The Nursery - post your pictures or describe it - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 65 Old 07-04-2005, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So how you planning the nursery? What colors? Have any pictures to share?

So today I cleared out what was our former dumping grounds for unpacked boxes (we moved about 4 months ago and between morning sickness and a month long trip to Florida it just hasn't been touched.) Since we got our crib yesterday, I decided it was finally time to get cracking on that room. It's really starting to look nice!

It's hard to explain, but here goes...

The crib is a reddish darker wood finish and I have a larger matching end table in there. Going to get a matching glider rocker also. The color scheme is a soft antique red color with cream. The crib bedding is that soft red color in a ginham check pattern with a sort of swirling type pattern in a ruffle trim.

If it's a boy, I will play up the red color. If it's a girl, I will play up the creme and add reddish pink also. There is already a roman cotton blind up in the creme color, I plan on taking the matching crib sheet and making a valance out of it and then getting some french toile or more of the antique red and make curtain panels. The walls are a light creme and the 100 year old victorian woodwork has been painted a pale creamy yellow and the carpet is an off-white. Not sure exactally yet what I will do with paint, I think I like it the way it is... so I may leave it and paint some sort of checkerboard border at the top to match the gingham print in the crib bedding and a red or reddish pink area rug.

Soon as it's done, I will snap some shots with my digital and post them.
#2 of 65 Old 07-04-2005, 08:00 PM

We have no nursery. Everyone but my oldest sleeps in the family bed. We do have a super cool playroom for playing, and for their clothes. We've been thinking of doing something cool with the walls in there... Maybe a Charlie Brown theme or something.
#3 of 65 Old 07-04-2005, 08:36 PM

We don't have a nursery either. Dd always slept with us at night and where ever for naps (couch, palette on the floor, the bed).

I'm not much for decorating anyway. I mean, I like it and would like to but don't have the funds. So its all pretty boring.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#4 of 65 Old 07-04-2005, 08:54 PM

no nursery here either. the little girl will sleep with us just like her brother did for quite some time.
#5 of 65 Old 07-04-2005, 11:02 PM

One day (hopefully soon! lol) I am going to get ours done! I'm going with cream colored walls with a green trim and then I am going to paint some farm animals (using transparencies and a projector - I am NO artist!) in color blocks around the walls as sort of a border. We're going with a barnyard theme - that way it's not too baby but not too old either. dh keeps asking what the hurry is since the new babe will be in our room for the first couple of months, but I can't imagine TWO kids and trying to get it done! Of course, he thinks there is no reason to hurry on choosing the name either, but that's another thread! LOL

ETA: We have a playroom that we painted primary colors and have those self-stick removable type things all over - letters, numbers, pictures, etc.
#6 of 65 Old 07-04-2005, 11:26 PM

No nursery either My youngest is moving to a toddler bed (we call it the toddler room) so that does free up the crib. She is 22 months old now and didn't move into it until she was 16 months old and had quit nursing at night. She really wanted her space and kept kicking everyone out of the king size bed!! My 3.5 year old sleeps on a bunk bed with her 9 year old sister. They love it and love not having to share any space with the youngest!
#7 of 65 Old 07-04-2005, 11:32 PM

no nursery here either...but we just did a bedroom for our 2 year old...when she's ready to sleep in it, it's ready for her...she's getting used to napping in it now.
#8 of 65 Old 07-05-2005, 12:36 AM

The crib in the baby's room and the mini wardrobe come change table is Jarrah in colour.

We have a wall border and curtains which show Pooh and friends.

The walls are creme in colour (that was the colour we painted the walls two years ago) but the bedding and furnishings are blue and green.
#9 of 65 Old 07-05-2005, 12:42 AM

No real nursery here either. The baby will sleep with us until.... But DH insists that he have his own room for his things. So the baby will have his room but we just call it the babies room, not really the nursery becasue he won't be "living" there. Does that make sense. I don't imagine a lot of women on this board do have nurseries.
Gossamer

Before you were conceived, I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were a minute old, I would have died for you. That is the miracle of life. ~Maureen Hawkins~
#10 of 65 Old 07-05-2005, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer
No real nursery here either. The baby will sleep with us until.... But DH insists that he have his own room for his things. So the baby will have his room but we just call it the babies room, not really the nursery becasue he won't be "living" there. Does that make sense. I don't imagine a lot of women on this board do have nurseries.
Gossamer

Thanks OK if many don't. My first child had a nursery but we still shared the bed most nights until she was much older.

