Excessive thirst at night - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 07-13-2005, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have this every single night, and it's making me crazy. As soon as I go to bed for the night, I become incredibly thirsty. I wake up 8-10 times a night to use the bathroom :, and each time I am soooooo incredibly thirsty. So of course, I have to drink, which doesn't help the night-waking. It's only at night, and I don't know why. Anyone else have this? I don't remember this with my other two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 07-13-2005, 02:37 PM

I have the same thing for sure. I try not to drink, but I have a little sip and then end up gulping the entire bottle. I'm not sure what to do about it though, I'm just kinda going with it......
#3 of 11 Old 07-13-2005, 02:46 PM

How warm is your bedroom? I found I needed to turn the thermostat down (and freeze out my DH!) at night. I sleep in the bare minimum of nightgowns (only so I can take care of DD at night if she gets up) with just the sheet near me. While DH has shorts, a t-shirt, sheet and comforter over him!

I still bring a bottle of water to bed with me (on the nightstand). But I only tend to drink it right when I get up in the am. And I'm not waking up drenched any more.

Just an idea...

Michelle
#4 of 11 Old 07-13-2005, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
ME TOO. Every pregnancy actually, for the entire duration, so I'm pretty much just gonna go with it too. I wake up 4-8 times to use the bathroom & I am SOOoooOooo insanely thirsty. Like, one track mind-gonna-fREAK-if-I-don't-GULP-tons of water RIGHT this SECOND thirsty. I wake up with the crazy thirst often without even needing to use the bathroom, I'm just so thirsty! Isn't being pregnant weird & fun??

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
#5 of 11 Old 07-13-2005, 05:47 PM

I also have this and it is so frustrating. It was worse in the beginning, now it has let up a little, but no matter how much I drink before brushing my teeth, I must drink afterward. I always have to pee a few times even before I fall asleep the first time.
#6 of 11 Old 07-13-2005, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

LOL, well, it's good to know it's not just me. I wondered if I was dehydrated, or something. But, it didn't make sense that it was just at night. I have been unusually hot at night, too, and sleeping with just a sheet (when I'm usually always cold, and sleep with warm pjs and the down comforter) Being pg is definately weird .
#7 of 11 Old 07-13-2005, 09:53 PM

Are you drinking at least 100 oz. of fluid during the day? If you don't get it in, or you are drinking caffeinated stuff, you will be thirsty all night. I do that alot, thinking I have been drinking enough and then dying of thirst all night. I am actually trying to measure out my water now (5 water bottles) so I know I have all my water in by suppertime.
#8 of 11 Old 07-13-2005, 10:17 PM

I have this too. Trying to drink the entire city's supply of water during the day helps a little, but not all that much. I'm pretty much just thirsty around the clock, but I really notice at night because I know it means I have to get up in two hours to pee.
#9 of 11 Old 07-13-2005, 10:54 PM

Can I just chime in here and add my little 'story'? Way back, 7 yrs + when preg for the first time, the only thing I ever had my dh run out in the middle of the night for was: WATER!!!
Yes! I was sooo thirsty and very picky about my water and this particular night we were out of water and so out her went!!!
Just loved being pregnant even if it was weird at times
Thanks~L
#10 of 11 Old 07-13-2005, 11:07 PM

I get this too, and I think for me it has something to do with the fact that I forget to drink enough during the day because i'm chasign my toddler around all day, so he goes to bed and I start drinking and don't stop till the sun comes up...it seems to be a fluid in has to equal fluid out equation for me too...because I know if i get up to pee, i will HAVE to drink at least another cup of water to account for the loss....
#11 of 11 Old 07-13-2005, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm...I probably should work on getting more in during the day. It makes my nausea worse if I drink with my meals, so I have to eat and drink separately . It's weird I wouldn't get really thirsty during the day, too, though. Sounds pretty typical, though. I don't drink anything caffeinated, but I doubt I'm getting 100oz in--eek, that sounds like a lot!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page