Low amniotic fluid - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-15-2005, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was put on bed rest last pregnancy because of low amniotic fluid at 35 weeks-not because I was leaking. How can I aviod it this time?
#2 of 5 Old 06-15-2005, 12:54 PM

Drink LOTS of water. Use a midwife not an OB. Don't do any ultrasounds.

-Angela
#3 of 5 Old 06-15-2005, 07:03 PM
Pom

That may prevent being put on bed rest, but avoiding u/s does not help low amniotic fluid.

Angela, are you mentioning that bc of the concern with OBs over-eagerness to make that claim and prescribe bedrest?

I had low fluid at 41+ weeks. Was induced. By a midwife who thought she was probably wrong as she tended to be conservative....but she wasn't wrong, she was actually guessing it was higher than it was. I wasn't leaking either.

Don't know about low fluid and the risks when one is early....if you trust your current practioner, I'd ask them first. Good luck!
#4 of 5 Old 06-15-2005, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pom
That may prevent being put on bed rest, but avoiding u/s does not help low amniotic fluid.

Angela, are you mentioning that bc of the concern with OBs over-eagerness to make that claim and prescribe bedrest?
Yep. OBs like to find "problems". u/s gives them a way to.

-Angela
#5 of 5 Old 06-16-2005, 04:03 AM

If you DO choose to use an MD instead of a MW, when/if you are doing a u/s at that late stage, give yourself every benefit you can before the test.
1. Drink lots of water, more than you feel you 'need'.
2. Arrange your appointment for a time of day that will give you time to sit in a full tub of water for an hour first....yep, really does help.
3. Consider the day of the month and the month of the year when you get this "low fluid" diagnosis. Too many docs use this a the first "scare tactic" towards induction and/or c/s because they are nearing a date to meet a quota in their practices. I'm pleased that you only received bedrest....here in Austin, TX, you'd likely have been induced if you had been 2-3 weeks further along.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page