When does nesting start? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-14-2005, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have an urge to clean. The heart is willing but the body is weak!
Too bad I can't clean till my back hurts, see the chiro, then go back to cleaning :LOL

I don't really remember if I did this with dd or not.

The last few days I've just felt really nervous that things are ready and I want them to be. I keep making lists and starting projects.

I'm not due for 6 weeks so it seems to be starting a bit earlier than I expected.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2005, 06:33 PM

Honestly, it has already started for me & I am only a little over 6m along!!! With my 1st is was about 8wks before she was due, but this one is a lot sooner!
I can't keep my house clean enough ( NOT a normal quality for me!!!!) I am constantly finding myself in the babies room checking to make sure I have what we need ( I KNOW it is too early for this!!!).
Old 07-14-2005, 06:42 PM
Banned

I never had it with my first
Old 07-14-2005, 06:49 PM

I'm due in August, and it started for me in Feb. I have it really bad now, but I'm supposed to rest so I have to be content walking past the piles of baby stuff without doing a thing with them.

hh
Old 07-14-2005, 07:20 PM

For me, I nested my entire first pregnancy! I thought it was just because we had moved into a new house and I had lots of unpacking and organizing to do. But here I am about 3 WEEKs pregnant and all day today I have been organizing! LOL
I am going to drive myself nuts.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:53 PM

I am 26 weeks and have been nesting for weeks...I wasn't like this with the others, it didn't kick in until late in the last trimester...but I have visitors coming at the end of the month so maybe that's it for me...although in the back of my mind it's for when the baby comes...in case my energy level drops later on~!
Old 07-14-2005, 07:57 PM

I've been fighting the urge for weeks, and am finally giving in.
I'm 28 weeks. :P

heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif

Old 07-14-2005, 08:10 PM

I have felt the need to get the house in order for the past few weeks, but it's not a NEED kind of thing. But it's beyond my normal cleaning, it's organizational stuff. I too fight with the tiredness and the housecleaning. I haven't bought any baby stuff yet (it seems like the grandmothers are doing it for me. :LOL); I'm waiting til after the shower. I haven't felt the need to prepare too much for the birth or the baby yet, but all the preliminaries, like the house, yes.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:06 PM

I had a big urge at around 28 weeks ( it even included a yard sale!)

then it lulled....now it's starting again, I'm almost 35 weeks.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My dh thinks I am crazy. At only 9.5 weeks with our first, I am cleaning everything from the closet to the fridge, freezer and garage compulsively! I feel great after I finish but will this go on throughout the entire pregnancy? My mother was cleaning the floor on her hands and knees the night that she gave birth to me!
Old 07-25-2005, 03:44 PM

I think a lot must depend on your personality. I'm 33 weeks pregnant and still not nesting. I'm just not much into cleaning and organizing. I want my house to be clean and organized, I just don't really feel the urge to do it myself!

Marie-Mom to two boys and a girl.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:51 PM

Ya, I cleaned the fridge on Friday, I had forgotten about some chicken...EWWW thankfully I cleaned the fridge first, and the freezer didn't smell anymore.
And even though I've been wanting too, I just haven't had the energy to get stuff done. I have a HUGE list in my head...and a smallish one on paper...but man oh man, I've probably been 'nesting' since about 26 weeks.

This whole pregnancy I have felt the need to keep things clean, but I had a "cleaning day" before hand. I'd clean on Friday's while doing laundry and dishes all week as needed. Once the morning sickness hit, it all went to hell in a hand basket, dh couldn't keep up with laundry, I couldn't stand the dishes. ah well, i've been playing catch up the whole pregnancy. LOL, ah well.

I think we nest early with subsequent childrend because our current children take up so much time! (it has taken me 15 minutes to write this because my 3.5 yr old ds doesn't seem to comprehend that it is nap time, not come out of the room and talk to mommy time....and that if he doesn't go to sleep inthe next few minutes that the pool will be closed by the time we get out of here!

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
Old 07-26-2005, 01:41 AM

i did it on and off for part of my pregnancy with k, probably starting somewhere around 20 weeks.
i have some nesting urges with this one already, but nothing huge-- though i suppose i could be writing off my obsessive need to organize and decorate k's room as just being a nice mama rather than nesting! :LOL
Old 07-26-2005, 02:03 AM

Ok so I have been nesting a lot! This house has never been so clean!!! Even better, it's so organised!

Clean out Front and hall closet
Kitchen cutlery drawer/pantry/cupboards
My winter clothes packed in boxes and put in garage
Sophia’s baby clothes packed in boxes and put in garage
Clean out book shelves…take all videos and pack in a box
Move white shelf and entertainment unit to opposite wall
Clean electrical cupboard
Clean under sink
Clean microwave stand
Dust top of cupboard
Clean out china cabinet and wash all dishes
Clean out desk drawer
Clean fridge
Clean stove
Dust living room
Clean upstairs bathroom
Clean off fireplace
Clean windows and screen
Sort through all linens and organise for homebirth
Store rest of linens in garage
Wash all of Alyssa’s clothes
Finish all laundry and put away(all oldest dd clothes had to be washed)
Pick up soil and plants for garden
plant front garden
Vacuum out couch and stairs and upstairs
Clean out fridge
take in van to clean
Clean carpets
Clean windows in back doors
Clean out kid’s room
Tidy all of house and dust

what's left on the list..tomorrow

spot clean walls
clean front door window
pull all rocks out of rock pond, clean the pond out, put in pump and put all rocks back(it's a beautiful fountain but there are leaves and grass that plug up pump so it hasn't been on this year at all)
vacuum out car
water the garden

Wednesday...dust, laundry and put away, clean floors...and if time permits bake pies! Apple and blueberry!

