Dilation checks during labor--painful? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 06-23-2005, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all, when i was in labor with ds, every time the midwife checked my cervix dilation it was more painful than the contractions. She said she was trying to stretch my cervix. Is that typical for a dilation check? Does it always hurt so much? I wanted to bring this up at my midwife appointment but wasn't sure if it was normal for it to be painful or if it was her technique of trying to stretch the cervix while checking. Any input is greatly appreciated!
#2 of 13 Old 06-23-2005, 10:23 AM

I don't remember it being very painful. Annoying, but not any more painful than a contraction and maybe less so. You can definitely ask your m/w to wait til you are between ctx to check, and why she is stretching your cervix!
#3 of 13 Old 06-23-2005, 10:45 AM

They were painful for me....the babys head was RIGHT on my cervix and I had tremendouse pressure.With that said I went into labor at 36 weeks and never had my cervix checked in a prenatal visit. The first time I was ever checked I was in labor, and my water broke then. The second time I was checked I was begging him to stop.......I wasn't checked again until I was ready to push.

This next time I will be limiting checks to when labor just begins (to see where I'm at) and not again until I feel the urge to push. Besides I don't want to keep being checked through out my labor only to find out I'm not as far dilated as I think or feel. It will only discaourage me....
#4 of 13 Old 06-23-2005, 11:20 AM

why was she "stretching" your cervix??? That definitely sounds painful to me!! I decided ahead of time to not have any VE's during labor with my last child, but when I was there I just had to know how far I'd come, even though I knew it meant nothing. I had the urge to push long before I was fully dilated, but wasn't checked again before I actually did start to push. There's really no reason to check for dilation, as long as you trust your body, as long as you are not strapped to a hospital bed or on big drugs, as long as you are in a trusting environment, with caregivers who trust in the natural process of childbirth rather than seeing birth as a medical emergency.
#5 of 13 Old 06-23-2005, 11:25 AM

They were painful for me, too. I don't think she was stretching my cervix though ouch. I was having back labor, it was like one long contraction. And those checks were the most awful part of it! I don't want any cervical checks this labor.

#6 of 13 Old 06-23-2005, 03:07 PM

Yes. I find exams very painful- that said, they didn't hurt any more when my midwife WAS stretching my cervix out with the contractions than when she wasn't.
For the sceptics- if she stretched a little bit with one contraction, I'd go 1-2 cm further dilated with the next couple, and it seemed to make the next contractions less painful. I still don't like it, though...

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#7 of 13 Old 06-23-2005, 03:50 PM
Banned

I was in way too much labor pain to notice the cervical exam. I didn't even feel the IV, and normally - because my veins are tiny and they have to dig around and stick me a few times in each hand, I find IV's horrid. I think you could have removed my foot and I wouldn't have noticed.
#8 of 13 Old 06-23-2005, 05:01 PM

Mine were not all that painful, but then the labor itself was painful so maybe I didn't notice! I only had 1 or 2 though as my water had ruptured 12 hours before labor started so they didn't want to check much for fear of introducing bacteria. I think I had one or two during labor and then one to confirm I was ready to push.
#9 of 13 Old 06-23-2005, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
As usual, I agree with stafl. But yes, they are painful. In part because they require you to lay on your back, which is the worst labor position in the world.
#10 of 13 Old 06-23-2005, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the replies, I definitely want to avoid them this time around. Last time I was in labor for 44 hours and I think they were trying to help me along. This one has got to be shorter than that. Oh, and you're right being on my back was also horrible.
#11 of 13 Old 06-23-2005, 10:11 PM

The mw should be able to check your cervix in any position. There is no need for you to be on your back or even on your side. He/she should be able to check it wherever and however you are comfortable. I laid down for the the first check and found it to be unbearable. I can't be horizontal at all in labor-it kills me!
Suzy

: mama to 4 boys
: : :
#12 of 13 Old 06-23-2005, 10:23 PM

no it wasn't painful...but I have decided against it this time anyway...no more cervical checks for me.
#13 of 13 Old 06-23-2005, 10:35 PM

I remember them not being comfortable, but I don't recall if they were specifically painful. I had very few...with my first birth I think I had 2 during labor (when I arrived at the birth center and was 3cm, then in transition when I was 9cm), and with my second birth I had one (when I arrived at the birth center and was 6-7 cm). Both times the midwives told me to push whenever my body told me to and did not check first to see if I was fully dilated.

What I DO remember being painful in labor was whenever they would check the baby's heartrate with the doppler! Not sure why that bothered me so much...I just remember dreading it and that it was especially tender wherever they would press the sound head on my belly.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page