"5W" herbs? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-07-2005, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just had a m/w appointment today...she is so great!

Anyway, she was talking about using something called 5W herbs for the last five weeks of pg. I had some more questions so I never really asked her to clarify, but now I'm wondering what she was talking about. Anybody have experience with this? I'm planning a VBAC and she wants to make sure I actually go into labor which didn't happen last time, but I don't know if the herbs have anything to do with that. Thanks!
#2 of 13 Old 07-07-2005, 05:50 PM

:
one of my sisters was talking about this, so I'm wondering too...
#3 of 13 Old 07-07-2005, 07:17 PM

I took these with my first pregnancy. My labor while fast for a first labor was terrible! (9 hours) I had severe need to push at only 7 centimeters, so bad that my body would physically drop/push down. By the time I made it to 10cm I was crying from the pushing sensation, it was like my whole body would contract. It made the labor sooo painful. At the time I didn't know any different. Oh also my placenta tore, which I have no idea of the cause but I suppose it could have been the herbs too.

My second labor without these was 31/2 hours and I had absolutely none of the involuntary pushing like with my first. Looking back I really think it was the herbs that did it. I personally wouldn't recommend them, but of course I can't say 100% it was the herbs.

I would do what your doing and ask stories, maybe mine was a fluke, but you want to be safe too.

Julie
#4 of 13 Old 07-07-2005, 09:43 PM

Hmm. I think I would question that advice. 5-W is good stuff, but it has cohosh in it, which is sometimes used to induce labor. With a VBAC, one thing you absolutely don't want to do is induce. I'm not sure why she would recommend that to you, but I would err on the side of caution and try something else instead.
#5 of 13 Old 07-08-2005, 04:30 AM

I took it last pregnancy. I wont take it again because when I went for a checkup my baby heart rate was very high, higher than usual, and I think i read somewhere this could be due to the herbs.
#6 of 13 Old 07-08-2005, 03:59 PM

Hey Angie, didn't know you were pregnant, congrats!

Julie
#7 of 13 Old 07-08-2005, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, I didn't know it could do all that...thanks mamas. The m/w also mentioned doing some cervix ripening stuff first, so hopefully that will work if needed.
#8 of 13 Old 07-09-2005, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
what is in her 5 w formula?
many 5 or 6w formulas have blue cohosh and black cohosh and although they can be used in combo to induce labor it is at much higher amounts than you would take in a 5 w formula--- this is usually raw powdered herb in the caps and if you look at the ingredients you are getting a fairly small amount of each herb . When used for induction or rather augmentation it would be in a concentrated form -tincture and a dose every 15 minutes. most 5 w formulas also have uterine relaxants in them as well and herbs that are high in minerals- over all they tend to be a nourishing supplement. there are several formulas and what you really need to do is look at what is in the formula -- and if you are not comfortable taking it then don't.

cariadanam--- your intense urge to push may have had nothing to do with the herbs - from a recent discussion on the subject of early pushing it may be a way to alter a baby's position and assist in dilation- certainly you had a quicker than average first labor at 9 hrs (12 hrs average) .
#9 of 13 Old 07-09-2005, 02:28 PM

i used something called ninth month tea. it does have blue and black cohosh in. my labour was very gentle and quick, 5.5 hours. i don't imagine it is a universal solution, but i will possibly use it again.
#10 of 13 Old 07-09-2005, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

thanks, that's helpful, mwherbs...I just heard from a woman where I live who uses the same mw and did 5w with a successful and generally happy VBAC. I don't know the formula but I know she recommends a certain kind that she has been using for years and years (she's 61).
#11 of 13 Old 07-10-2005, 04:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think that many midwives really like using herbs in this way to "help prepare" the body or to ensure that someone will not go over their due date or have a long labor.

Does your mw have restrictions on you going over your due date? It sounds like the reason for your cesarean was a failed induction, am I right? If so, I'd be really hesitant to mess with the way your body prepares for birth.

I'm not keen on advising women to take a supplement unless there is something wrong or something they are missing. Going over your due date isn't wrong at all. By implying that you should take this herb, there's a message that your body won't work without it. Fortunately, that is not true.
#12 of 13 Old 07-12-2005, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

well, it wasn't just going over my due date last time, and there were things "wrong"...it was having high bp (160/100) and I was almost 42 weeks, and my dd was 10lbs 9oz (different thread altogether!). I was feeling the effects of the high bp by the end and something needed to happen, I think. She didn't say it was a guarantee that we would do the 5w, just that it was something we could do if things looked the same as last time. Does that make sense?
#13 of 13 Old 07-12-2005, 09:15 PM

I have taken them in some pgs and then not in others. Doesn't matter - I always go to 42 weeks. Did nothing to my labors (castor oil did however so I would never do that again). Doesn't help me dialate any earlier or efface or make the baby move down. Maybe from some people it would be effective but I haven't seen any difference in taking them from not taking them. My mother took them in her last pg didn't do anything for her either.

Michelle

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page