I think having a nursery is precious and a lot of creative fun (I LOVE home decorating!) And there will be occasions where the crib will be used, such as nap times or nights my husband and I want private time.
#11 of 65 Old 07-05-2005, 01:11 AM

We aren't having a nursery either. We have a one bedroom apt! The babe will be in bed with us as long as we live here, I think. We'll be here for at least two more years. Then we get a house! And the baby can have his/her own room! And we can start trying for another!
#12 of 65 Old 07-05-2005, 01:24 AM

We have a nursery. We're cosleeping in the beginning, but my family is full of garage sale mavens, so the babe needs a seperate room for all the clothes and baby appliances we've been given. Plus, I think I want to encourage napping in the crib. There'a futon right by it where I can nap with the baby and/or hang out with him and read, or play on the 'net or watch TV in the beginning when we're babymooning.

We JUST got the fabric for the crib set today... we're doing a 'froggy' theme, so we have blue flannel with green froggies, a yellow crib skirt and blue or green sheets. The walls will be green, and the futon and rug will be blue. All the furniture is painted shiny white -- crib, dresser, bookcase and changing table (which is a clever term for 'place to put all my cloth diapering crap so DH doesn't scream that it's taking over the house). I've just got a little sewing and set up to manage yet, and then I get to go seek out Froggy posters and acoutrements!

Spending all of my money and time on this wild, wild life.
#13 of 65 Old 07-05-2005, 01:40 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belleweather
We have a nursery. We're cosleeping in the beginning, but my family is full of garage sale mavens, so the babe needs a seperate room for all the clothes and baby appliances we've been given. Plus, I think I want to encourage napping in the crib. There'a futon right by it where I can nap with the baby and/or hang out with him and read, or play on the 'net or watch TV in the beginning when we're babymooning.

We JUST got the fabric for the crib set today... we're doing a 'froggy' theme, so we have blue flannel with green froggies, a yellow crib skirt and blue or green sheets. The walls will be green, and the futon and rug will be blue. All the furniture is painted shiny white -- crib, dresser, bookcase and changing table (which is a clever term for 'place to put all my cloth diapering crap so DH doesn't scream that it's taking over the house). I've just got a little sewing and set up to manage yet, and then I get to go seek out Froggy posters and acoutrements!

That sounds so cute! I love frogs :
#14 of 65 Old 07-05-2005, 01:51 AM

No nursery here either- we'll put the swing crib at the bottom of our bed, our hanging rail is going and will be replaced by some under-bed storage drawers, and the cot for naptime is going in the boys room. The big change we're making is that we're growing a playroom in the little room we currently use as a utility/dumping ground- running electric out to the shed and moving the bikes and tumbledryer out there, and (sniff) I have to get rid of some, if not all, of my books. I'm trying to compromise and keep half of each of the two bookcases in there, but I don't think it's going to work. (They're IKEA Billy bookcases- 2 metres tall, 80cm across, and with a LOT of books in them.) The boys toys are coming down out of their bedroom, as are baby's toys, and we're planning on filling the bottom shelves with storage boxes full of toys that can be removed as and when necessary, and then picked up and put away again. Oh, and there's a 10ft x 6 ft mirror that needs to come off the wall for safety reasons. We're probably painting aubergine and cream (it's next to the kitchen, which is coffee and cream coloured) unless a better idea hits. All of this should give us
a) more space in our bedroom, possibly enough space to get out of bed without hitting our feet on the walls.
b) more space in the boys room, probably enough space to put a cot.
c) somewhere for everyone to play
d) "own space" for Alex and Isaac, after 3.30pm and at weekends.
e) a disincentive to use the tumbledryer, thus saving the environment
f) somewhere for baby to play, which is close enough to the kitchen that I can see everything, but has a great big doggy gate in between us.
Oh- baby's clothes are going in a basket under the cot, nappies in a nappy stacker, no changing unit unless something drastic happens.
SO, what have I missed??

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#15 of 65 Old 07-05-2005, 11:18 AM

No nursery here either BUT I do have a cute little corner in my bedroom. Not that the baby will use the bassinet much but it is a family heirloom so we have it. I was thinking it will probably be used when I am having a little one on one time with Kyra or Erick when the baby is sleeping. BUt then again I may just lay baby on the bed surrounded by pillows. *sigh* if it is never used at least I have it there nicely set up in my room
#16 of 65 Old 07-05-2005, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I love the idea of a nursery, especially having space just to keep all the baby stuff. However, this is baby #3 and we live in a two bedroom house, so that's not happening.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#17 of 65 Old 07-05-2005, 04:09 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belleweather
We don't have a nursery (neither of my kids had their own rooms until they were over 4, but I DID have tons of fun making their room all bright & primary colored ), BUT, if we did have a nursery, I would soooo totally want to copy belleweather!! That sounds so cute! I love frogs & blue & green are my most favorite colors.

