Stiff, sore hands? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-24-2005, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,

I was just curious if anyone else has experienced this:

My hands, while not overly swollen, are constantly feeling stiff, sort of "fat" and if I try to make fists, I get a tight, sore feeling in the palms and I cannot tighten them into complete fists. It almost feels like the kind of pain one gets from muscle strain/overexertion but I have not been doing any sort of things that would cause this to be this case. My legs and ankles puff up daily and I have cut my sodium intake and swim daily to help with that, I just don't know if the hand thing is a part of all that or something else. My doctor is on vacation and I am unable to see him until my scheduled 7 month check up on July 5th. I am just wondering if anyone has any insight on this or is experiencing similar ? Thank you in advance for any replies on this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 06-24-2005, 03:45 PM

i was JUST going to post about this. it started happening to me about 2 weeks ago and it hurts! i can't make my hands into fists and sometimes i can hardly hold a pot when i'm cooking. it's worse in the morning right when i wake up, so i am thinking it has something to do with sleeping...like when i put my arm under the pillow to give me more support, it's cutting off circulation or something. i'm going to ask my midwife about it at our visit on wednesday.
#3 of 5 Old 06-24-2005, 04:05 PM

I have a very similar problem - sore fingers and they're especially sore first thing in the morning when I wake up. I've spoken to some new moms and they said they had a similar problem when they were pregnant. I've also read on the internet that this could be carpal tunnel syndrome, which is common in pregnant women. It should go away after delivery, though. Here is a link that has some information:

http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/pre...ys&bus=content
#4 of 5 Old 06-24-2005, 05:00 PM

It's from the enormous increase in blood volume that happens just before month 7. PLEASE don't cut your sodium intake. Along w/ this increase in blood volume you need a HIGHER sodium (and all electrolytes) intake, not lower. It's very imortant to get make sure you are getting higher amounts of soduim, magnesium, calcium, etc, than you needed before to keep up w/ this greater blood volume. Not to mention your blood is feeding the quickly growing baby now, who also is taking more minerals, etc, from your blood on top of what you need for the increase.
#5 of 5 Old 06-24-2005, 05:12 PM

:

I'm in week 35, and have had this for about 3 weeks. The things I've found that work: drink drink drink and then drink some more water. If you're really uncomfortable, put your hands and feet into super cold water. Elevate your hands and feet for 10 or 15 minutes--it's amazing how quickly they'll shrink back down.

Hope everyone feels better soon!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page