Thursday..nothing...inlaws arrive for a visit!

and of course all of this is along with all the work of a 2 year old, 11 year old and a 14 year old, driving them places, grocery shopping, getting storage containers, laundry, regular dusting and cleaning.

oh and I painted the fireplace mantle yesterday too...don't know why...it's needed it for months but I never bothered before :LOL

phew...at least now it's more of a maintenence thing...all the big jobs are done...if I can keep up on things it should stay pretty good until baby comes(wishful thinking uh?)
Old 07-26-2005, 03:04 AM

Boy Allgirls you've been busy!!! I think that nesting is different for everyone. I don't consider my cleaning and organizing the house as nesting. I'm ALWAYS getting something organized and deep cleaning the house.

I think nesting has to do with getting the baby's stuff ready, ordering diapers, and making sure that the breastfeeding stations are ready and stocked...etc. I haven't started that yet...I have a few months to go so I won't think of that until later on.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovnbnhome
I think that nesting is different for everyone. I don't consider my cleaning and organizing the house as nesting. I'm ALWAYS getting something organized and deep cleaning the house.

I think nesting has to do with getting the baby's stuff ready, ordering diapers, and making sure that the breastfeeding stations are ready and stocked...etc. I haven't started that yet...I have a few months to go so I won't think of that until later on.
Yeah...see the thing is the only time I get "organizational"(nice new word) is when I am pregnant...LOL...that's why I think of it as nesting! :LOL

I have another list to-do for birth and baby..it isn't very long and I will start on it next week...but a lot of things I have to put off...like cooking for the pp and herbal pp pads etc etc.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovnbnhome
making sure that the breastfeeding stations are ready and stocked
I was wobdering if you would elaborate? I only nursed my son for 6-7 weeks and am looking forward to breastfeeding for *much longer. What is a BF station? Where do you put them around the house? What do you need to stock it with? TIA.

*much longer=at least 18 months.

treehugger.gif Bex -- Single, hardworking mama to reading.gif DS (11), love.gif DD (7), & flowerkitty.gif Lars (13)
Old 07-28-2005, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bex80
I was wondering if you would elaborate? I only nursed my son for 6-7 weeks and am looking forward to breastfeeding for *much longer. What is a BF station? Where do you put them around the house? What do you need to stock it with? TIA.

*much longer=at least 18 months.
Gee, thanks for the support. :

treehugger.gif Bex -- Single, hardworking mama to reading.gif DS (11), love.gif DD (7), & flowerkitty.gif Lars (13)
Old 08-01-2005, 02:25 AM

Bex, mine consisted of a basket with the cordless phone, t.v. remote, nursing pads, a few diapers and wipes, Balmex for rashes, small receiving blanket for babe, burp cloth, Lansinoh gel, a copy of Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, and the fifth Harry Potter book which had just come out. This basket and my boppy pillow went with me in the house anywhere I needed to nurse. I didn't have a seperate station set up, though it's not a bad idea. I will probably have one on the couch and one in the bedroom in a rocker/glider chair. Some people like to include small bottles of water in various places around the house in case mama gets thirsty and needs water quickly. Also, if you have other children, you might include some packaged crackers or other snacks for when they get hungry and you can't get up yet because baby is still nursing. It sounds like a lot but it all seemed to fit well in my basket.

hang.gif  

Old 08-01-2005, 11:04 AM

Be11ydancer~THANK YOU!!! I imagined that it would include something like a magazine or book and something to wipe up milk/drool with, but I didn't think about water, the phone, remote and snacks and stuff. I think snacks for an older child is a great idea, since mine doesn't nurse, he will still get to have a 'bite' while Abigail eats, kwim?

Thanks again for your response. I was beginning to feel like a bit of a leper.

Old 08-01-2005, 12:03 PM

I never had prelabor nesting. Most of my nesting started at about 7 months and stopped a few weeks before my due date. My house was still immaculant when I went into labor though, because I couldn't stand for things to be dirty, but I didn't have that 'nesting' feeling.

I am only about 5 months now and it has already started. It isn't too bad but I get this strong urge to use soap, I LOVE soap and bubbles and cleaning products when I am pregnant. I have a strong desire to hand wash my dishes with dish soap, then put them in the dish washer. This happened with last pregnancy as well. Love the bubbles in floor cleaner, HAVE to be on my hands and knees. Love the bubbles!
Old 08-02-2005, 12:01 AM

I am 32 weeks and it hit me HARD this past week. I can't believe the amount of stuff I am getting done or how driven I am to do it. It wasn't like this with #1. My To Do List that I expected to spend the next 8 weeks trying to complete has nearly vanished and I have completed a billion projects I hadn't even thought of before. I can't put a book on a shelf without taking everything off, sorting, cleaning then reorganizing it. My 2 year old is loving it! He thinks Mama's new "game" is a blast. :LOL I hope we keep this up for another week or so. This place will be immaculate!

User Tag List