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
#18 of 65 Old 07-05-2005, 04:19 PM

Hope I'm not budging in here . We are starting to gather stuff to decorate our nursery. We got our crib at a garage sale for $75. We bought a new mattress. We plan on doing the nursery in a kinda jungle theme. We are going to be purchasing the zanzibar bedding and accesories, they are a little pricey but I love the design. Then we will paint the top half of the room a murky mud mask colored green and the bottom a khaki color and seperate it with the zanzibar border. We have started to collect stuffed jungle animals to put on shelves and are still looking at a leather glider or recliner. When we go visit our daughter for the first time we go visit the Guatemala City zoo, so we plan on taking lots of black and white pics to frame up as well and hang in the room. We are having a friend of ours write The Legacy of an Adopted Child poem for us with her name on the top to hang as well. No need for a changing table since she will be too big, and my mom and dad have already told us they are buying us a 15" TV to mount in the corner ceiling of the room like in hospitals. Not sure if we will actually put it in the nursery though.
#19 of 65 Old 07-05-2005, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMoe
If it's a boy, I will play up the red color. If it's a girl, I will play up the creme and add reddish pink also.
Why not just stick with the great red color either way? No need to color a gender, right? And red is such a strong, positive color!

ETA: we co-sleep, but have a room for ds which was painted a nice sunny creamy yellow color

We call his room "toy storage" :LOL
#20 of 65 Old 07-05-2005, 07:16 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
No nursery, but we did get a dresser so we can finally use the diaper changing table to store diapers instead of clothes. I have to paint it white and move it into the bathroom. We took apart our crib when ds was about 1 yr old and are going to sell the bedding b/c ds never slept in it once and it was giving people the wrong idea when they came over. I love if people come over and ask where the crib is - there is no crib! But the bedding was so cute - I miss it. Oh well.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
On hospital bedrest for pPROM since 23 weeks
#21 of 65 Old 07-05-2005, 08:47 PM

My "nursery" currently has all my books and my desk in it. In other words, it's still my study. I started to clear and clean things out. This is a good thing as I found some uncashed checks!

I guess I can't see how someone couldn't afford to decorate a nursery when it's possible to get so many things from freecycle. Due to freecycle, I'd say I've saved $1000 or more.We got a baby gym, pack and play, baby bjorn (to see if she likes it/would love to get a sling somehow), dozens of onesies, baby books, bathtub, crib sheets, sippy cups, fun toys she sits in, and so on. I've had my eye on freecycle for months. And friends lent us some baby bouncers and a mobile, which I can maybe use to entertain baby when I need a quick shower.

For decoration, we're keeping the color the same -- orange. She'll sleep with us until she's ready to move or we're ready for more privacy. One of DH's co-workers is supposed to lend us a co-sleeper.

We just got a $300 stroller off of ebay for $189 including shipping, so this having a baby experience is nowhere near as expensive as I thought it would be.
#22 of 65 Old 07-05-2005, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by henhao
My "nursery" currently has all my books and my desk in it. In other words, it's still my study. I started to clear and clean things out. This is a good thing as I found some uncashed checks!

I guess I can't see how someone couldn't afford to decorate a nursery when it's possible to get so many things from freecycle. Due to freecycle, I'd say I've saved $1000 or more.We got a baby gym, pack and play, baby bjorn (to see if she likes it/would love to get a sling somehow), dozens of onesies, baby books, bathtub, crib sheets, sippy cups, fun toys she sits in, and so on. I've had my eye on freecycle for months. And friends lent us some baby bouncers and a mobile, which I can maybe use to entertain baby when I need a quick shower.

For decoration, we're keeping the color the same -- orange. She'll sleep with us until she's ready to move or we're ready for more privacy. One of DH's co-workers is supposed to lend us a co-sleeper.

We just got a $300 stroller off of ebay for $189 including shipping, so this having a baby experience is nowhere near as expensive as I thought it would be.

We bargin hunt, too. Our friend paid $1,000 for his son's crib...
#23 of 65 Old 07-05-2005, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMoe
We bargin hunt, too. Our friend paid $1,000 for his son's crib...
Holey moley! I wish I had $1,000 for a crib - that would mean I could spend that kind of money on all sorts of stuff and keep my cheapy crib!
:LOL Too each his own - they obviously have that kind of money and feel it's a good item to spend the cash on.

