:03 AM

I am just a couple days shy of 38 weeks and in the same situation. Just wanted to let you know you aren't alone!
#6 of 10 Old 06-14-2005, 10:08 AM

Ds never dropped until he was coming out. I was dialated to 3 for a few weeks before he was born, but he stayed high up until he was on his way out. I have heard that with your second or more pregnancy that the baby does not drop anyway. I don't know whyt that would be, but I would not worry about it. Babies come out when they are good and ready and a prolapsed cord is rare.
#7 of 10 Old 06-14-2005, 02:41 PM

Ds1 didn't drop until I was pushing. I don't think ds2 was ever high and I"m only 27 weeks, but it looks like #3 is going to be a low low baby as well.
#8 of 10 Old 06-14-2005, 03:06 PM

I was 26 hours into hard labor before mine dropped also! She was another 42 weeker.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#9 of 10 Old 06-14-2005, 03:41 PM

My son dropped during labor. He was born about 12 hours later. He was pretty much floating up until then!

Also--my midwife broke my water as he crowned, and I lost my mucus plug the day before I went into labor.

My first dropped at about 37 weeks, so I had the same worries you do. Short, quick, easy labor though, and my cervix was long & barely 2 cm until labor started.
#10 of 10 Old 06-15-2005, 06:33 PM

Everyone kept telling me how far away from delivering I was because my son hadn't dropped. Then I went into labor right on time
He stayed high until the very end. I didn't lose my mucus plug until I was already in active labor...a couple of centimeters dilated.
Good luck to you!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page