BTW, my son's playroom was my dream library. We actually had the room put on the house (when we built it) for that reason. 12 ft ceilings, fireplace, windows...I was doing hardwood floors, dark walls, huge bookshelves with the library rolling ladder and leather puffy chairs....alas, it is now a great playroom!!
#24 of 65 Old 07-05-2005, 11:14 PM

We don't have a nursery. Our DD finally got a room after she turned 2 years old and has slept in it on and off (mostly on ) for the last year. DS will be in bed with us in our bedroom. It's the bonus room of the house and really has nothing in it but 2 queensize mattresses on the floor. The room is pretty "naked" right now, but I'll probably put some artwork up, get a nice light...I've always felt that I'd rather save the money that would go into a nursery for later and get the kids a really cool bedroom later on (with a could wooden adventure-loft bed or something. For right now the mattresses are perfect for me, DH, DS and DD (if she decides she wants to sleep in our room again).

Alex
#25 of 65 Old 07-05-2005, 11:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
No nursery here, too, but we do have a very large and long master bdrm, so we plan to put our crib, changing table and dresser at one end of it. I want to make some crib bedding that coordinates with our room (kind of a teal-y blue with cream and red flowers). Baby will be sleeping with us, but we use the crib for naps.
#26 of 65 Old 07-06-2005, 03:20 AM

We are just starting our baby room now. Even though we will co-sleep, I still really want him to have a space to organize his clothing and stuff. Plus I love sewing and decorating, so maybe it's more for me I will post pictures when I'm done.

I love froggies, and the Jungle theme sounds beautiful! I think we are going to do patchwork and turtles!

The room is very small. It has original 1927 wood panel walls, I just can't paint them! The carpet is tan ( I don't like carpet, so eventually is will be wood floors). My mom brought me my old crib and changing table, both are dark wood. The dresser we are going to use was my husbands when he was little. It use to be bright blue, but we sanded it down and have been using it as my dresser for years. Anyway, my dh is going to paint it, either tan or sage green. I can't decide. I'm going to look for turtle drawer pulls. I'm going to make the bedding and curtains. Probably purple, green, and blue random patchwork with a turtle applique on the on the blanket. Oh, and we have a little throw rug that is a light blue star shape (I got it for $1) I can't wait!

*erin*
#1 edd 10/29/05

Happily married, Waldorf-inspired homeschooler to Kylan (8yo), Everest (6yo), and Bodhi (2yo)
#27 of 65 Old 07-06-2005, 03:39 AM

No Nursery here. I don't think they'll ever be one despite what MIL wants.

I think that they are an incredible waste of money that we don't have anyways.

Hank's preferred our bed so far anyways.
#28 of 65 Old 07-06-2005, 03:59 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts_mamamama
BTW, my son's playroom was my dream library. We actually had the room put on the house (when we built it) for that reason. 12 ft ceilings, fireplace, windows...I was doing hardwood floors, dark walls, huge bookshelves with the library rolling ladder and leather puffy chairs....alas, it is now a great playroom!!

oh wow... NICE... the sacrifices parents make for their youngins *sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by *green*faery*
The room is very small. It has original 1927 wood panel walls, I just can't paint them! The carpet is tan ( I don't like carpet, so eventually is will be wood floors).
You can cover walls you don't like with cloth! It looks SO cool, and it can be stretched tight and smooth or gathered. If you are on a budget, Walmart has fabrics often for like 1-2 bucks a yard and quite a selection in bargin bins. You can staple the carpet in at the very top and very bottom, then hot-glue trim around the edges of the staples. I've seen the resutls before, it never faisl to amaze me out how beautiful it turns out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankiesmama

I think that they are an incredible waste of money
Oh I don't think so! I think it's so fun to decorate, let alone for such an arrival like the birth of a child. Even if the room sat and collected dust (which ours won't) decor is such a fun hobby!
#29 of 65 Old 07-06-2005, 09:42 AM

$1000 for a crib! Yow!

I don't even want to spend $300 of my **parent's** money on a crib. My mom wants to get us something big, and I am thinking about suggesting she put money aside for the college fund instead. After taling with folks here, I'm not sure we need a crib.

We've decked this baby out for almost nothing thus far. Thank goodness DH and I aren't worried about status. If someone wants a bugaboo frog and is happy to pay $700-$800, then great for them! However, I can think of ways I'd rather spend that money on other things I value more than a stroller. =)
#30 of 65 Old 07-06-2005, 11:29 PM

No nursery here either. Baby will sleep with us or in the crib next to our bed. I figure crib will be safest for naps to keep ds and dear cat from "loving" the baby too much when I am not right there to intervene.

Ds sleeps in "the kid's room." It is a playroom/bedroom that baby will move into too when ready to sleep in a twin bed. It is green, cream and manilla decorated with paintings. There is nothing "babyish" about it so it should last our children years without major redecoration.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page